How to get Thai Drivers licence

Did a search but couldnt find the answer, what are the requirements for getting a Thai licence?  What Visa do you need?  Is it impossible for "tourists" to get one?  Does Thailand allow foreigners to use their home country's licence as a valid licence for a certain amount of time?  Thankyou

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Does Thailand allow foreigners to use their home country's licence as a valid licence for a certain amount of time? 

What license/country do you have?

Thread is in the Motorcycles forum.

So you ask about motorcycle license?

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, blackshadow said:

search this site for answers.......this topic has been covered many many times.......

I did search as stated in the first line of my post lol, for whatever reason I failed to pull up that very helpful thread with the video containing the info I needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

I did search as stated in the first line of my post lol, for whatever reason I failed to pull up that very helpful thread with the video containing the info I needed.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=how+to+get+thai+driving+licence&type=E210US91215G0#id=3&vid=e3688f8dc4ca5e76ec9831ff26c6fac6&action=click

9 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

A real search for important information requires rephrasing the question and a degree of diligent attention when perusing the answers.

• Haha 1

Obviously did not try very hard.

You could visit the Dept of Land transport and ask questions.

You could check online, there is a wealth of information eg กรมการขนส่งทางบก | Department of Land Transport (dlt.go.th)

Do an online search eg "Thai driving license"

Strange that a tourist needs a Thai driving license, your home countries driving license with an IDP obtained in your home country against the driving license would be sufficient for a tourist to drive in Thailand.

What is an IDP | International Driving Permit

Edited by userabcd

10 hours ago, TheLaughingMan said:

Don't bother with clever socks on here the search facility is rubbish.

Does your Canadian license have motorbike category stated on it.

The only way and I don't know where you stay but just go DLT and ask for a motorcycle license the worse that could happen is they book you a motorbike test and that's easy it's kids stuff. 

Goodluck. 

You can use your Canadian DL if its a full license for car or bike.

You can use your Home DL for up to 90 days if you get stopped by police who just want buck just pay the 400 baht fine. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't bother with clever socks on here the search facility is rubbish.

Does your Canadian license have motorbike category stated on it.

The only way and I don't know where you stay but just go DLT and ask for a motorcycle license the worse that could happen is they book you a motorbike test and that's easy it's kids stuff. 

Goodluck. 

You can use your Canadian DL if its a full license for car or bike.

You can use your Home DL for up to 90 days if you get stopped by police who just want buck just pay the 400 baht fine. 

You've done it this way?  just go and they give you one?

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

You've done it this way?  just go and they give you one?

Not sure what you are on about but I drove with my UK home licence in Thailand until I did both Thai driving licences at my home location DLT office with my UK full driving licence to get my 2 Thai drivers licences.

The OP has a Canadian driving licence so if he goes to his local DLT he will find out what he needs to do to get a Thai DL for a motorcycle.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not sure what you are on about but I drove with my UK home licence in Thailand until I did both Thai driving licences at my home location DLT office with my UK full driving licence to get my 2 Thai drivers licences.

The OP has a Canadian driving licence so if he goes to his local DLT he will find out what he needs to do to get a Thai DL for a motorcycle.

What I meant was it as simple as going in with your countries driver's license, paying a fee, and getting a Thai license?

or did you have to do that 2 days of classes and tests as seen in the video shared above to get your thai license?  https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=how+to+get+thai+driving+licence&type=E210US91215G0#id=3&vid=e3688f8dc4ca5e76ec9831ff26c6fac6&action=click

and also seems  confirmed here(i do not know, and why I'm asking you what your experience was)  via the official link https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

In advance, I appreciate you sharing your experience in this.

BTW, which region office did you go as well?

Thank you

***Just dropping by their office to find out what I need to do is a massive time suck as I do not live close to one. 

The intention is to find out prior to going so I don't lose an entire day just fact finding, and have to go there multiple times. 

