Going Back to UK with Passport(2 months left).

I was planning to go to the UK in October but just realized one of my daughters only has 3 months on her UK passport. 

Her grandmother is freaking out saying she will not be able to travel but I think she might be OK, using her Thai passport(which has 6 months left) to leave Thailand. When leaving the UK, the Thai one will only have 4 months left, but surely Thailand can't refuse her entry, like the UK can't refuse her entry. Maybe there would be a problem with the airline? Obviously, it would be better if she can get new passports but does anyone know the turnaround time right now? 

You can enter UK on expired UK passport (but not enter other countries) but best to carry some evidence of citizenship (e.g. UK birth certificate). Similarly can enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport.

But the real problem might be persuading a carrier to accept you!

• Like 2

She will be fine in both directions, but a Thai passport can be got almost same day in BKK.

My daughter's UK passport took 11 weeks to get, also in BKK.

Do NOT apply for the UK one, because she will not be able to travel on the old one from the day she applies for a renewal. Don't forget it's international/UK summer hols, so things might take at least 11 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

A UK passport with only 1 day left on it will still get her back into the UK. It's when travelling to foreign countries where they want you to have x months left on your passport. I would think it would be the same for the Thai passport when coming back to enter Thailand.

That's what I was hoping if it is too late to get a new Uk passport. Thai one is no issue.

24 minutes ago, 2long said:

She will be fine in both directions, but a Thai passport can be got almost same day in BKK.

My daughter's UK passport took 11 weeks to get, also in BKK.

Do NOT apply for the UK one, because she will not be able to travel on the old one from the day she applies for a renewal. Don't forget it's international/UK summer hols, so things might take at least 11 weeks.

Thanks for advice. 

Maybe could get an emergency travel doc from the UK embassy?

Maybe if that is not possible, get a visa on her Thai passport?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks for advice. 

Maybe could get an emergency travel doc from the UK embassy?

Maybe if that is not possible, get a visa on her Thai passport?

No need for an ETD, the UK passport is valid for travel as is the Thai passport for the return trip.

When you say only three months validity on the passport, do you mean now or on the date of arrival, how long is the trip?

You wouldn't be able to leave the UK on an expired passport, but she'd exit on the Thai passport in any case.

• Like 1

Just now, Road Warrior said:

everyone knows MUST HAVE 6 MONTHs on any passport to travel anywhere !!!

My other daughter was caught out in Laos a few years back, they wouldn't let her in because of that. That is why I am asking here for clarification as don't want to pay 50k baht for nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

This rule does not apply to UK Citizens returning to the UK, with a valid UK passport, direct, regardless of its validity running out.   

Do you know anywhere I could check this? I believe you but want to be sure. 

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

No need for an ETD, the UK passport is valid for travel as is the Thai passport for the return trip.

When you say only three months validity on the passport, do you mean now or on the date of arrival, how long is the trip?

You wouldn't be able to leave the UK on an expired passport, but she'd exit on the Thai passport in any case.

How can she exit on the Thai passport when it won't have an entry on it? I know I can enter and exit on one of my 2 passports and then enter another country with other passport, but I'm pretty sure I have to enter and exit on same passport.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

In this case would leaving UK on a good Thai pp that has no UK visa/entry stamp in it be an issue? Curious.

I'm sure it would, but the only people that can say for sure are the relevant British authorities.

I'd start by asking the airline if they'd even allow anyone to board in that situation.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you know anywhere I could check this? I believe you but want to be sure. 

Australia also allows citizens to return on expired passports. The 6 month validity rul is only required when travelling to another country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

In this case would leaving UK on a good Thai pp that has no UK visa/entry stamp in it be an issue? Curious.

There are no embarkation controls leaving the UK, the check in staff would need sight of her Thai passport to ascertain she could travel to Thailand without a return ticket.

• Like 2

Just called the UK embassy who advised me that all she needs is a valid passport when entering the UK, no time requirement.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How can she exit on the Thai passport when it won't have an entry on it? I know I can enter and exit on one of my 2 passports and then enter another country with other passport, but I'm pretty sure I have to enter and exit on same passport.

They couldn't answer my  question about leaving the UK on a Thai passport. 

On 8/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, Neeranam said:

That's what I was hoping if it is too late to get a new Uk passport. Thai one is no issue.

Best to get a new UK passport when back in Uk.

You can book an online appointment at the local passport office....costs a bit more but very fast

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gavlar said:

Best to get a new UK passport when back in Uk.

You can book an online appointment at the local passport office....costs a bit more but very fast

Do you mean book now for a couple of months time?

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 4:51 PM, Neeranam said:

A good set of answers so far...  

You can get the Thai Passport in one day - make an online booking rather than turning up as the queue is a long one (they have a passport office at Seacon or at Lumpini MRT).

You can (or could up until Covid) also get the UK passport in one day while in the UK. 

You have to call up for a booking and state that you have a flight out etc.

You’ll pay a premium (cost is £177) for the one day service and have to go there in person, drop off in the morning and pick up in the afternoon. 

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you mean book now for a couple of months time?

You have to book when you are in the UK (otherwise the’ll tell you to get an emergency travel document)...  

BUT... (a Big But).... Make sure there are appointments available - since Covid the HMPO has gone down the drain....  massively under-staffed with so many throwing sickies !!...  

So, don’t be surprised if you can’t get an appointment - In which case: Just use the Thai Passport to return, then apply for the British Passport from Thailand (then it doesn’t matter if it takes 12 weeks or so). 

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Just called the UK embassy who advised me that all she needs is a valid passport when entering the UK, no time requirement.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They couldn't answer my  question about leaving the UK on a Thai passport. 

UK Immigration doesn’t check passports upon departure.... (just a cursory ‘flash’ of ID page at security) - so the validity is a non-issue.

For Airline check-in your daughter will show her Thai Passport anyway to show she has permission to enter Thailand. 

• Like 2