Need a new Android after 7+ years - seeking suggestions.

JimmyJ

I.e,. way out of touch with the phone market for a long time.

My phone is also my computer.

Will probably be purchasing it in Chiang Mai or from Lazada/online.

Will not be purchasing from a SIM Card provider (e.g.,  True).

I would ideally like:

1) Dual SIM

(Apparently that is standard in this region);

2) Large screen

(Although probably all phones suggested will be at least a bit larger than my current 5.5"/13.97 cm  phone);

3) Wifi Calling capability (using a USA SIM card I have which accomodates that);

4) Long battery life;

5) Lots of storage (SD card would be nice in addition to at least 125 if not 256 internal - or at least 256 internal w/out an SD Card);

6) Some way - hardwired or not - to screencast from phone to TV

(this is probably standard).

Current phone works on LTE/CDMA and GSM.

That's ideal, but plan to be in SEA predominately.

Open to any price if it makes sense/fills a need, but normally look for the best for the least.

I am not a gamer, so do not need a high refresh rate I don't think.

Don't take a lot of pix.

I probably would not miss much of what's included with the flagship top of the line phones.

Reading Sheryl's "Looking for a Samsung" thread, someone linked a Samsung phone review Youtube   video of about 6 months ago.

Watched that, then read hundreds of comments.

Both the reviewer and several posters agreed that the Samsung 

S20 FE 5G with Snapdragon 865 is worth getting/a great phone,  and that the S21 and S22 are only minimally different and not worth the extra cost.

Unfortunately, the battery life is supposed to be less than many other phones, so not sure about getting this one.

Whatever I buy I hope to be able to handle it in a b&m store first before online ordering.

Open to any brand.

Interested in your suggestions.

Thank you.

Edited by JimmyJ

Great Topic. 

I am still using my Samsung Note 4. 

The phone, itself, is still rather flawless. 

But, it is getting slow due to planned obsolescence caused by newly introduced software. 

Always buy top of the pyramid, meaning the Galaxy Ultra, with half a terabyte of storage and maximum RAM. 

The next phone I buy will be the last phone I buy, until the day I die... 

9 more years, and I will be pushing up daisies. 

I look forward to buying my next new phone from Samsung. And then, when it dies, so shall I. 

Samsung offers great technology for a reasonable price. After 8 years of using the Note 4, I am a believer. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, proton said:

Why support the Chinese companies?

If most of America buys phones made in China...who are we to argue........

Smartphone market share in the U.S. 2017 -2022, by model

As of January 2022, Apple's iPhone 13 was the most popular smartphone model sold in the United States,---Google

Is iPhone Made in USA or China?----Google

Foxconn is Apple's longest-running partner in building these devices.

It currently assembles the majority of Apple's iPhones in its Shenzen, China, location,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

If most of America buys phones made in China...who are we to argue........

Smartphone market share in the U.S. 2017 -2022, by model

As of January 2022, Apple's iPhone 13 was the most popular smartphone model sold in the United States,---Google

Is iPhone Made in USA or China?----Google

Foxconn is Apple's longest-running partner in building these devices.

It currently assembles the majority of Apple's iPhones in its Shenzen, China, location,

Yes we know most items are assembled by cheap labour in China but I don't think that is an excuse for supporting Chinese owned phone companies, who use the same sources. My next phone will be Samsung, I don't want all the profit to go to a CCP supporting outfit.

• Confused 2

@Gaccha - You mentioned in another thread that you have 2 Samsung S20's.

As mentioned, I'm interested in the 

S20 FE 5G with Snapdragon 865.

How recently did you get the 2nd one?

Do you have exactly the model and chip I've mentioned?

Battery life?

Anything not included that you wish the phone offered?

Did you get a 2nd due to an issue with the 1st, or you liked it so much and wanted a backup?

Very interested in your feedback.

Edited by JimmyJ

14 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

@Gaccha - You mentioned in another thread that you have 2 Samsung S20's.

As mentioned, I'm interested in the 

S20 FE 5G with Snapdragon 865.

How recently did you get the 2nd one?

Do you have exactly the model and chip I've mentioned?

Battery life?

Anything not included that you wish the phone offered?

Did you get a 2nd due to an issue with the 1st, or you liked it so much and wanted a backup?

Very interested in your feedback.

I bought the second as a backup around 4 months ago. No issues with the first phone: I'm using it to type this message. The battery of my first has lasted far longer than any phone I've ever owned. No issues.

The S20 is actually superior to the new S versions. 

The FE is 2,000 cheaper than the version I have. Why make the compromise? The high-end version is already far cheaper than its original price when I bought it four or five years back. 

This is what I bought:

1658721382759.thumb.jpg.305736116e456082c0b58c1a9cf88999.jpg

And I bought it from a very credible seller:

Screenshot_20220725-105642_Lazada.jpg.5bd0cdf7c5928801fbf16176437751e8.jpg

I use around 650 Apps on my phone. Obviously a "normie" who only uses their phone for Facebook and checking e-mails doesn't need such a powerful device. But it's now so ridiculously cheap...

It was a no brainer for me and my needs. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gaccha said:

I bought the second as a backup around 4 months ago. No issues with the first phone: I'm using it to type this message. The battery of my first has lasted far longer than any phone I've ever owned. No issues.

The S20 is actually superior to the new S versions. 

The FE is 2,000 cheaper than the version I have. Why make the compromise? The high-end version is already far cheaper than its original price when I bought it four or five years back. 