Edited by Dart12

18 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

What I meant was it as simple as going in with your countries driver's license, paying a fee, and getting a Thai license?

or did you have to do that 2 days of classes and tests as seen in the video shared above to get your thai license?  https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&ei=UTF-8&p=how+to+get+thai+driving+licence&type=E210US91215G0#id=3&vid=e3688f8dc4ca5e76ec9831ff26c6fac6&action=click

and also seems  confirmed here(i do not know, and why I'm asking you what your experience was)  via the official link https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

In advance, I appreciate you sharing your experience in this.

BTW, which region office did you go as well?

Thank you

Frankly I'm just trying help OP with advice of what falangies have to do to get a Thai DL today. 

My own experience was just going into my DLT near my Sukhothai home and get the 2 Thai DL's by just producing my UK DL but it was over 20 years ago. 

Now it's a bit different and depends on the DLT offices as some have different rules.

Basically it's what country DL do you have.

Does it require a IDP with it.

The home DL may need to be the photocard type with picture.

It will need to have in English all the categories of vehicles you are licensed to drive.

• Thanks 1

Slightly off-topic but I've heard a few times that Thai car insurance is invalid unless you have a Thai DL. Is this true, given that the insurance companies don't require evidence of one?

I mean, there are thousands of tourists renting cars with get-out-of-jail-free insurance on non-Thai licences. Is that different if you actually live here?

I went to local DLT office with Khun wife after we bought our first car.  I was put in the class with Thais applying for  licence (yes some actually bother with this!)

One afternoon's class on Thai High way code, and the medical at local Dr.  I think 100 Baht for medical.  

Never took the test on High way code as local DLT could no find their English copy of multiple choice computer based test, so given an oral test in English by the instructor.

Had to take a re-action test and colour blindness test, then explain the various 'groups' on my UK licence to the instructor.  Then photo take and licence issued for both car and M/c.

Not required to take the actual driving test.

I think that in total it took 1 1/2 days at DLT to get this licence, which has not been any use since.

When stopped at RTP checks, normally waved through so long as car licence in in date.  Sometimes office asks wife if I have a licence.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 3STTW said:

Slightly off-topic but I've heard a few times that Thai car insurance is invalid unless you have a Thai DL. Is this true, given that the insurance companies don't require evidence of one?

I mean, there are thousands of tourists renting cars with get-out-of-jail-free insurance on non-Thai licences. Is that different if you actually live here?

Most if not all Thai company voluntary insurance policies covering vehicle require the people who drives to have a full Thai drivers licence.

As for hire companies they may require an IDP as well with a foreign DL. 

For example my 1st class Thai insurance on my truck require the driver to have a Thai DL and be over the age of 25 years old. 

If someone drove my truck without a DL or under the age of 25 then the truck is only covered by CTPL govt insurance.

57 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Frankly I'm just trying help OP with advice of what falangies have to do to get a Thai DL today. 

My own experience was just going into my DLT near my Sukhothai home and get the 2 Thai DL's by just producing my UK DL but it was over 20 years ago. 

Now it's a bit different and depends on the DLT offices as some have different rules.

Basically it's what country DL do you have.

Does it require a IDP with it.

The home DL may need to be the photocard type with picture.

It will need to have in English all the categories of vehicles you are licensed to drive.

ok.  thanks for sharing.  Yeah. 20 years ago does make for many changes.

I'm USA.  Have my photo driver license and valid for both car and motorbike.  can get medical certificate of course and have residency.

If It's still the same as it was for you, I'd prefer that be how they still operate.

If not, (OP this might be what you want to do to), I checked with agent and it'll cost me 3500 to get it all done for me, no two days of classes and tests required.  

However, I'll have to go to the DL twice for some reason.

thank you for your help

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Robin said:

I went to local DLT office with Khun wife after we bought our first car.  I was put in the class with Thais applying for  licence (yes some actually bother with this!)

One afternoon's class on Thai High way code, and the medical at local Dr.  I think 100 Baht for medical.  

Never took the test on High way code as local DLT could no find their English copy of multiple choice computer based test, so given an oral test in English by the instructor.

Had to take a re-action test and colour blindness test, then explain the various 'groups' on my UK licence to the instructor.  Then photo take and licence issued for both car and M/c.

Not required to take the actual driving test.

