Posting a letter to UK these days !

proton

Simple one sheet letter to bank back home, probably a couple of years since I went to local post office, surprisingly empty today. They never wanted ID here for letters just for packets and parcels, don't have passport so mrs gives him her ID. Then he wants me to write my name and address on the back, I refuse. Mrs signs the back after that a green form is produced, assume customs. He tells me have to write down what it is- a letter to my bank, not good enough he wants to know what about, <deleted> none of their business, so mrs scribbles something on it. Then the cost has gone up from 24 baht to 46 these days. Is Bangkok now the hardest place in the world to post a letter from? If you had the stamps you could just chuck it in the postbox! Not surprised it was empty.

• Confused 1

On Monday they did similar to me, first time ever, as the girl's English understanding was a bit naff, a manager type came over, he asked what was in the envelope, I said a letter.

They gave me a small chit to fill in, which was totally irrelevant..I just scribbled anything on it......:stoner:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

If you get nonsense walk away and either wait and use another desk, or go to anothe PO inconsistency is the consistency in Thailand ????

Declarations are generally only required for parcels, not paper ! (Letters) 

only one station manned out of 5, normally it's packed with people. I wonder what the process is in N Korea? ????

I had to send a change of address form to my bank in Jersey last month. I sent the missus in to post it and emphasised it had to be recorded delivery. She came out 10 minutes later, no questions, no forms, just her Thai id number on the receipt with a tracking number. I think it cost around 180 Baht, and was delivered about ten days later.

2 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Everywhere, forever?

NOT true with regard to the UK and a few other countries I have posted letters from!

In the UK this has been standard practice since I was born. It may not be compulsory there, I don't know because I never tried to send a letter without a return address.... Why would I?

Edited by JayClay
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Obviously you may wish to do so as your "standard practice", why I have no idea, but it has never been mine

You seriously have no idea? Okay, so a return address provides two purposes:

If the letter is undeliverable for any reason, then it has a chance of getting back to you - this is for your convenience!

The second reason is that if the recipient knows who to respond to, or who to reach out to if the document inside the envelope doesn't contain enough information (or contains ambiguous information) - this is for your convenience!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JayClay said:

You seriously have no idea? Okay, so a return address provides two purposes:

If the letter is undeliverable for any reason, then it has a chance of getting back to you - this is for your convenience!

The second reason is that if the recipient knows who to respond to, or who to reach out to if the document inside the envelope doesn't contain enough information (or contains ambiguous information) - this is for your convenience!

What about privacy and security? I don't want an envelope to my bank containing financial details to have my name and address on it, nor to be crossed referenced to my passport with more details.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A post with false and inaccurate information has been removed.

5. You will not use ASEAN NOW to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Topics or posts deemed to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or which deliberately distort information will be removed.

3 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

is it standard practice these days for the Thai Post Office to ask what the letter is about? Nothing would surprise me these days but surely that cannot be standard procedure can it? Can someone confirm?

Like many other official places varies from office to office and person to person, day to day. You can of course say anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mailed a registered letter last month to the Social Security Administration in the US and was asked about the contents of the envelope. I said it was a document and had no monetary value and that satisfied the clerk. I don't recall having been asked this for simple registered letters before, but I know it is a mandatory item on the EMS application form for all sendings.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JayClay said:

where, of the few letters that were sent without return addresses on the envelope, a fair percentage the letters would just be "this is Mr M Brown. Please cancel/action x y z..."

That is their problem and if they can't identify themselves in the context of their communication inside the envelope what chance will they have in putting sufficient info for their "problem" on the outside.

Also if you worked in a in a "mail room in a large company" (as you say) the majority of letters would have been sorted and opened mechanically! A return address would be pointless.

If however the mail was opened manually in a "small company" without a "mail room" it would be slightly different!

1 hour ago, transam said:
2 hours ago, JayClay said:

It must be more than a couple of years since you sent a letter, as putting a return address has been standard form pretty much everywhere, forever.

No return address on my letter...

YMMV (but you knew this already)

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I say old bean, looks like our @JayClay has quite made your day, no?

I am sorry but as I do not know who you are can you please send me a letter with those comments enclosed and ensure it has your full contact details on the outside. 

My address is;

C/O the First Scammer's address you can think of!

Thank you!

PS;  Please include your bank details and passport photos which will help me in responding!

????

Edited by DezLez