Problem watching online training video for drivers licence.

giddyup

Before I go to renew my licence tomorrow they want me to watch an online video and then when completed print off a certificate. I just can't get it to work. When I tried to do it on computer it asks to select foreigner, but when you do and enter PP number etc, the next page is in Thai with no option to change language. If I try on my phone I can get it one step further where I can select Part 1 of the video, but the video doesn't play. It's a bloody nightmare, and unless you watch the 4 part video you can't print off the certificate. Could they make this sh*t any harder if they tried?

One problem with the registration is, for your birthday, they use year, month, day format, not the normal day, month, year format used here in Thailand.  Took me 3 tries to figure that out. 

They also give you a registration number that you use instead of your passport number.  Copy and paste it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

I've done the online video about a month ago.

Just stumble through the Thai, there is an Australian man and woman later that speak later on.

There are questions you have to answer.

11 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I ended up watching the version that has English subs. After you watch and answer a few questions they send you a bar code saying you watched the video.

Although picking an appointment time after completion you still need to Q when you head to DLT.

All watching the online video does is eliminates watching the 2 hour video at DLT.

^ Lucky you. I didn't get any "barcode" at all - all I got was the opportunity to view the training video yet again (loop?). Also, the first question was asked well before the subject was even discussed in the video - discussion in Thai, too. Don't know how people with very little Thai knowledge can manage at all. 

The lady at the licence office didn't flinch at all when I told her about the barcode problem - she just made a digital one on the spot for me. I had all the lesson proof needed on my smartphone - screenshots of stuff from the video.

23 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

All watching the online video does is eliminates watching the 2 hour video at DLT.

Not if you are crafty :) Last twice I did it they sat me in front of a computer and said watch it. When it finishes come back and report to the desk. Use the mouse to fast forward the video, and after 20 mins walk back to the desk, saying it's finished. There are so many people milling about that they never bother to check.

4 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

Not if you are crafty ???? Last twice I did it they sat me in front of a computer and said watch it. When it finishes come back and report to the desk. Use the mouse to fast forward the video, and after 20 mins walk back to the desk, saying it's finished. There are so many people milling about that they never bother to check.

Ok then, it eliminates the 20 minutes for the 'crafty' ones.

5 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Ok then, it eliminates the 20 minutes for the 'crafty' ones.

Having logged some seven hundred and fifty thousand  kilometers over the last 30 plus years in Thailand, I find the video an insult to my intelligence!!

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

Having logged some seven hundred and fifty thousand  kilometers over the last 30 plus years in Thailand, I find the video an insult to my intelligence!!

Christ. You did 40 kilometers a day for 30 years. It took me over 50 years to do that.

You should have sent your log in to a mate and let them watch it. I say watch, but really, just wait until the video stops and answer the questions and then sent you a screenshot of the QR code, you wouldn't have missed anything.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Although picking an appointment time after completion you still need to Q when you head to DLT.

I was given an appointment time first, then told to go home and watch the video.

19 minutes ago, recom273 said:

You should have sent your log in to a mate and let them watch it. I say watch, but really, just wait until the video stops and answer the questions and then sent you a screenshot of the QR code, you wouldn't have missed anything.

You have to answer the question before the video progresses. During each of the 4 segments a question pops up.

Can you just keep the QR code on your phone, you don't have to print it off?

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You have to answer the question before the video progresses. During each of the 4 segments a question pops up.

They just wanted to see the course completion, QR code did nothing in my case.

25 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I was given an appointment time first, then told to go home and watch the video.

By who?

I made the appointment time after course completion. Upon arrival at DLT on appointment day i was surprised ( i should n't have been i guess ) that i still needed to Q.

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yeah I know.

I printed mine off and the woman at DLT wanted to see the copy on the phone before she would book an appointment for two days time. 

Maybe I needed it on the day of the test, not sure.

I must be blessed or something ... like being in league with Beelzebub ...as my FIRST Thai license in 2020 was so easy I nearly fell off the log. None of the convoluted stuff some of you folks post about. So easy it was laughable.

32 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

By who?

I made the appointment time after course completion. Upon arrival at DLT on appointment day i was surprised ( i should n't have been i guess ) that i still needed to Q.

There is a section outside Transport for foreigners. I just showed her the correct paperwork, she made an appointment and told me to watch the video and copy the QR code to show when I go to the appointment.

2 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I must be blessed or something ... like being in league with Beelzebub ...as my FIRST Thai license in 2020 was so easy I nearly fell off the log. None of the convoluted stuff some of you folks post about. So easy it was laughable.

Things have changed.

28 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Yeah I know.

I printed mine off and the woman at DLT wanted to see the copy on the phone before she would book an appointment for two days time. 

Maybe I needed it on the day of the test, not sure.

I was unaware of having to watch the video, so I probably did things backwards. Last time I renewed I watched the video after the other tests.. I think they are trying to avoid too many people inside. You have to walk through an alcohol spray as you go inside.

5 hours ago, Tbone999 said:

Load the page up on Microsoft Edge, it'll detect the thai language and translate to english for you.

When I have Microsoft Edge on, every few days it switches from English to Thai, then I have to put it back to English.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I was unaware of having to watch the video, so I probably did things backwards. Last time I renewed I watched the video after the other tests.. I think they are trying to avoid too many people inside. You have to walk through an alcohol spray as you go inside.

I dont know what its like in Patts, but its so much better with a bit of organization, you usually had to queue up at 7.30 waiting for the doors to open and rush in, joining some long queue.

This time, I had the first slot of the day with six or so others, we all did the color blindness test within a few mins, then the braking test, which as usual a few people messed up and had to repeat. Waited for the photo and card, I think it was about 45 mins and we were out the door.

Good luck! I Dont fancy the alcohol spray mind.

• Like 1