I think that in total it took 1 1/2 days at DLT to get this licence, which has not been any use since.

When stopped at RTP checks, normally waved through so long as car licence in in date.  Sometimes office asks wife if I have a licence.

always get asked when pulled over on bike

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

***Just dropping by their office to find out what I need to do is a massive time suck as I do not live close to one. 

The intention is to find out prior to going so I don't lose an entire day just fact finding, and have to go there multiple times. 

Give them a call (or let someone that can translate give them a call if they don't speak English). That can potentially save you some good time if you are living nowhere near. Requirements between different DLTs can vary slightly so don't take anything you read online as gospel. Chances are you'll need a visit to the Immigration Office as well.

1 hour ago, 3STTW said:

There is no general rule, just check with your (prospective) insurer. It always depends. Some policies might allow drivers on foreign but valid in Thailand licenses and some don't. Some tourists might even have their own travel insurance that could cover accidents. Always ask the insurance company you want to buy from about your specific case and what they can offer. They usually have a range of policies.

My problem is that I have a full UK licence - but I (and my wife) had to give them up (no idea where they are) 20 years ago to get a Swiss license. SO I always use my Swiss one when driving here (never been stopped) and my wife (who also has Thai one but let it lapse) uses hers. 

My worry is that the insurance on the car is not valid if her (Thai) license is expired. Again she hasn't been stopped recently but breezily reckons the Swss one is good (where are not here full-time yet). OK pay the 400 baht expired licence fine - but what about insurance? And am I insured in our car wtih a non-Thai licence?

34 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

My worry is that the insurance on the car is not valid if her (Thai) license is expired. Again she hasn't been stopped recently but breezily reckons the Swss one is good (where are not here full-time yet). OK pay the 400 baht expired licence fine - but what about insurance? And am I insured in our car wtih a non-Thai licence?

It all depends on what's written in your insurance policy regarding license requirements. In theory it could even say that it doesn't matter for them if the driver has a license or not.

Assuming that your wife is Thai, under Thai law she may not use a foreign license in Thailand. She could theoretically still be covered by a voluntary insurance though, because this depends on the wording in the policy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Give them a call (or let someone that can translate give them a call if they don't speak English). That can potentially save you some good time if you are living nowhere near. Requirements between different DLTs can vary slightly so don't take anything you read online as gospel. Chances are you'll need a visit to the Immigration Office as well.

I found a very helpful group in FB to clear all this up.

I was gonna use an agent, but there is no advantage this time to do so.  And they are asking for 5,000 for the service.

I have no problem paying that when there is a time savings benefit, but they get no special perks at the DLT.

I'll share my total experience once I go forward.

From what I've understood lately, the process of apply for a Thai DL is much abbreviated if you're applying with an already valid foreign DL... as opposed to applying without a valid foreign DL. Supposedly, just a couple simple response tests as opposed to the full monty of everything.

About car rentals and Thai insurance coverage, that's an interesting and concerning issue. I've heard that might be the case -- that the insurance policies that come with Thai rentals require a Thai DL to be valid...  All I know is, in the past, Thai rental car places (I mean the official legit car rental companies) would rent to me solely on the basis of my foreign DL and the rental supposedly included insurance....

Now, what would have happened if I actually was involved in an accident while driving the Thai rental car while possessing only my foreign DL in terms of the insurance policy that came with the rental car, that, fortunately, I never had the misfortune to find out.

• Like 1

ok great info, my worry now is my Canadian licence just says class 5,6 which means car and motorcycle, it doesnt say that in english anywhere though.  Will I be able to prove what class 5 and 6 mean from Canadian websites when I apply you think?  Im not in Thailand yet.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:54 AM, TheLaughingMan said:

ok great info, my worry now is my Canadian licence just says class 5,6 which means car and motorcycle, it doesnt say that in english anywhere though.  Will I be able to prove what class 5 and 6 mean from Canadian websites when I apply you think?  Im not in Thailand yet.

You need an IDP going what you say about your Canadian DL you certainly would in our province or the alternative is doing the Thai DL test. 

• Like 1