Not putting arrival stamp in passport. Ineptitude or corruption?

Adumbration

4 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Been traveling in and out of Swampy, never ever ever happened to me. Strange. Maybe a recent phenomena? I haven't been through Swampy for last couple of years. By the way, for those who react on the name Swampy, we who have been here since before knows:), it refers to the fact it used to be a snake infested swamp before the airport was built there:)

We know  the origin of the term Swampy but its a silly nickname originally  used by people to mock the airport, used  by people who hoped it would  fail - often anti Thaksin. People who promoted the idea the airport would be flooded or overrun with snakes...Its pathetic.  No genuine  travellers  use the term 'Swampy ' except pretentious losers aspiring to a a familiarity and sophistication they clearly do not have.

I can't claim an immigration officer never stamped my passport, but I can claim that a wrong date was stamped.   

My wife had booked my flight from the U.S. and had me leaving 28 days after arrival in Thailand.   On departure, immigration told me that I was 3 days overstay.    They would only go by the date stamped in my passport.  When I gave the officer the ticket showing when I arrived in Thailand the officer looked at it briefly, gave the ticket back, and then told me, 3 day overstay 1500 baht! 

P. O.'ed, my wife when she found out and she called to complain to her cousin (an immigration officer) after I returned to the U.S. but he said it was too late to do anything about it.

As an aside, I miss the good old days, when my wife had relatives working in immigration, before fast lanes.   One of her relatives would meet me as I deplaned and walked me through to the diplomatic immigration process area.   Strangely enough, the first time that was done, the diplomatic process area was through a door, into a short hallway that led to a stairway up to the baggage claim area.  I think that was shortly after Suvanabhumi Airport was built. There were no signs on the door.  I guess you had to know which one to go to.

Edited by radiochaser

Hong Kong don't stamp your passport but give you a small slip of paper with your arrival date on it.#

Oz, they ask you (at least Oz citizens ) if you want a stamp or not.

Both far more sensible in regards to not quickly filling up your passport......especially considering the cost and time to get a new one. 

# HKID holders only insert their card into a reader, press their thumb image and are in. 

Been traveling to Singapore many times in the last month, Thai immigration as never missed to stamp Departed and Admitted stamp. Singapore never stamp in and out, so my passport fill up with Thai Immigration stamps only. I have never heard of any one has a missing Admitted stamp. Maybe OP don't know how they look like and think he never got it.

Only thing I notice they do differently recent is instead of put a stamp with the date my EXT of stay expire they write the date manually with a pen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radiochaser said:

but I can claim that a wrong date was stamped.   

Maybe this is the reason why my last 3 arrivals I had the date written manually with a pen, Its easy to set a stamp wrong. And it take time to set it to correct date.

18 hours ago, Adumbration said:

immigration have not stamped my passport

I used to travel every month abroad, here and there. 

I had a couple 64 page Aussie passports over the years (they don't issue them anymore) and I'd fill them up before the 10 year expiration date. 

When traveling I was a big fan of no stamp (exit or entry). ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

4 hours ago, MrJ2U said:
9 hours ago, Real Name Hidden said:

Schiphol airport

That's airport has had major problems

Not the KLM Lounge. 

Best lounge at Schiphol. 

They were doing renovations a couple years ago, showers relocated etc. but plenty of Heineken beer. ????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I used to travel every month abroad, here and there. 

I had a couple 64 page Aussie passports over the years (they don't issue them anymore) and I'd fill them up before the 10 year expiration date. 

When traveling I was a big fan of no stamp (exit or entry). ????

What surprised me on my trip to Thailand this year, the immigration officer put the entry stamp on the same page as the entry and exit stamp from last year.   Usually it was, open to any page and stamp there.  

They were so all out of order, when I exited one time, the immigration officer looked through my passport then said I did not have an entry stamp.  I had to find it for him!  He then stamped me out.

5 hours ago, radiochaser said:

I can't claim an immigration officer never stamped my passport, but I can claim that a wrong date was stamped.   

My wife had booked my flight from the U.S. and had me leaving 28 days after arrival in Thailand.   On departure, immigration told me that I was 3 days overstay.    They would only go by the date stamped in my passport.  When I gave the officer the ticket showing when I arrived in Thailand the officer looked at it briefly, gave the ticket back, and then told me, 3 day overstay 1500 baht! 

P. O.'ed, my wife when she found out and she called to complain to her cousin (an immigration officer) after I returned to the U.S. but he said it was too late to do anything about it.

As an aside, I miss the good old days, when my wife had relatives working in immigration, before fast lanes.   One of her relatives would meet me as I deplaned and walked me through to the diplomatic immigration process area.   Strangely enough, the first time that was done, the diplomatic process area was through a door, into a short hallway that led to a stairway up to the baggage claim area.  I think that was shortly after Suvanabhumi Airport was built. There were no signs on the door.  I guess you had to know which one to go to.

Had a similar experience at Suvarnabhumi Airport  few years back didn't check when I passed through immigration only when having a pint in domestic waiting for my internal flight, I was only stamped in for 30 days but had a 60 day visa, went to the info desk between A and B and the most helpful bloke I've ever met rushed me through a secret door and a few corridors and in what seemed like no time was back in immigration where the IO corrected it and apologised ????????