This is what I bought:

1658721382759.thumb.jpg.305736116e456082c0b58c1a9cf88999.jpg

And I bought it from a very credible seller:

Screenshot_20220725-105642_Lazada.jpg.5bd0cdf7c5928801fbf16176437751e8.jpg

I use around 650 Apps on my phone. Obviously a "normie" who only uses their phone for Facebook and checking e-mails doesn't need such a powerful device. But it's now so ridiculously cheap...

It was a no brainer for me and my needs. 

Great info, thanks.

I have a few questions - 

Do your phones have the Exynos chip (listed for the Global) or Snapdragon 865 (listed for USA)?

I know nothing about these - only that the video and posts I saw were very specific re: getting the  Snapdragon 5G and not the Exynos.

Just read GSMArena's review and reader comments - numerous battery life complaints re: the Exynos but the Snapdragon supposed to be better.

I see Snapdragon was in the USA/Japan/Korea/China models and Exynos for rest of the world.

_________

"The battery of my first has lasted far longer than any phone I've ever owned."

You refer to how long till it needs charging?

How long does it typically take to need charging?

Are there any features of the S20+ or S20 Ultra that would make them worth considering?

(I imagine not since you passed, just curious what features I'd be missing).

_________

It is dual SIM plus takes an SD card, but if the SD card is used it takes up  1 of the 2 SIM slots.

Is this correct?

Or a 3rd slot for the SD card?

________

Never had a 5G phone - I assume they must be backward compatible with 4G LTE and

3 G?

________

Thanks for your help.

Edited by JimmyJ

It's an Exynos. 

I have noticed no deterioration in battery capability or charging time since I bought it. Unlike iPhone, the manufacturer does not deliberately deteriorate the product to persuade you to upgrade.

Very fast to charge if its Supercharger (comes free with it) is attached (probably 40 minutes for 90% charge). If charged using normal chargers, probably twice as long. 

I can't answer the other questions with any authority.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 2:30 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Always buy top of the pyramid, meaning the Galaxy Ultra, with half a terabyte of storage and maximum RAM. 

No, not unless you want to waste money. Buy what you need, not what the manufactures,. or others,  tell you that you need, otherwise you are paying for a lot of capability that you will never use.  For example, I have a perfectly serviceable, for my needs,  iPhone 6, which I will upgrade to the 8 at some point, when it gives out on me, way behind the latest 13, which I don't need.   Start with a list, which you have, then ask around at the tech shops until you get a match to that list.  Don't fall into the tech manufactures trap (or teenagers trap) of always wanting the latest high tech, high cost gismo, regardless of need.  

On 7/25/2022 at 3:20 PM, Doctor Tom said:

No, not unless you want to waste money. Buy what you need, not what the manufactures,. or others,  tell you that you need, otherwise you are paying for a lot of capability that you will never use.  For example, I have a perfectly serviceable, for my needs,  iPhone 6, which I will upgrade to the 8 at some point, when it gives out on me, way behind the latest 13, which I don't need.   Start with a list, which you have, then ask around at the tech shops until you get a match to that list.  Don't fall into the tech manufactures trap (or teenagers trap) of always wanting the latest high tech, high cost gismo, regardless of need.  

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. 

I need maximum storage on my phone. Maybe I will up my storage to one TBytes of storage. 

Also, I have 15 (fifteen) TBytes in the cloud. This is actually a paltry sum, for me. 

My phone, no matter how fast, is ALWAYS too slow for me. 

Think of the future, if you live that long. Storage price keeps going down, although not as fast as we would wish. 

And, with 5G, soon we will be able to transfer 100 Gbytes of data from the cloud to our phones, in the blink of the eye. 

Most people, mistakenly, believe that the minimum for today will be sufficient for tomorrow. 

When I buy my next phone, I must buy something that will be able to handle my needs in the year 2029. 

2029 is the year during which I plan to shuffle off this mortal coil. 

Therefore, I must now decide the best phone for me, knowing that this phone will, ultimately, be the last purchase I ever make from Samsung. 

I love my NOTE 4. 

Samsung really built a winner when the company designed and released this beauty. 

I have NOTHING BUT PRAISES to sing for Note 4.

I just hope that my next important purchase from Samsung can match the reliability and greatness of the Note 4.

Believe me when I tell you... As the Beetles once sang... 

Oh, Man, I DO love my beloved Note 4. It has been with me by my side, through thick and thin, and never ONCE let me down. 

I love you, Note 4. 

I will shout it from the rooftops, even. (Get it?) Or do I need to explain the reference, and apt analogy, to you who are younger? 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just over ten months ago, I bought a Nokia X20 while in the UK. Probably not available on the Thai market but easily the best smartphone I've had since the original Google phone came out.

PS: I am totally Samsung averse (been there, done that with their bloatware).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Just over ten months ago, I bought a Nokia X20 while in the UK. Probably not available on the Thai market but easily the best smartphone I've had since the original Google phone came out.

PS: I am totally Samsung averse (been there, done that with their bloatware).

Yes, I also.

Unfortunately, learned the hardway.

I could deal with the bloatware/crapware garbage, but not the forced permissions.

Getting rid of the one I just bought.

Edited by JimmyJ

Motorola Edge 30

But I don't think there's a phone which satisfies all of the OPs requirements?

On 7/23/2022 at 9:38 PM, JimmyJ said:

3) Wifi Calling capability (using a USA SIM card I have which accomodates that);

Which service provider? Does your current phone support WiFi calling? Note that while most phones do support WiFi calling, the service provider may have a list they support, and performan IMEI check on.

Maybe look at some custom ROMs for the security/tracking/permissions issues, although they introduce a whole new set of issues.