"Converting" from O-A to O

I’m currently in Thailand on O-A. Leaving for 1 month in September and would like to “convert” my visa to O and move to yearly extensions. 

Should I apply to O in my home county or return on a tourist visa and do it in Thailand? I don’t see that option on the embassy webpage, so maybe it’s not offered.

Alternatively, can I enter the Thailand on tourist visa and then apply for O? I read on one website that’s impossible, but I want to make sure.

Many thanks for allowing me to pick your brains. 

Is your OA visa still valid or do you  have re-entry permit that is valid. If yes you would not be able to get a tourist visa or enter visa exempt.

You can apply for non-o visa with a entry from a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, assuming that you are on extensions based on retirement then you would have all the financials, bank account etc in place.

Just exit without a reentry permit and reenter visa exempt. 

Go to immigration and apply for non O.

Two months later obtain your 12 month extension.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

why one would want to apply for the visa from outside of Thailand?

If you obtain non O outside Thailand eg Vientiane, it is not required to show funds came from abroad.

If obtaining non O inside Thailand it is required.

However for those with the funds in Thai bank for some time then immigration overlook that requirement 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is your OA visa still valid or do you  have re-entry permit that is valid. If yes you would not be able to get a tourist visa or enter visa exempt.

You can apply for non-o visa with a entry from a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt entry.

See: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

That form is fantastic. Thanks!

My OA is still valid, but I haven't obtained a re-entry permit and don't intend to get one before I leave in September. The conditions in your answer are slightly ambiguous, so am I in the clear? 

13 minutes ago, aBigSmile said:

My OA is still valid, but I haven't obtained a re-entry permit and don't intend to get one before I leave in September. The conditions in your answer are slightly ambiguous, so am I in the clear? 

Your non O-A is valid for one year. During that validity you are stamped in for 12 months every time you enter Thailand.

It's a multi entry visa.

You need to be outside of Thailand without a reentry permit and the non O-A has expired

34 minutes ago, aBigSmile said:

Have you ever done an extension in Thailand yet?  Or are you still on the original, multiple entry, O-A visa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldcpu said:

I suspect a number of us who were on the type-OA visa plan to do such an 'expiry' of the Type-OA to come back and obtain a Type-O.

I left Thailand a couple of weeks back, invalidating my permission to stay on my type-OA Visa.  As I left Thailand the Thai immigration officer at Phuket airport was very good and he pointed out to me that I had no re-entry permit and that I would invalidate my permission to stay when I left.  I stated to him I was hoping to return with a different visa (other than the type-OA) and he nodded - which makes me believe he was aware various expats were doing such.

I return to Thailand early October, and I plan to enter Visa Exempt.  I might get a 45 day permission to stay with that (given some recent news), but regardless, within a few days of my arrival in Thailand, I plan to apply for a 90-day Type-O Visa.  I have the required money in a Thai bank already (from when I had it in the bank to support my Type-OA visa).  ... Then in the last month of my permission to stay on the 90-day Visa (ie in early December), I plan to apply for a 1-year permission to stay based on retirement.

This means a few trips to immigration when in Thailand, but I live less than a 20-minute car drive to immigration, so for me the travel is not an issue.

I see no need to apply for a Type-O (?) outside of Thailand in my case ... possibly the need to have money in a Thai bank, and also possibly the distance of where one plans to live (in Thailand) to the closest immigration might be the main reason (?) why one would want to apply for the visa from outside of Thailand?

Pretty much identical story to mine, on OA retirement extensions since 2017 I left the country on August 11th with a view to returning visa exempt next month and obtaining an O visa in Thailand.

Upon leaving Thailand the IO also pointed out that I had no re-entry permit, presumably giving me the chance to get one if I had forgotten, when i said it was okay she also gave me a knowing nod of the head.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Upon leaving Thailand the IO also pointed out that I had no re-entry permit,.....

They do that at DMK as reentry permit office is airside of passport control.

It's not about the non O-A vs non O. 

The switched immigration officers would also do that at BKK

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

I am planning to traveling to the USA next year allowing my O-A Visa to expire, however,  …. A major "glitch" with planning for the March 22-April 25, 2023 trip to USA. While Da and Beer's applications and payment ($320.00) have been accomplished, we are being told the earliest Tourist Visa Interviews cannot be scheduled before April 26 in Chiang Mai and February 6 in Bangkok. I already have secured RT air tickets, car rental, initial lodging ... also told "first come. first served". Bit of an issue with me as I would think an American citizen's Wife and Stepdaughter going on a family visit would have a priority over someone wanting to visit unrelated.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your non O-A is valid for one year. During that validity you are stamped in for 12 months every time you enter Thailand.

It's a multi entry visa.

You need to be outside of Thailand without a reentry permit and the non O-A has expired

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm on yearly extension, my O-A long expired. It seems that all I have to do is not to apply for a re-entry permit. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's a multi entry visa.

This is a key point of confusion. My understanding is that your OA has to be within two weeks of expiration AND you have no re-entry permit. If you have more than two weeks before expiration they will not issue a tourist visa. The rest  of the plan is as several have mentioned.

I renewed my extension of stay at Huahin last week and had a minor hiccup with my insurance registration. The agent, one we know, recommended that I do an exit and return for an O visa next year. So this route is commonly recognized.

I want insurance and got in before the insurance increase requirement next month. So I'll take this gambit when I renew next year.

I'd be happy to see @ubonjoe weigh in on the two week factor. Other than that this approach seems well documented.

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

This is a key point of confusion. My understanding is that your OA has to be within two weeks of expiration AND you have no re-entry permit. If you have more than two weeks before expiration they will not issue a tourist visa. The rest  of the plan is as several have mentioned.

If you had a valid OA visa you would get a new one year entry if you entered before it expired.

If you have a extension of a OA visa entry you can leave the country at any time during the year without a re-entry permit and get a visa exempt entry or apply for a tourist visa at a embassy or consulate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1