Why don't Makro make this small change?

ESLTeacher1989

14 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Ok so let say instead of Makro ......selling sliced chicken breast for a higher price, they allowed Makro workers during Non-peak hours to provide a cutting service for just 5-10B added on as a Tip for the work

Why don't you find a shop with a deli counter... then you will be happy?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are plenty of retailers 

At local supermarkets here in Siem Reap (Cambodia), chicken breasts are still sold "whole" just like our MAKRO. I do not know of any establishment that sells sliced chicken breasts. To pay more for slicing would not go down well with the majority of locals here - one does it oneself, so easy!

Personally, I prefer whole chicken breasts as I prepare my own food and can process them according to what dish I want. I slice cold cooked chicken for salads, chunk or cube fresh chicken for cooking in curries and stews etc. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Actually I do ,so yeah there's that ???? .........I earn nearly $3,000 per monthly passively selling digital educational products........

Suppose I told you there was a way that with some effort, you can earn an extra 1 baht per day - 365 baht per year...

500 baht for a Makro is nothing - and besides that, most Thai don't mind slicing things if they can save some money. Westerners have a time is money philosophy, not so for Thai. 

But, you keep at it, I am sure Makro appreciates your help. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Scrolling through the forum looking for, and failing to find, stimulating, interesting or informative threads to try to revive my mental fatigue. 

All I'm finding is cut meats from an English teacher with bad grammar.

Why stoop so low as to insult the OP's grandma?

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Sounds good but it opens a van of worms. 

Starting pay is 10,300

Hiring staff to do a specific job then allowing the staff to independent using company time to make extra where does it stop?  As a customer I need help have a question but employee tend to making extra money?  What happens if he slices his finger making that extra?  If successful the word get around now you have envious employee all wanting a cut as noted you might end up with a revolt with staff. 

If what you suggest is doable should be incorporated as part of the service already provided.  Good customer service if customer request is do it if not policy politely respond no.

Dealing with a live business is much different than online selling. 

Were talking about the primary reason for employment / the main reason why the job exists which constitutes a specific continuous output with stated expected measured output numbers. A secondary & at the whim of the employee reason for the employment might well bring more problems than wanted, and therefore a need to continuously get outputs back to what's expected in terms of the primary reason for the job.

Unless closely monitored there's a strong possibility the employee will focus most of their attention and activity on the 'at whim' aspect of the job because it brings extra money. Unless closely monitored the expected outputs for primary reason for the existence of the job will not be fulfilled at the level expected / at the level expected to fulfill one aspect of the value chain.

Cost control is always in the picture and that includes the cost of management & supervisory activity. Therefore In best practice the work activity / work flow should be designed so that it needs a bare minimum of management & supervision and that includes having a job description for evry job which states an absolute continuous output. If employees are allowed to move to 'extra work to gain more income' as they please, then it's possible too much management & supervisory activity is present, all costing money, and posibly taking management & supervisory away from other areas of the overall operation.

Further in modern very efficient, high output companies managers and supervisory would be expected to have strong focus on innovation/identifying and implementing processes which increase productivity and reduce costs rather than constant supervision of the tasks mentioned above. 

Lecture finished.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I have a better "Why don't Macro....". Why don't Macro stop that silly check on the goods I've already bought and paid for at the checkout. They're the only supermarket (as far as I know) who do it. There was no one to check me a few weeks back, but when I tried to walk out the exit, a security guard on the door put an arm across me and told me to wait. 
I know they're trying to prevent fraud happening on the checkouts, but I thought that the odd spot check would be a sufficient deterrent, not checking every tom, dick and harry. I've noticed recently that Lotus South Pattaya seem to have stopped their spot checks for a while now.

Why? Thai's dont eat sliced chicken sandwiches very much. Plus an easy solution. Buy some chicken breasts as I do. Take them home and season them. But them in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 180. Take them out and slice them. Hopefully you will have mustard or mayonnaise along with some lettuce, tomatoes, perhaps some thinly sliced onions along with the bread of your choice. Make your sandwich up enjoy and save some money. 

3 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I have a better "Why don't Macro....". Why don't Macro stop that silly check on the goods I've already bought and paid for at the checkout. They're the only supermarket (as far as I know) who do it. There was no one to check me a few weeks back, but when I tried to walk out the exit, a security guard on the door put an arm across me and told me to wait. 
I know they're trying to prevent fraud happening on the checkouts, but I thought that the odd spot check would be a sufficient deterrent, not checking every tom, dick and harry. I've noticed recently that Lotus South Pattaya seem to have stopped their spot checks for a while now.

Big C has a checkpoint as you exit in many locations, do they check everyone no they do not, and Makro does check everyone, just like COSTCO in the US and S&R in the Philippines.  Add in that at the checkout desk, well at least on Rama 3 they also validate the parking card so your parking was free.

I'm a Chef, have worked in some of the best restaurants and hotels in Asia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Dubai. I moved back to the US 3 months before COVID, and all (most) of the hotels and restaurants shut down. so I took a job in a high end grocery store in Seattle as a butcher.

I don't want to mention any ethnic group but on Sunday's they would want a whole chicken cut up for let's say Curry, there would be about 25+ each day. So it took who ever to cut it up about 10 minutes each time to cut and wrap 25 chickens is 4 hours taken out from stocking, cleaning, customer service...etc........and then they look at you like why did it take so long? with no charge...

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, RT555 said:

I don't want to mention any ethnic group but on Sunday's they would want a whole chicken cut up for let's say Curry, there would be about 25+ each day. So it took who ever to cut it up about 10 minutes each time to cut and wrap 25 chickens is 4 hours taken out from stocking, cleaning, customer service...etc........and then they look at you like why did it take so long? with no charge...

The difference here is that you worked in a high end grocery store (read premium prices), while Makro is a low end cash and carry

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Big C has a checkpoint as you exit in many locations, do they check everyone no they do not, and Makro does check everyone, just like COSTCO in the US and S&R in the Philippines.  Add in that at the checkout desk, well at least on Rama 3 they also validate the parking card so your parking was free.

I have never seen a checkpoint in any Big C or Lotus. Also every Makro I have visited, and that is quite a few, in the past 5 years or even more, has done away with the parking fee.

I have to say, I never visited any of those shops in Bangkok, so maybe they have a reason for it in that area.

If the reason is that they want to check on their cashiers, they simply could install a cctv above each check out, as they do in my home country.

But no, they just want to humiliate the customer by treating him as a suspect

On 8/5/2022 at 10:18 AM, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Actually I do ,so yeah there's that ???? .........I earn nearly $3,000 per monthly passively selling digital educational products........

OP I feel for you, most of the time on here you get shot down by a good percentage, but man this one was bad.....

I take it you're new to Thailand so if you're looking for good service you came to the wrong place. 

As for running a business...well if you dont have employee's and all their personal issues and inventory, logistics etc then you dont really have a business, so yeah there's that....

• Like 1