Allegedly intoxicated foreign driver collides with family of four on motorcycle in Pattaya

webfact

13 hours ago, anchadian said:

Hope the family recover soon but a family of 4 on a motorcycle, will they be prosecuted?  No, I doubt it.

This is Thailand.

This is an example of attributing blame - maybe t family were on a side car? or shouldn't have been on a single motorcycle? 

however the other motorist shouldn't have been on the road either as they were over the legal limit - and how far?

I'm rather perturbed by some of te posts here - thy appear to be trying to mitigate the actions of the drunk driver by pointing blame at te motorcycle. ...and making assumptions.

firstly we don't know what was going on with the motorcycle - whether it was a side car or not or properly lit.

On the other hand they seem be assuming the driver of te other vehicle was a "causasian expat".

The interesting thing about it is that the foreigner's details seem very obscure. I know for certain that foreigners who have had serious incidents like this have paid their way out of publicity and avoided serious prosecution.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Who did he refuse to give his name to? The police or the media?

He is under NO obligation to talk to the media, and if the media want to know, then go to the police station and ask the police.

I wasn't talking about giving the complete name and I really doubt anyone but the police asked for it. It's just polite to give your first name. That together with respectful behaviour is enough and we wouldn't have had to read things like this. 

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Your either drunk or your not. 

Is English your first language? The word allegedly changes everything in that sentence. He might have been drunk, he might not have been. It is alleged that he was drunk. When it is proven he was drunk then go ahead and throw him under the bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

Is English your first language? The word allegedly changes everything in that sentence. He might have been drunk, he might not have been. It is alleged that he was drunk. When it is proven he was drunk then go ahead and throw him under the bus.

shhhh he used red marker come on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

He's already throw himself under the bus.

He "allegedly" won't need any help from me. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Drunk driving led to the accident.

Read the article. 

Yeah....but there shouldn't have been a whole family on the bike. The affected how many got injured. And if there were no helmets that affected the severity of injuries 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Suggest people here learn to live with it, instead of complaining all the time. This is a very sad forum regarding that.

unlike you who is complaining about the complainers  ? ill see myself out. 

Bottom line.....

At least the driver, whether "intoxicated" or otherwise, did remain at the scene of the crime/accident.

Even if an un-named witness  said the driver "reportedly" refused to give his name.

13 hours ago, 2009 said:

Man, these people should suffer the natural consequence of the danger they out themselves in and caused themselves.

What they were riding on would be the equivalent of the family car, it is for a lot of poor or working class people in Thailand. And do you know they weren't wearing helmets? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PremiumLane said:

Yes, if you can't afford a car. It is called the real world 

what are you talking about ? so if you can't afford a car that means you break the law.

got it. 

real world is making real choices too right ? 

Just now, stoner said:

what are you talking about ? so if you can't afford a car that means you break the law.

got it. 

real world is making real choices too right ? 

It means some families here will buy a bike to get around cos they can't afford a car... that is the real world

36 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
51 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

what model of motorcycle comes off best against a drunk driver?

Alleged drunk driver.

Good grief. Why so defensive of someone you don't know?

Let's try and think outside the "farang drunk driver defence club" box for a minute and consider what model motorbike comes off best against ANY alleged drunk driver of ANY nationality?

13 minutes ago, mancub said:

Bottom line.....

At least the driver, whether "intoxicated" or otherwise, did remain at the scene of the crime/accident.

Even if an un-named witness  said the driver "reportedly" refused to give his name.

I find it's quite hard for me to run away when I'm legless.

My speech gets kinda stuffed up as well.

28 minutes ago, 2009 said:

You gotta wear a helmet in my country, numbnuts.

The Thai's have a saying for people like you: Those who don't know speak easily

Back to the question in my original post, which you didn't answer, .

Best be very clear here so you understand:  If there is an accient In your home country, and the person driving is found guilty of reckless driving or DUI, is that person responsible for all injuries in / on the vehicle or is it capped at number of legal passengers?    

6 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

It means some families here will buy a bike to get around cos they can't afford a car... that is the real world

Exactly. And at the same time, it means some farangs here buy a truck so they can go to the pub... that is their real world

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

The Thai's have a saying for people like you: Those who don't know speak easily

Back to the question in my original post, which you didn't answer, .

Best be very clear here so you understand:  If there is an accient In your home country, and the person driving is found guilty of reckless driving or DUI, is that person responsible for all injuries in / on the vehicle or is it capped at number of legal passengers?    

No idea about "my" country.

Are you a lawyer? Didn't think so. Me neither.

I do know, for a fact, that my insurance (in Thailand) wouldn't cover injured parties costs if they had also broken the law (e.g. no license, no road tax).

But in my country, the fine for reckless driving causing injury to others wouldn't be a 500 baht fine either. So, dunno why you're trying to compare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Your either drunk or your not. 

And the only way to know for certain if he was drunk is to be breathalysed and then take a blood test. You may be breathalysed at the scene but the blood test is either at the police station or at a hospital.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

And the only way to know for certain if he was drunk is to be breathalysed and then take a blood test. You may be breathalysed at the scene but the blood test is either at the police station or at a hospital.

Your right.

They'll definitely want a blood test when there are injuries involved.

Sad story nonetheless. Especially when children are involved. 

• Like 1