Allegedly intoxicated foreign driver collides with family of four on motorcycle in Pattaya

webfact

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

mitigating circumstances regarding. 4 on a bike & no helmets. 

We know not if the motorcycle was roadworthy also ie all lights were working and his tyres weren't tread bare? I'll wait for the movie to come out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Just look at the proposal of a new law, that it should be legal for a certain amount of people to sit outside on a pick-up. Something that would never exist in the western world. However, it does here and then it´s just to accept that.

No that would NOT exist in the 'Western world' because a law is a law if done properly by the Government.

Here the laws are made but changed back if the people do not like it.

8 hours ago, 2009 said:

Why?

He shouldn't be held accountable for the injuries of those who shouldn't have been on the bike (i.e two of the people). Bikes ain't built for 4.

He also shouldn't be held accountable for any head injuries due to not wearing helmets.

Man, these people should suffer the natural consequence of the danger they out themselves in and caused themselves.

"Millions", did anyone die? Jesus.

Sure he should be prosecuted fairly (and so should they). Probably neither of which will happen.

Wow, it's almost 50/50 with the "like" and "dislike" emojis that were given to this post.

I just don't get it.

Sure, he broke the law and should be punished.

But shouldn't the people riding the bike who also broke the law be punished too? They misused their motorcycle, illegally. 

Should the guy pay for head injuries (if they weren't wearing a helmet)? I mean, come on. It was their choice.

He's not the only guilty party here and the law is supposed to be fair and objective.

I'll never understand the Thai apologists here. I just don't understand why? You wouldn't condone a western family riding on a motorcycle..

Yes, the drunk driver broke the law too and a more serious law. I get that.

But still, what's with the number of Thai apologists here. Can they not do any wrong?

Somewhere there is a list of penalties for motoring infractions. Some penalties are very low, some seem to ignore the dangers involved, like jumping red lights, with a very modest penalty, and driving  when drunk or worse, causing an accident when drunk carry the harshest penalties. Unfortunately those dishing out the penalties are easily swayed, and frequently ignore what the penalty should be.   Far better for every one breaking the law to be taken to a court of law (magistrates court in the UK), and be sentenced there in accord with the book of rules.. None of this "do you know who I am"?  Even royalty in the UK are fined for traffic infringements and correctly so!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

No that would NOT exist in the 'Western world' because a law is a law if done properly by the Government.

Here the laws are made but changed back if the people do not like it.

Suggest people here learn to live with it, instead of complaining all the time. This is a very sad forum regarding that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where did it say that it was known that he was intoxicated?

Where did it say that he caused the accident?

First, I must give you a medal for your very hard try to protect this drunken foreigner! This is how it stands: "He also seemed intoxicated and refused to provide his name, the eyewitnesses said." Usually, that is quite easy to spot in a persons condition. Police also state that they would make him undergo a breathalyzer test at the station. I don´t think you have to worry, the test will be positive.

Above you also tried to post same protect the foreigner 3 times to other posters. Good job Mr Liverpool

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Sad 2

The good news is the Fortuner probably has first or third class insurance.  The bad news for all involved is most insurance policies general exclusion for intoxicated drivers.  Given this, I hope he was not legally intoxicated and the insurance carrier is on the hook.

Read the fine print in all your policies including any AD&D policies that will not pay out if you are the rider or a passenger on a motorcycle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

My family have a motorcycle side car. Are we poor? No. Far from it. Same goes for others around here who ride motorcycle sidecars. It is what it is and it serves a purpose, rich or poor.

If money isn't a problem you should get them a car, definitely safer than a bike and sidecar and faster

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

and the law is supposed to be fair and objective.

bro, we are talking about Thai.......land.   Thailand.  SE Asia.   Thai.   Land.  Thailand.

This is the craziest statement I've ever read in my life, and I visit this site fairly often.  

These days, it is plain stupid to get on a bike or drive a car when you have been drinking

This guy is screwed. One way or the other going to cost him a mint

A Bolt motorbike taxi is an instant away in Pattaya

11 hours ago, 2009 said:

Why?

He shouldn't be held accountable for the injuries of those who shouldn't have been on the bike (i.e two of the people). Bikes ain't built for 4.

He also shouldn't be held accountable for any head injuries due to not wearing helmets.

Man, these people should suffer the natural consequence of the danger they out themselves in and caused themselves.

"Millions", did anyone die? Jesus.

Sure he should be prosecuted fairly (and so should they). Probably neither of which will happen.

Drunk driving led to the accident.

Read the article. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Do you really think the witness would come out on the side of the farang?  ????

In my 31 years in Thailand, I have never seen anything else. But then, I behave respectfully so I get respect from Thai witnesses. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, she complains on Thais now, just because you have thought her how to do in traffic. If she had ben thought by a Thai,

If she'd been taught by a Thai  in the ways they drive I'd imagine she'd be dead by now.

20 minutes ago, Seppius said:

This guy is screwed.

Only if he's found to be guilty. What a lynch mob we have on this thread.

13 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Drunk driving led to the accident.

Oh so you were there? Amazing.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If money isn't a problem you should get them a car, definitely safer than a bike and sidecar and faster

Pay attention to my posts. My children are teenagers and I've been here 17 years. That may help you understand that they're too young to legally drive a car. Also, as a family, we have 2 cars and shortly I'll start to introduce them to the basics of driving.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

2 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Pay attention to my posts. My children are teenagers and I've been here 17 years. That may help you understand that they're too young to legally drive a car. Also, as a family, we have 2 cars and shortly I'll start to introduce them the basics of driving.

555 as if anyone remembers your family history

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudcat said:

Read the fine print in all your policies including any AD&D policies that will not pay out if you are the rider or a passenger on a motorcycle.

And if he hasn't obtained a Thai driving license after being here for 3 months or more his insurance will be invalid. It's in the fine print if you are a farang. 

12 hours ago, anchadian said:

Hope the family recover soon but a family of 4 on a motorcycle, will they be prosecuted?  No, I doubt it.

This is Thailand.

Exactly. I guess none wore a helmet. As long as the authorities WON’T CARE ONE BIT about people flouting the law on the roads and let people use motorcycles to carry children and cramming people on pick up trucks, more deaths to expect. 

8 minutes ago, Anant72 said:

Exactly. I guess none wore a helmet. As long as the authorities WON’T CARE ONE BIT about people flouting the law on the roads and let people use motorcycles to carry children and cramming people on pick up trucks, more deaths to expect. 

Those 4 people on that motorcycle are just as lethal on the road as a allegedly drink driver. The only thing that's certain in this thread is the riders on the motorcycle were a danger to other road users.