Can't be arsed wading thru a  thread bloated with immature incel commentary.

But immigration do clearly use electronic data inputs at every expat touchpoint even though they cling to their love of oversized and overused, stamps, so if one was missing, it can be reconciled electronically. 

With that being said, maybe it's time find another thread to pointlessly bicker on while your beer ice dilutes. ????

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

Can't be arsed wading thru a  thread bloated with immature incel commentary.

But immigration do clearly use electronic data inputs at every expat touchpoint even though they cling to their love of oversized and overused, stamps, so if one was missing, it can be reconciled electronically. 

With that being said, maybe it's time find another thread to pointlessly bicker on while your beer ice dilutes. ????

I do not believe there are any, unattractive, young men posting in this thread.   

Old unattractive men, perhaps!

I don't mind any men that are, who have the good fortune to be. 

Edited by radiochaser

11 hours ago, Purdey said:

While it hasn't happened to me, I would be concerned if a stamp were missing as, I think, they will certainly get you on the way out and say you overstayed. Immigration don't have an onerous job, checking the passport details, the visa and stamping you in. Immediately checking the passport before leaving the area is the best advice, but don't show anger. 

Nope. The moment  you checked into a hotel they  would  notice

5 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

Been traveling to Singapore many times in the last month, Thai immigration as never missed to stamp Departed and Admitted stamp. Singapore never stamp in and out, so my passport fill up with Thai Immigration stamps only. I have never heard of any one has a missing Admitted stamp. Maybe OP don't know how they look like and think he never got it.

Only thing I notice they do differently recent is instead of put a stamp with the date my EXT of stay expire they write the date manually with a pen.

I don't believe  someone didn't get  a stamp  on three separate occasions. It's more likely the  passport  carrier  made a mistake.

I find that very hard to believe. Either you're making stuff up or go out of your way to get past immigration without handing over your passport. Why on Earth would they take a foreigner's passport and then hand it back without stamping it?

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Not the KLM Lounge. 

Best lounge at Schiphol. 

They were doing renovations a couple years ago, showers relocated etc. but plenty of Heineken beer. ????

KLM.

Excellent airline indeed. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Adumbration said:

He is also now late with his 90 day report because couldn't keep track of the date because no arrival stamp.

You mean he doesn't know when he flew into Thailand. Surely he can remember the date he went to the airport to come here or did he rely on a stamp in his passport to tell him it was time to fly to Thailand.

On 8/19/2022 at 3:11 AM, AlQaholic said:

Been traveling in and out of Swampy, never ever ever happened to me. Strange. Maybe a recent phenomena? I haven't been through Swampy for last couple of years. By the way, for those who react on the name Swampy, we who have been here since before knows:), it refers to the fact it used to be a snake infested swamp before the airport was built there:)

Swampy or Bangers !!! We also used, Singers for Singapore,....and a few more...

On 8/19/2022 at 1:13 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

We know  the origin of the term Swampy but its a silly nickname originally  used by people to mock the airport, used  by people who hoped it would  fail - often anti Thaksin. People who promoted the idea the airport would be flooded or overrun with snakes...Its pathetic.  No genuine  travellers  use the term 'Swampy ' except pretentious losers aspiring to a a familiarity and sophistication they clearly do not have.

Well, the fact that they didn't have any toilets in the opening of the airport speaks a lot about how that project was carried out. When the first layouts was published, the first thing I noted was: where the f***k are the toilets?

And then they spent years upon years correcting various construction and planning/design problems, including adding toilets.

On 8/19/2022 at 5:06 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Term troll is used way too much on this forum, maybe you're trolling him?

He has a point, there should be an arrival stamp, they aren't doing it for some reason

Maybe he looked Thai and they did not want to inconvenience him as he was trying to use a different passport....

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

Well, the fact that they didn't have any toilets in the opening of the airport speaks a lot about how that project was carried out. When the first layouts was published, the first thing I noted was: where the f***k are the toilets?

And then they spent years upon years correcting various construction and planning/design problems, including adding toilets.

Still a thousand  times better than London Heathrow- anyway those stories  from 20 years ago  were exaggerated anti Thaksin propaganda.  But my point is  only people pretending a fake  familiarity  with Thailand  call Suvarnabhumi Airport 'Swampy'. But they are not on trend - more likely unable spell.

I have been to dozens of airports and Suvarnabhumi is one  of  the best. Much better than many European airports.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Still a thousand  times better than London Heathrow- anyway those stories  from 20 years ago  were exaggerated anti Thaksin propaganda.  But my point is  only people pretending a fake  familiarity  with Thailand  call Suvarnabhumi Airport 'Swampy'. But they are not on trend - more likely unable spell.

I have been to dozens of airports and Suvarnabhumi is one  of  the best. Much better than many European airports.

When I started work there it was near the end of the process for drying the swamp, so I have always known it as swampy. Does that mean I have a fake relationship with Thailand?

Saw the biggest cobra I've ever seen in Thailand there.

Edited by overherebc