Bringing Meat into Thailand ?

lexxy

I seem to recall that about three years ago Thailand banned all meat from entering the Kingdom unless you had a permit. Something to do with swine fever in Asia. Having said that, I am not sure if that covered tinned products or not.

• Like 2

I fly to Switzerland a few times each year and always come back with many kilos of dried meat and Swiss cheese, and never had any problems since 2013. Even if the suitcase containing such items was scanned, the meat was not recognised or rejected; absolutely not to be compared with Australia. The news are going into the other directions: since January 2020, the import of fruit and even seeds into Switzerland (or maybe also EU) is strictly prohibited, whereby there is no fine if you do, the items are simply taken and thrown away - Switzerland's contribution to fight global food waste.....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, seajae said:

dont know about now but several years ago I brought a fresh cryovacced aged rib eye from Australia to Thailand in my suitcase packed in a soft sided cool bag with frozen sleeves around it to keep it cool, went through without a problem 

Did you declare it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I seem to recall that about three years ago Thailand banned all meat from entering the Kingdom unless you had a permit. Something to do with swine fever in Asia. Having said that, I am not sure if that covered tinned products or not.

All food imports are restricted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Meat is a banned import in Thailand for incoming passengers, even meat containing products such as Marmite are not allowed.

Those posters who say they brought meat in got away with it. It's a fair bet they did not declare it.

There are plenty of imported meats on supermarket shelves; however, I assume there are different regulations applied.

What has Marmite got to do with it?

"Love it or hate it is!" is their slogan.

I hate it....Give me Bovril anytime which is mainly a beef extract which can be found at certain Expat outlets in Thailand as well as on Lazada......

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Bovril&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.11257f6d4AeTRd

https://veganfoundry.com/is-marmite-actually-vegan/

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, paddyfield7 said:

I fly to Switzerland a few times each year and always come back with many kilos of dried meat and Swiss cheese, and never had any problems since 2013. Even if the suitcase containing such items was scanned, the meat was not recognised or rejected

The food wasn't rejected simply because your smuggling the items in was successful, that's the only reason.   Next time, try declaring them and see what the reaction is.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, seajae said:

dont know about now but several years ago I brought a fresh cryovacced aged rib eye from Australia to Thailand in my suitcase packed in a soft sided cool bag with frozen sleeves around it to keep it cool, went through without a problem 

...because it wasn't detected!  That dos not mean that importing meat into Thailand is unrestricted by Customs.

Personally I've never had second though if it was legal or not. 

Every trip pre-covid I freeze and bring back some type of meat,  T-bones,  baby-back ribs,  pork Carnisda, Korean minrinated  sticks never had a problem the times My bags scanned in Thailand not often even opened nothing has ever been said to me so whenever I see something I like I bring it back my last trip return last month,  I brought back a rack of Pastrimai and corn beef. 

I don't think the TM6 even ask certainly now that it is suspended? ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Meat is a banned import in Thailand for incoming passengers, even meat containing products such as Marmite are not allowed.

Those posters who say they brought meat in got away with it. It's a fair bet they did not declare it.

There are plenty of imported meats on supermarket shelves; however, I assume there are different regulations applied.

Expand  

I hate it....Give me Bovril anytime which is mainly a beef extract

To use your words, what has Bovril got to do with it?

6 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Personally I've never had second though if it was legal or not. 

Every trip pre-covid I freeze and bring back some type of meat,  T-bones,  baby-back ribs,  pork Carnisda, Korean minrinated  sticks never had a problem the times My bags scanned in Thailand not often even opened nothing has ever been said to me so whenever I see something I like I bring it back my last trip return last month,  I brought back a rack of Pastrimai and corn beef. 

I don't think the TM6 even ask certainly now that it is suspended? ????

Customs Procedure for arriving passengers at the Nothing to Declare or Green Channel

Passengers with nothing to declare means they do not have any items liable for duty and taxes and prohibited or restricted goods with them when arriving in Thailand. For this case, they should use the Nothing to Declare lane, and the following items are exempted from duty: 
  • Personal belongings in reasonable quantity, which are worth no more than 20,000 baht in total and are not prohibited or restricted goods or food

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many people substitute Bovril with Marmite.

I was introduced to Bovril as a spread for toast (not as a drink or stock)....when I was a kid.

Some people think the taste is similar a some also think Vegemite is interchangeable with Marmite!.....

Not if you ask me!

Surely if you are a Scouser you must have tried Bovril.....(Maybe even used it as a spread?)

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:
40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many people substitute Bovril with Marmite ...

Surely if you are a Scouser you must have tried Bovril.....(Maybe even used it as a spread?)

I wrote, "To use your words, what has Bovril got to do with it?"

That was my being facetious in response to your question..."What has Marmite got to do with it [meat]?"!

Why do you assume that I'm a "Scouser" or that a Scouser must have tried Bovril?

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

I hate it....Give me Bovril anytime which is mainly a beef extract which can be found at certain Expat outlets in Thailand as well as on Lazada......

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=Bovril&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.11257f6d4AeTRd

Possibly Thai quarantine lumps in Marmite with Bovril. This is Thailand, remember?

Edited by Lacessit

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I wrote, "To use your words, what has Bovril got to do with it?"

That was my being facetious in response to your question..."What has Marmite got to do with it [meat]?"!

Why do you assume that I'm a "Scouser" or that a Scouser must have tried Bovril?

Well I made the connection with Liverpool to the UK version of the same name....Sorry...My mistake.

I now realise that you may be from Sidney, Australia where we used to send many "Bin-Dippers" to after Botany Bay got full?  :thumbsup:

Obviously not the same Liverpool.....My profound apologies!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Wow !!!! 1,500 Baht for a 250 gram jar of Bovril.................They must think us expats are smoking it or injecting it............mind you, it did ay free delivery which is good of them...............:goof:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Wow !!!! 1,500 Baht for a 250 gram jar of Bovril.................They must think us expats are smoking it or injecting it............mind you, it did ay free delivery which is good of them...............:goof:

Try using the low to high (price) filter on Lazada. when you search.....You will get better results! :thumbsup:

Bovril.png