Climate change, global warming, net zero emissions – What has Thailand done so far?

webfact

6 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Google skeptics. Look at how many there are.

Yes. And they're a tiny minority. It's a big issue involving an enormous amount of scientists in a wide range of disciplines. The consensus is overwhelming.

2 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Yes. And they're a tiny minority. It's a big issue involving an enormous amount of scientists in a wide range of disciplines. The consensus is overwhelming.

Consensus isnt science and there is no one opinion. Lots of views from mild to strong. 

• Like 1

Replying to Lacessit,   Venus atmosphere is 96.5 percent Carbon dioxide, 3.5 percent Nitrogen, and the rest are trace gases.

Look at the chart on Earth for a comparison, and tell me what is your point. Thanks

CO2 percentage of atmosphere.jpg

7 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

Replying to Lacessit,   Venus atmosphere is 96.5 percent Carbon dioxide, 3.5 percent Nitrogen, and the rest are trace gases.

Look at the chart on Earth for a comparison, and tell me what is your point. Thanks

CO2 percentage of atmosphere.jpg

The surface temperature of Venus is about 475 C - hot enough to melt lead. Because of the carbon dioxide in its atmosphere.

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The surface temperature of Venus is about 475 C - hot enough to melt lead. Because of the carbon dioxide in its atmosphere.

Cambrian period ...... C02 40x-400x today's levels, temperatures similar to today, when nearly all modern species appeared. 

Edited by BritManToo

9 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Consensus isnt science and there is no one opinion. Lots of views from mild to strong. 

Of course. But you understand what I was saying. This is not a controversial issue among the informed.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cambrian period ...... C02 40x-400x today's levels, temperatures similar to today, when nearly all modern species appeared. 

I would not say 7 degrees C hotter on average is similar to today. Nor would I completely ignore other effects, such as the blocking of polar ocean currents by the supercontinent Gondwana, or the dust levels in the atmosphere. You have heard of nuclear winter, right?

It's quite typical of climate deniers to cherry-pick data to suit their argument, so no surprise here. What does surprise me is the fact you have training in science, and reject it.

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Less than 1% of the world's population has any training in science, let alone the subset of thermodynamics.

Yes, there are lots of views and opinions on social media. I'd like just 100 baht for every one that is ignorant and stupid, with only belief to support them.

18 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

The country is irrelevant, you will not get now, next week or next century a zero footprint. CO2 is what plants feed off. Get down to zero CO2 and you could destroy a vast amount of vegetation.

Nobody is saying get down to zero carbon dioxide. What the science says is we had better stop increasing CO2 by burning fossil fuels, otherwise we are going to get considerable climate change insurance companies won't be able to cover.

Insurance premiums are rising rapidly. The premium for insurance of my son's house in Australia last year was $1900, this year it is $3500. Some beachfront properties in Australia and the US are now uninsurable.

Not sure what they have done, I do know I came into BKK a few days ago. Raining like crazy and still got the BKK cough. Left and came up country and a little better. Only country I have traveled to in the last few years where I get a cough just by getting off the plane. I can tolerate it only in the rainy season. Even then it is worse than any where else I like to go.

That alone tells me what I need to know about their effort.

Amazing Thailand

Edited by Gknrd

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Less than 1% of the world's population has any training in science, let alone the subset of thermodynamics.

Yes, there are lots of views and opinions on social media. I'd like just 100 baht for every one that is ignorant and stupid, with only belief to support them.

Same with economics. 10 economists in a room get 4 or 5 different opinions. There is no one view.

Nobody is saying get down to zero carbon dioxide. What the science says is we had better stop increasing CO2 by burning fossil fuels, otherwise we are going to get considerable climate change insurance companies won't be able to cover.

Insurance premiums are rising rapidly. The premium for insurance of my son's house in Australia last year was $1900, this year it is $3500. Some beachfront properties in Australia and the US are now uninsurable.

Insurance companies put up car insurance each year. Any flood they take a hit.

