What is the Worst thing which has Happened to YOU, so far, in YOUR Life?

Perhaps the worse thing that happened to me came when my life began in the womb.

A mixture of abnormal genes in both parents resulted in me (and my only sibling) getting a blood disorder, hereditary hemochromatosis. (aka iron overload)  This has severely affected my latter life in retirement.

(No need to read further if easily bored, think some posters have literary diarrhea, believe it couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving, or have stated you have me on ignore.)

It didn't manifest itself until I was in my 40s when damage had already occurred to my body. (My sister died in her 50s from complications caused by the condition). When younger, I was unaware of the condition, I was very active in many sports, I played AFL to reserve grade level.

Many doctors at the time were lacking in awareness of the disorder and its symptoms. When I told my doctor I thought I had it, he said "you cant because you don't have diabetes."  I convinced him to arrange a blood test which confirmed my iron levels were extremely high. As a genetic mutation there is no cure, but treatment by regular blood donation/letting can keep the levels of iron (poison for me) from accumulating in the body.

As a voluntary blood donor for many years I had inadvertently been treating the condition, but the onset of AIDS made a panicked Red Cross Blood Bank refuse blood from all males for a time. Extremely miffed by the slur I ceased donating, which exacerbated my condition.  

I had two hip replacements in my early fifties, developed kidney disease (my alcohol intake over many years didn't help) and full body gout which made me bed ridden for several months. I've now been in a wheelchair for 9 years.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, seedy said:

Getting shot 3 times was right up there.

Altho' it never killed me - so not the worst !!! 555

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.   You still might not have been strong enough to survive a fourth bullet, though.

Too much death, relationship misery, and career bad luck to pick a single occurrence as the worst.

For instance: 3 marriages. One died a terrible and lingering death, one became a heroin addict (and had a secret affair with another heroin addict), the most recent and happy one has had terrible health problems forever (now amazingly cured).

Thailand reminds me of that old Laurel and Hardy bit where they travel forever to join the French Foreign Legion, "to forget" (joing to forget -partic a woman- was very much part of the French Foreign Legion legend).

When they finally get to Casablanca to join, they are quizzed by a officer about what they're trying to forget. 

But by that time, after months of wandering, they've completely forgotten what they were trying to forget. I def see a lot of old guys in bars here trying to remember to forget stuff. Hell, I'm one of them.

Great, very applicable early Elvis song: I Forgot To Remember To Forget.

Uh, not me, Elvis.

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Too much death, relationship misery, and career bad luck to pick a single occurrence as the worst.

For instance: 3 marriages. One died a terrible and lingering death, one became a heroin addict (and had a secret affair with another heroin addict), the most recent and happy one has had terrible health problems forever (now amazingly cured).

Thailand reminds me of that old Laurel and Hardy bit where they travel forever to join the French Foreign Legion, "to forget" (joing to forget -partic a woman- was very much part of the French Foreign Legion legend).

When they finally get to Casablanca to join, they are quizzed by a officer about what they're trying to forget. 

But by that time, after months of wandering, they've completely forgotten what they were trying to forget. I def see a lot of old guys in bars here trying to remember to forget stuff. Hell, I'm one of them.

Great, very applicable early Elvis song: I Forgot To Remember To Forget.

Uh, not me, Elvis.

Some drink to remember, some drink to forget. 
It’s hard to forget your past, but it’s worse to forget your future.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Some drink to remember, some drink to forget. 
It’s hard to forget your past, but it’s worse to forget your future.

STILL:  Your words, as usual, are spot on. Unfortunately, what you say is true.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

8 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

As with the Thai libel laws, truth is no excuse.

I do not know.

However, here is something I know you will enjoy....

The REASON I know you will enjoy this is because... I just do.  I just do.

You enjoy writing like this...IMHO.

Also, you enjoy Albert Finney, too, if I am not mistaken.

If I may say so:

'Grapes of Wrath', Steinbeck (the novel)

'Under the Volcano', Malcom Lowry: (the film version of the novel, with Albert Finney)

These are two of the more harrowing books/films for anyone to read/watch, when one is young.

Read them at your own risk.

The film version of Under the Volcano is so spectacular just due to the outstanding work done by Finney.  Finney knows how to act, and he became an outstanding actor, anytime he was provided with a decent role, one with amazing writing.

====

Don't watch Under the Volcano unless you are prepared to be affected by this for the rest of your life.

So depressing.

So magnificent.

And, so.... On Topic, here, as an example of one of a multiplicity of circumstances that can become the worst thing that ever happened to you.

Just my humble opinion.

Back in the day … 

well, anyway, to cut a long story short, I thought “this could not get any worse” and I was completely wrong.  Things can always get worse; much worse; suddenly.

Knowing that, and your own close escape from horrific gross misfortune, will see you through life’s toughest gristle with pursed lips.

You can search for “Always look on the bright side” yourself.

5 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Back in the day … 

well, anyway, to cut a long story short, I thought “this could not get any worse” and I was completely wrong.  Things can always get worse; much worse; suddenly.

Knowing that, and your own close escape from horrific gross misfortune, will see you through life’s toughest gristle with pursed lips.

You can search for “Always look on the bright side” yourself.

Thank you for reminding me.

Is it permissible to post something priceless, just one more time?

• Like 1

The worst time of my life was when I was in the UK earlier this year. I was terrified what would happen if I could not get back to Thailand. Even though I ate well and slept well I was shocked to find I was down to 73 Ks in weight from my usual 76. I have only reached 76 Ks again a few days ago.

If I was forced to stay in the UK through the winter, I would have lost my life savings because of the electricity bills.

As soon as the ridicules Thai pass and the insurance scam stopped, I booked a flight and came back to Thailand.

On 8/27/2022 at 8:18 AM, 2009 said:

To he honest, most of the bad times in my life have involved women, haha 

Better to keep them at arms length and stay single. Take care of yourself.

Apart from a drunken wife, I have not been badly treated by women, quite the opposite, but with men it has been a very different story. throughout my life, there have been a few men I thought were friends and been let down.