Bizarre requirement from bank.

When I retired to Thailand, we lived initially with our daughter and I opened an account with the nearest bank. The staff were very helpful but would not allow me an ATM card, -" Farang not allowed".

Later, we moved to our own house and the nearest branch was in Hang Dong. Earlier this year I inquired at Hang Dong If I could open another account AND get an ATM card. "No need" A very peasant middle aged lady, who spoke good English, told me. I" I can do now". She needed my pink ID card and a photograph, which I had with me. Together we filled in a form and authorised payment of the issue and annual fees and she gave me a card on the spot. All done in 5 mins.

On Monday I went to the original branch to ask them to update their records to show my new passport number. I was told I needed a letter from UK Embassy giving the bank permission to do so. My daughter, who was with me, remonstrated that this was unnecessary, but was abruptly rebuffed. My daughter threatened to close the account and go to another bank. She was told that this would result in my account being frozen. I should note that the branch manager was not in the bank at the time and none of the staff would speak English. We left.

Yesterday, I was in Hang Dong and decided to try the bank branch there. The difference was unbelievable,. A very pleasant lady of about 30, who spoke good English guided me through 2 forms, photocopied both passports and my pink card and completed the change in less than 10 minutes. Thn she thanked me for taking the trouble keep them informed. I intend to change my account to Hang Dong branch.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If everyone just rolled over like you nothing will change but if many people complained maybe it would

You have to weigh up if your time is worth it, to me, as I get older, I just drop the ball and move on, that said in my younger days, I would being lighting fires and leaving trails........

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You have to weigh up if your time is worth it, to me, as I get older, I just drop the ball and move on, that said in my younger days, I would being lighting fires and leaving trails........

but now retired guys should have time to write an email, I'm not talking aggressive stress filled confrontation, but up to you

Sounds like you have a very friendly, cooperative branch.  Why would you ever go back to the original?  What advantage or reason would you care what the "original" branch is?

I opened a Kasikorn account in Patts in 2013.  I have never been to that branch after 2013.  Use phone app for everything and any branch I happen into if in person service needed {like change passport number} be it Patts, Bangkok or Udon take care of anything I need qwikly and very happily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 86Tiger said:

Sounds like you have a very friendly, cooperative branch.  Why would you ever go back to the original?  What advantage or reason would you care what the "original" branch is?

I opened a Kasikorn account in Patts in 2013.  I have never been to that branch after 2013.  Use phone app for everything and any branch I happen into if in person service needed {like change passport number} be it Patts, Bangkok or Udon take care of anything I need qwikly and very happily.

I have a renewal of extension to do soon, I wil lwait till after that

• Like 1

What a load of utter nonsense.  They often make up stupid nonsensical rules as they go along.  I opened two SCB accounts, with ATM cards,  with just my passport and my Thai driving license showing my address. My advice, don't deal with idiots.  If what you are told makes no sense,  it is often wrong, especially outside the bigger tourist/ urban areas  

Edited by Doctor Tom

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

What a load of utter nonsense.  They often make up stupid nonsensical rules as they go along.  I opened two SCB accounts, with ATM cards,  with just my passport and my Thai driving license showing my address. My advice, don't deal with idiots.  If what you are told makes no sense,  it is often wrong, especially outside the bigger tourist/ urban areas  

Agreed. Most times they make up jibberish twaddle because they either do not understand the question or do not know the answer.

It is just another way of not losing face.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I opened an account at Kasikorn Bank. All they wanted was my passport and that was it

5 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Likewise, only my passport required to open a Kasikorn Bank account

A passport with a Non-immigrant visa?

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

but now retired guys should have time to write an email, I'm not talking aggressive stress filled confrontation, but up to you

As my wife says, this is Thailand, straight in the bin, time wasted but up to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

As my wife says, this is Thailand, straight in the bin, time wasted but up to you.

Depends, if it goes to the correct person whose job it is to follow up complaints then maybe not, if it's sent to the manager in this branch of course in the bin