I would not say 7 degrees C hotter on average is similar to today. Nor would I completely ignore other effects, such as the blocking of polar ocean currents by the supercontinent Gondwana, or the dust levels in the atmosphere. You have heard of nuclear winter, right?

It's quite typical of climate deniers to cherry-pick data to suit their argument, so no surprise here. What does surprise me is the fact you have training in science, and reject it.

Do some math. Whats 40 divided by 7? Or 80 divided by 7?

Calling people deniers weakens your argument. 

Science is about proveable facts not alarmism.

Give me a good alternative to fossil fuels? Just look up all the by-products you take for granted and are derived from fossil fuels first. Then decide if you can really live without them. Maybe in years to come there will be a solution but there isnt right now nor is there one anticipated in the foreseeable future

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Give me a good alternative to fossil fuels? Just look up all the by-products you take for granted and are derived from fossil fuels first. Then decide if you can really live without them. Maybe in years to come there will be a solution but there isnt right now nor is there one anticipated in the foreseeable future

Solar power, wind power, tidal power, thorium-based nuclear power.

No argument fossil oil is useful in creating lubricants and plastics, although plastics are another pollution issue.

All those forms of power can be used to hydrolyze water into oxygen and hydrogen. The hydrogen can be converted to ammonia for transport, then reconstituted at the point of use.

The technology is there, it's a matter of governments putting the taxpayer's money where their mouth is. Instead of giving free kicks to the fossil fuel industry. One of the world's biggest lobby groups.

Future generations will probably be astounded by the folly of our generations in failing to take advantage of free energy.

I am so confused, my daughter is in the US, and she tells me that the banks are lending money to the tune of Trillions for real state development on the Florida Coast. Now if you look at the area on Google Maps you will see that all of that area  where they are developing is only 1 to 2 Meter above sea level. Do they know something we don't? Oh, not to mention Bill Gates is buying up all the farmland in the US, he now owns more farm land that any other individual.

Edited by Noris
error
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noris said:

I am so confused, my daughter is in the US, and she tells me that the banks are lending money to the tune of Trillions for real state development on the Florida Coast. Now if you look at the area on Google Maps you will see that all of that area  where they are developing is only 1 to 2 Meter above sea level. Do they know something we don't? Oh, not to mention Bill Gates is buying up all the farmland in the US, he now owns more farm land that any other individual.

You think developers are going to be focused on what could happen 10,20 or 30 years from now? Their business cycle is usually 18 months, then they walk away with their profits. If they get it wrong, it is years before anyone catches up.

Florida is one of the most vulnerable parts of America to hurricanes, which are only going to get more intense, obeying the First Law of Thermodynamics.

While it is fiction, I suggest you read "Condominium" by John D. MacDonald. It's a good look at the very real weaknesses of transient land in the Florida Keys. One of America's greatest authors.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You think developers are going to be focused on what could happen 10,20 or 30 years from now? Their business cycle is usually 18 months, then they walk away with their profits. If they get it wrong, it is years before anyone catches up.

Florida is one of the most vulnerable parts of America to hurricanes, which are only going to get more intense, obeying the First Law of Thermodynamics.

While it is fiction, I suggest you read "Condominium" by John D. MacDonald. It's a good look at the very real weaknesses of transient land in the Florida Keys. One of America's greatest authors.

Banks are lending over 25 years, they would not do that if seas were going to rise in the near future

1 hour ago, Noris said:

Banks are lending over 25 years, they would not do that if seas were going to rise in the near future

If you can show me one bank executive with a degree in physics or an understanding of thermodynamics, I would be very surprised. The vast majority are bean counters.

OTOH, insurance companies employ people who understand risk. Premiums are going up because their actuaries don't like the odds.

IIRC, it was banks who were bailed out during the GFC due to the dumb bets they made.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2022 at 12:04 PM, KhunLA said:

Still travelling international ?

Why specifically International... we need to really protect the environment by not traveling at all.... walking/running/cycling only maybe. Old folks can use hand driven wheelchairs and zimmer frames. 

Nobody addresses the real elephant in the room... too much breeding!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1