Re-entry permit with a Retirement visa

23 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Since I live near Suvarnabhumi Airport (and quite far from the Immigration Bureau), is it possible to do a re-entry permit at the airport even if you don't plan to leave the country at that time? (I wouldn't want to leave it to the time of my departure and have something go wrong.) Thanks.

As mentioned, a Re-Entry permit can be obtained at Suvarnabhumi Airport  - but as also mentioned the location of the desk to get the Permit is located in a secure area that you probably cannot enter without a flight ticket:

At BKK office is Zone 2 after security check and prior to passport control.

At DMK the office is just past passport control. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, DrJack54 said:

Yes you can obtain a reentry permit at an immigration office.

Some obtain one at the same time as they are obtaining annual extension.

If that was not done I cannot for the life of me imagine why someone would make trip to immigration when the painless alternative of obtaining permit at airport is available.

It's a no brainer. 

It might seem like a no-brainer. But for me it comes down to risk vs cost. I would rather spend all day going to the Immigration Bureau in Chaeng Wattana than go to the airport and find that just as I am about to leave the country, the person who was supposed to do my re-entry permit went to the toilet. Then I either have to abandon my already-paid-for trip, or leave the country and lose my visa and not be able to come back to Thailand without a great deal of trouble and expense. You may say that getting the re-entry permit is certain, and maybe it is. But it's a risk I'm not willing to take. Why couldn't they put the re-entry permit office in a place at the airport where people could access it without having to go through the process of leaving the country?

That being said, the next time I fly out of the country (with the re-entry permit that I get at Chaeng Wattana), I'll check out the re-entry permit issuing facility to judge for myself whether it looks reliable enough for me to be able to count on it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

I would rather spend all day going to the Immigration Bureau in Chaeng Wattana than go to the airport and find that just as I am about to leave the country, the person who was supposed to do my re-entry permit went to the toilet

That is a scaremongering post and frankly embarrassing. 

There is zero issue obtaining reentry permit at airport.

There are many immigration officers that would take care of application.

By all means waste a day at immigration..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

It might seem like a no-brainer. But for me it comes down to risk vs cost. I would rather spend all day going to the Immigration Bureau in Chaeng Wattana than go to the airport and find that just as I am about to leave the country, the person who was supposed to do my re-entry permit went to the toilet. Then I either have to abandon my already-paid-for trip, or leave the country and lose my visa and not be able to come back to Thailand without a great deal of trouble and expense. You may say that getting the re-entry permit is certain, and maybe it is. But it's a risk I'm not willing to take. Why couldn't they put the re-entry permit office in a place at the airport where people could access it without having to go through the process of leaving the country?

That being said, the next time I fly out of the country (with the re-entry permit that I get at Chaeng Wattana), I'll check out the re-entry permit issuing facility to judge for myself whether it looks reliable enough for me to be able to count on it.

What will you do when the officials responsible for stamping you out of Thailand go to the toilet, delaying you so you miss your flight?

There are many officials at Suvarnabhumi. Assuming that none of them will be available to do your re-entry permit is paranoia. Just make sure you allow an extra 20 minutes at the airport or, if really the worrying type, an extra 30 minutes.

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

What will you do when the officials responsible for stamping you out of Thailand go to the toilet, delaying you so you miss your flight?

There are many officials at Suvarnabhumi. Assuming that none of them will be available to do your re-entry permit is paranoia. Just make sure you allow an extra 20 minutes at the airport or, if really the worrying type, an extra 30 minutes.

Since I have lots of experience leaving Thailand, I know that there are always plenty of immigration officers at the airport to stamp me out of the country. But since I have never gotten a re-entry permit at the airport, I am (or rather was) concerned about that.

However, after reading all of the comments on the topic here, I now feel confident enough to get my re-entry permit directly at the airport. I'll just go to the airport a bit earlier than I otherwise would have. Maybe even a full hour earlier, just to be safe. (What can I say? I'm a cautious person!) Thanks to all who commented - and helped to save me a long and unnecessary trip out to Chaeng Wattana.

15 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

Maybe even a full hour earlier, just to be safe. (What can I say?

Just be aware that you need check in and obtain boarding pass as the reentry permit office is after security check.

The check in with airline opens well prior to flight time.

Don't go ridiculously early as check in may not have opened.

The permit office very often has no one waiting.

You will be fine. 

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just be aware that you need check in and obtain boarding pass as the reentry permit office is after security check.

The check in with airline opens well prior to flight time.

Don't go ridiculously early as check in may not have opened.

The permit office very often has no one waiting.

You will be fine. 

Noted. Thanks very much!

Thanks all for your responses. 

Someone told me that getting a re-entry permit at the airport is for emergency only. I would prefer to do it at the airport. But I'm afraid of losing my retirement visa if something goes wrong at the airport. My flight is at 1am on the 15th.

An agent quoted me multi-entry + his fees= 8k baht. 

Can my g/f (non Thai) get my re-entry permit for me at the Chaengwattana IO? Will an immigration officer be ok with this?

Or do I have to do it? When should I/gf go to the IO to get a re-entry permit?

Thank you again.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:17 AM, bangkokgalaxy said:

Someone told me that getting a re-entry permit at the airport is for emergency only. I would prefer to do it at the airport.

That is false info. It is for anybody that needs one when leaving the country.

The re-entry permit desk is open 24 hours a day. Just arrive at the airport a little early and you will have plenty of time to get it.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:17 AM, bangkokgalaxy said:

Can my g/f (non Thai) get my re-entry permit for me at the Chaengwattana IO? Will an immigration officer be ok with this?

No is the simple answer. The would only do it if you were sick and unable to travel to immigration.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:07 PM, RAZZELL said:

You can get a re-entry permit at Samut Prakan Immigration.

Make sure you go to the new office. It's on the first floor. I'd always advise to go early as it's a pain when they close between 12-1.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2021/09/103947884/

RAZZ

Why would he want to go to Samut Prakan, when he's leaving from SUV.

Strange post.

10 hours ago, thainet said:

Why would he want to go to Samut Prakan, when he's leaving from SUV.

Strange post.

Why? It was a reply to Bangkok Hank who says he lives near Suvarnabhumi.

If you live near the airport you might come under Immigration at Samut Prakan where you can get a re-entry permit.

RAZZ

58 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Why? It was a reply to Bangkok Hank who says he lives near Suvarnabhumi.

If you live near the airport you might come under Immigration at Samut Prakan where you can get a re-entry permit.

RAZZ

I stand corrected.

• Like 1