Does anyone use the Nationwide UK bank in Thailand?

If you want to keep banking with Nationwide you need UK address. Maybe use a family member , get consent. Nationwide app works OK in Thailand you will need UK sim for OTP security as with any UK banking.

Nationwide in my experience is probably one of the worst banks in UK.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, torrow said:

Does anyone use the Nationwide UK bank in Thailand. How are they about having an address in Thailand?

Why not change your account to Nationwide Internet banking? I did it with the Cooperative bank and now use 'Smile Bank' I have no UK address.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Why not change your account to Nationwide Internet banking? I did it with the Cooperative bank and now use 'