Going Back to UK with Passport(2 months left).

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Do you mean book now for a couple of months time?

Could try and book now for when your back in case they are overrun with people trying to get passports for hilodays.....when I was in UK pre Ukraine war, I was able to book an appointment for the following week.

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

UK Immigration doesn’t check passports upon departure.... (just a cursory ‘flash’ of ID page at security) - so the validity is a non-issue.

For Airline check-in your daughter will show her Thai Passport anyway to show she has permission to enter Thailand. 

So if you were I, would you go ahead with the flight booking and travel with a new Thai passport and nearly expired UK one?

The other option is to go on the Thai passport only with a visa(which should be easy to get) which would save me the worry of not being allowed to leave the UK. I don't want to go in person to the Passport Office, unless they have one in my city. 

10 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

everyone knows MUST HAVE 6 MONTHs on any passport to travel anywhere !!!

Wrong... Not every country. 

Wife had 3 months left - Travelling to Japan Thai Airways wasn’t sure if it was ok, I quickly checked the regulations, Japan has no such 6 month stipulation. Airline supervisor checked, check-in made us sign an affidavit just incase then had no issues with us travelling. 

They told us that if it was a flight for Singapore then they would have rejected travel as Singapore does have a 6 month passport validity stipulation.

Thus: its a requirement for some countries, not others. 

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So if you were I, would you go ahead with the flight booking and travel with a new Thai passport and nearly expired UK one?

The other option is to go on the Thai passport only with a visa(which should be easy to get) which would save me the worry of not being allowed to leave the UK. I don't want to go in person to the Passport Office, unless they have one in my city. 

The turnaround time for UK  visa on the Thai passport can take up to 6 months currently ...my mate just got his wifes yesterday and flies tomorrow. You can pay for a fast track visa but it isn't cheap. 

Will your daughters UK passport run out in the UK?....if not I dont see any issue ...in flight back from UK you just use her new Thai passport to check in and show you have a current UK passport.

11 minutes ago, gavlar said:

The turnaround time for UK  visa on the Thai passport can take up to 6 months currently ...my mate just got his wifes yesterday and flies tomorrow. You can pay for a fast track visa but it isn't cheap. 

Will your daughters UK passport run out in the UK?....if not I dont see any issue ...in flight back from UK you just use her new Thai passport to check in and show you have a current UK passport.

Ah, I didn't know it was so long -  thanks.

The UK passport expires about 3 days before we fly from the UK. We could change the dates back, but giving less time there. Might be better for peace of mind. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The UK passport expires about 3 days before we fly from the UK. We could change the dates back, but giving less time there. Might be better for peace of mind. 

If I were you.....I would check where your nearest UK passport office is to where you are staying....it might be nearby and even if it's a bit of a drive, make it a day trip out.

Save you all the hassle of going to Bangkok on your return.....unless you live there.

• Thanks 1

Just in case, I would renew her Thai passport and use that for both trips in and out. Safer  option. Also when in Uk apply for a fast track‘passport. I had mine on a visit to UK with rdv, same day if there’s an office near you.,

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What’s wrong with renewing her Thaîpassport. Easy.

7 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Your daughter is a British Citizen and as such isn't entitled to be issued with a UK Visa. You do have to declare the fact she holds a British Passport, the UKVI should, and probably would refuse a visa application 

This relates to my previous statement about Migration Legislation not applying to citizens. A citizen of a country cannot obtain a visa to their own country because there is no legal basis for one to be issued. They are a citizen entitled to automatic entry.

Yes, I know some dual citizens may have been issued with a visa for their own country in their alternate passport, but it shouldn't have been possible. If presented on arrival at their own country the correct outcome should be cancellation of the visa and automatic entry as a citizen.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, geisha said:

Just in case, I would renew her Thai passport and use that for both trips in and out. Safer  option. Also when in Uk apply for a fast track‘passport. I had mine on a visit to UK with rdv, same day if there’s an office near you.,

I't not a problem renewing her Thai Passport but the big question is will she be allowed on the plane with a nearly expired passport. I asked British Airways and they said she doesn't need a valid passport when entering the UK, but they don't fly from Thailand! 

What is rdv?

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I asked British Airways and they said she doesn't need a valid passport when entering the UK, but they don't fly from Thailand! 

What is rdv?

But BA are still correct the UK Passport is current when entering the UK, the UK has no requirement for six months validity when arriving. As has previously been pointed out a passort may have expired but your daughters Citizenship hasn't, and is thus proof of the right of entry without Immigration controls, though in your daughters case even that isn't relevent as her passportis valid when she enters the UK. I've asked you a couple of times how long your trip is, is the UK still valid when you leave the UK?
A foreign passport only requires needs to be valid for the actual length of the trip to the UK, the no requirement for six months validity on their passport also applies to third country nationals, though they must leave the UK before it expires.

OP - you're making a drama out of nothing.

1) Get a new Thai passport - achievable in a day.

2) Book an appointment online for a new British passport to replace the one which is about to expire - again can be done in a day. In my experience book the earliest available time as the appointments get run later and later as the day goes on. Go early, walk about see the sites (if you go to London) have a nice lunch then collect the passport in the late afternoon.

When leaving the UK all your daughter needs is her valid Thai passport.

RAZZ

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2022 at 1:19 PM, Neeranam said:

Just called the UK embassy who advised me that all she needs is a valid passport when entering the UK, no time requirement.

They couldn't answer my  question about leaving the UK on a Thai passport. 

In my experience, UK Embassies tend to be cautious. When my son was stuck overseas due to Covid, his UK passport only had 4 months validity and the Embassy told me "categorically" that he wouldn't be allowed to enter Thailand despite having an Extension of Stay/Re-entry Permit that would expire before the passport. They nearly convinced me to get an ETD.  Fortunately, I got advice on this Forum and he wa stamped in as normal.  

Edited by brewsterbudgen

6 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

OP - you're making a drama out of nothing.

1) Get a new Thai passport - achievable in a day.

2) Book an appointment online for a new British passport to replace the one which is about to expire - again can be done in a day. In my experience book the earliest available time as the appointments get run later and later as the day goes on. Go early, walk about see the sites (if you go to London) have a nice lunch then collect the passport in the late afternoon.

When leaving the UK all your daughter needs is her valid Thai passport.

RAZZ

Good advice, thanks.

Do you know if my daughter(15) has to be with me to get the passport?

• Like 1