Snake Bites

yerrot254

On 8/17/2022 at 10:47 PM, Sheryl said:

I would add what one should do:

1. Immobilize the area bitten with a splint or else just keep it as still as possible. 

2. Get to a hospital as quickly as possibly. Preferrably a large government hospital as they are the most likely to stock antivenom.  If the snake has been killed bring it along or if it is nearby then photograph it but don't delay matters or risk someone else  bring bitten for this purpose. 

I have heard that while not to use a tourniquet a pressure dressing/bandage over the wound and above is a good idea.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Do NOT waste time going to a clinic. Go to a hospital.

I disagree. I think you'd have better chance of surviving if you attend the the closest MRS (Medical Reception Station) to where you got bit. Be it hospital or clinic.

Around 60% to 70% of snake bites are dry bites and 95% snakes are non-venomous, she said. If the victim remains calm and is diagnosed well, a Tetanus injection and a little bit of anti-venom will suffice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I disagree. I think you'd have better chance of surviving if you attend the the closest MRS (Medical Reception Station) to where you got bit. Be it hospital or clinic.

I would not characterize what could be called a clinic in Thailand as an MRS. 

• Like 1

I walked right by a small cobra the other day.  Never saw it.  I was letting our dogs into a fenced area and one of the dogs started barking at it.  It was within a couple of feet of the gate I came through.  Realistically?  Getting bit could be just that fast without even seeing the snake.  Scary stuff.