Thais protecting themselves less against Covid - mask wearing, social distancing, hand washing all down concerns DoH

webfact

image.jpeg

INN reported in a banner headline that Thais were exhibiting behaviour that showed they were protecting themselves less against Covid.

They said they were ignoring pleas to continue to wear masks, social distance and wash hands. 

The truth however is that the figures in a latest survey are not down a great deal - and Thais have already been told in a directive that they need not wear masks outdoors in open spaces, notes ASEAN NOW.

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, said that people still need to protect themselves again BA.4 and BA.5 strains by adopting what he called universal protection.

Polls and surveys by the Department of Health that he heads suggested that comparing May to July mask wearing had dropped from 96.1% to 94.6%.

Hand washing had dropped from 91.5% to 88.1%.

Social distancing was down from 84.6% to 78.6%.

When all three were considered the adherence had dropped from 82% to 74.1%.

ASEAN NOW notes that as far as the Thai capital Bangkok goes, the number of Thais ditching their masks in public places remains extremely low. Perhaps that extra 1 in a hundred that the DoH figures suggest. 

Interestingly the INN article was in their "crimnal" news section. 

Many foreigners online think it's "criminal" (or idiotic) that so many people continue to wear masks in the street despite the relaxing of the rules. 

While many foreigners especially in tourism places have stopped wearing masks some still feel pressured into following suit given the fact that so many Thais continue with the practice.

For many mask wearing was easy because they did it anyway pre-pandemic because of pollution. 

Are you wearing a mask in the street or just heeding the advice to keep one on inside, in crowded places or within certain businesses?

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Agreed.  Covid is not over.  There are at risk groups that should continue to protect themselves when they go in higher risk areas.

I got it 3 weeks ago. I have 4 vaccinations.  Covid is not fun, miserable for 3 days then negative by 7 day test.

It seems hospitals and medical are managing Covid on a more outpatient basis and try to limit inpatients to the ones most at need.

Why the government doesn't require mask wearing on public buses, trains, and other confined mass transit is sending mixed messages to the public.

What I want to know is 'what are we waiting for?'

Ok, a year or two ago we had lockdowns, some types of business had to close and we had to wear masks.... 'until we reached herd immunity, mainly from vaccinations.'

But now there are new strains (always gonna be) and some countries have been laid back while others (Japan for example) have been strict but are suffering.

So what are we actually waiting for before masks come off? There's no 'in 3-6 months we'll be back to normal.' Pretty much everyone has been vaxxed, and some 5 times but still get infected.

Do people expect to be wearing masks (as per rules or voluntarily) in 5 years time? In 2-3 years? I would guess not, so my question again is WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR before people realise, or those in charge drop the mandate?

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 2long said:

What I want to know is 'what are we waiting for?'

Ok, a year or two ago we had lockdowns, some types of business had to close and we had to wear masks.... 'until we reached herd immunity, mainly from vaccinations.'

But now there are new strains (always gonna be) and some countries have been laid back while others (Japan for example) have been strict but are suffering.

So what are we actually waiting for before masks come off? There's no 'in 3-6 months we'll be back to normal.' Pretty much everyone has been vaxxed, and some 5 times but still get infected.

Do people expect to be wearing masks (as per rules or voluntarily) in 5 years time? In 2-3 years? I would guess not, so my question again is WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR before people realise, or those in charge drop the mandate?

I am guessing that a number of elder persons, particularly in the villages, will never remove them now.

That is their choice and if they feel comfortable, good for them.

WE are not waiting.....just do whatever makes you feel good but also respect others.

Good luck.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I noticed that less people wear masks. And I see a good number of males (after using a toilet), not washing their hands

Males not washing their hands after the loo is pretty standard here.

Much more interested in looking at the mirror.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, chalawaan said:

People everywhere are over it. In NZ almost half the people at the supermarket are maskless. 

I still wear one, and I have always been a hand hygiene freak. 

Unfortunately in Thailand Washing hands has never been very important.

New Zealand and other Western countries definitely have higher hygiene protocols. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Unfortunately in Thailand Washing hands has never been very important.

New Zealand and other Western countries definitely have higher hygiene protocols. 

strange that most of the people I observe not washing their hands are actually foreigners especially men

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, smedly said:

the people have endured almost 3 years of this ##

covid is over move on, we cannot live like this forever

in Thailand this no longer about covid it is about control, the public are not part of your military Mr Prayuth, they don't Salut or stand to attention

Only fools and Ostriches thinks that Covid is over, you only have to read and see the news how many people are dying of it EVERYDAY in many courtiers around the world and how Covid/Omicron patiatet clogs the the hospital's beds...

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Only fools and Ostriches thinks that Covid is over, you only have to read and see the news how many people are dying of it EVERYDAY in many courtiers around the world and how Covid/Omicron patiatet clogs the the hospital's beds...

When people say "Covid is over" they mean the general configuration of restrictions, emergencies, infection numbers every day, travel bans, and so on. Clearly the virus is still around, we all know that, but what some posters (and I) are trying to say is that we want to resume a modicum of normal lives. And some economic recovery would be nice too.

It goes without saying that precautions are still advisable for people at risk, but this should be their educated choice not a mandate. As for people dying EVERYDAY, it is interesting that they never tell us the vaccination and pre-conditions. 20-30 deaths per day in Thailand from Covid is still a fraction of deaths on the road (mostly preventable and that affect all ages), about which no eminent doctor posts warnings on FB.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, smedly said:

strange that most of the people I observe not washing their hands are actually foreigners especially men

Usually because theres never any soap in the bathrooms.  No use just running your hands under filthy tap water. 

20 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Usually because theres never any soap in the bathrooms.  No use just running your hands under filthy tap water. 

The Mall bathrooms seem to be okay in that respect... just the dryers are out of order or ineffective.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The Mall bathrooms seem to be okay in that respect... just the dryers are out of order or ineffective.

The malls and PTT gas stations are fine.

I'm in Issan and in the large open air markets theres usually no soap.

Hygiene protocols in Issan are lacking for sure. 

Nothing compares to Terminal 21 bathrooms though! 

On 7/31/2022 at 6:16 AM, ezzra said:

People die everyday from all sorts of things. Did you know that? That’s what we do unfortunately. Flu is a horrible killer. It’s just covid is still the in thing, keeping the tinfoil hat brigade on edge. Move on already and try to enjoy your life!

Edited by daveAustin