Thai researchers test wastewater to track spread of monkeypox

webfact

image.jpeg

The monkeypox virus can be detected in the faeces of an infected person. Photograph: Joshimer Binas/Alamy

Rebecca Ratcliffe in Bangkok

Monitoring sewage thought to be a quicker, more cost-effective way to understand the spread of the virus

Researchers in Thailand are examining wastewater for signs of monkeypox, as part of surveillance efforts to detect the spread of the virus.

Academics from Naresuan University, in Phitsanulok province, northern Thailand, began testing sewage at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport in May, adopting a technique that has also been used to track the spread of Covid-19.

Monitoring wastewater is thought to be a quicker, more cost-effective way to understand the spread of the monkeypox, compared with testing individuals.

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/28/thai-researchers-test-wastewater-to-track-spread-of-monkeypox

guardian.jpg
-- © Copyright The Guardian 2022-07-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Thanks 1

Academics from Naresuan University, in Phitsanulok province, northern Thailand, began testing sewage at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport in May, adopting a technique that has also been used to track the spread of Covid-19.

Really trying their hardest with this new scary disease aren't they?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, huangnon said:

Absolutely. Who do they think they are, testing to see what's really happening? They should just ignore it and hope for the best. I mean seriously, what possible benefit could there be to knowing what's going on?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, huangnon said:

It's really not that scary and nor that new [in it's hybrid variant form]

Yet, the usual officialdoms worldwide are making it out to be something it's not. 

To be expected.

Edited by zzaa09

17 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

Absolutely. Who do they think they are, testing to see what's really happening? They should just ignore it and hope for the best. I mean seriously, what possible benefit could there be to knowing what's going on?

Ignorance is bliss. 

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 11:22 AM, huangnon said:

"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), other complications include bronchopneumonia, sepsis, pneumonia, encephalitis, confusion and infection of the cornea with ensuing loss of vision."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/monkeypox-patients-symptoms-treatment-lesions-2844326

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), other complications include bronchopneumonia, sepsis, pneumonia, encephalitis, confusion and infection of the cornea with ensuing loss of vision."

Don't use words with more than one syllable, you'll just confuse the verbally challenged readership ????????

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

"According to the World Health Organization (WHO), other complications include bronchopneumonia, sepsis, pneumonia, encephalitis, confusion and infection of the cornea with ensuing loss of vision."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/monkeypox-patients-symptoms-treatment-lesions-2844326

Hey, you forgot about the partridge in a pear tree.

Hung around for 12 days I think.

Pesky little thing????????.

21 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

You forgot to use the words "potential," "uncommon," and "extremely rare" in your post. These words seem to be omitted a lot these days with disease reporting. One might argue that it installs a healthy fear in the reader; others may disagree.

3 hours ago, AddyA said:

You forgot to use the words "potential," "uncommon," and "extremely rare" in your post. These words seem to be omitted a lot these days with disease reporting. One might argue that it installs a healthy fear in the reader; others may disagree.

I can't add words to quoted articles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AddyA said:

Well, shame on WHO. Because most cases of monkeypox are mild and clear up without treatment. Unless I've missed an update over the past few days? But if the above is true, medical experts have a duty to emphasize the low risk and mild symptoms before they inform of worst case scenarios.

Some died! Not worth to mention for you? ????

15 minutes ago, AddyA said:

Thank you for setting me straight. I should probably read here more often for medical updates.

Righto then, I shall join the afriad and try not to listen to the so-called "experts" who spout things like... "Monkeypox does not spread easily between humans and requires close contact." According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." Source.

Indeed. 

Transmitted by direct contact with individual - skin, exposed to bodily fluids, sexual contact, etc.

Think Ebola or HIV/AIDS - similar transmission mechanics. 

Doesn't spread if one distances themselves from infected or suspected infected. 

I'm sure it's reasonable to suggest that many lesser knowledgeable types might insist that it's airborne transmitting. 

Wow. 

2 hours ago, AddyA said:

Thank you for setting me straight. I should probably read here more often for medical updates.

Righto then, I shall join the afriad and try not to listen to the so-called "experts" who spout things like... "Monkeypox does not spread easily between humans and requires close contact." According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention." Source.

I don't think anyone's afraid. 

It's not as deadly as COVID.  So far. 

Just stay away from Turkish baths in the meantime.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, huangnon said:

You signed up for your series of Monkeypox vaccinations, yet?

Monkey Pox vaccines aren't available in Thailand at the moment.

Are they available in your country yet?