Received only a few month extension until expiry date of old passport instead of a new 1 year into the new PP i've presented them. (Non-o Married extension)

Dissapointed..

Non-o marriage extension Nr. 18.. My annual visa always expired on 28 July. Date never changed in 18 years. so i applied as usual 1 month before expiry date with all the Paperwork,Photos,Bank statements,etc. My application for 1 year extension was accepted, the "visa is under consideration" stemp in the PP. -All good-.

Then the Immigration officer told me to get a new PP soon as the old one expires on 2.January 2023. "Yes, i know" i said, "but haven't got the new one yet". About 3 weeks later, before "under consideration" run out, proudly i returned to IO with my brand new PP and expected to receive the new 1 year visa stemp into my new PP.  BUT NO!!! ... "I only give you visa until old PP expiry date" !

Shocked and hot dicussion starting. Why like that?? "Here is my new PP, please put the new stemp in"  "NO,NO can Not" he said, but coudn't explain why. He even requested a Photocopy of my previous old PP entry stemp from 2010 when i entered Thailad the last time.... "What???  Sorry that was 12 years ago!" No chance.. i had to go and find my old PP and copy the the entry stemp page from 2010!   

Finally, we left dissapointed the office with just 5 Month of Visa validity. Never had such a bad experience in all the years...

Remebered 10 years ago when i changed the last PP it was easy, visa tranfered into the new PP without any problems. For now it means, i have to apply again (2nd time this year) for a new annual visa extension in early December with all the paperwork,Photos,Bank Statements and of course the 1,900B fee.

Any others here in the forum who had similar problems? or does the IO officer just don't like me? 

7 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

You applied the extension using your old PP,  so the extension can be given upto the expiry only.

This rules exists from many years.

You should had gotten a new PP before renewal.

10 years ago it wasn't like that. I received the new visa in the old PP and then they tranfered into the new one. Maybe regulations have changed since.

30 minutes ago, biker1500 said:

10 years ago it wasn't like that. I received the new visa in the old PP and then they tranfered into the new one. Maybe regulations have changed since.

That was the case many years ago.

Not currently. 

• Like 1

Your local immigration have no control over this. They submitted paperwork to division HQ for an extension based on the old passport with its expiry date, and received authorisation to issue the extension. They would be risking their jobs if they gave you an extension that was not authorised.

I do recall that, at one time, Immigration would issue extensions that ran beyond the expiry date of your passport. That ended long ago.

3 minutes ago, biker1500 said:

That's how i remeber it. Never seen that it has changed and when was that?

I cannot tell you that.

Ubonjoe will no doubt answer that question at some point.

I am aware that years ago you could obtain extension exactly as you did with extention expiry till expiry of passport. 

Then if you obtained pp renewal the immigration office would change the untill date to give you the full 12 months.

Has not been the case for some time. 

Fortunately picked up on this on another thread a week or two ago as I was unaware of it, new passport application went in this week. Would have lost a few months of next visa extension and as important would have meant renewing in the height of high season in the future when the office is at its busiest and best avoided.

19 hours ago, biker1500 said:

Nothing has changed.  They still transfer the expiry date of your extension of stay from your old PP to your new PP.

1 hour ago, Kopitiam said:

Nothing has changed.  They still transfer the expiry date of your extension of stay from your old PP to your new PP.

He is talking about obtaining an extension of stay - if one year requested it is valid only until the expiration date of presented passport and if transferred would remain that same expiration date.  In the past you could extend with six month remaining and when transferred into new passport they would add six months to make it a full year - but that was long ago.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

It was changed in August of 2013.

Thanks Joe.

I was unaware of the new regulation. Wish i had known that before applying.. I've changed to my last PP in May 2013 when it was still the old regulation. Would be great if you have a link of that 2013 new regulation? Can't find it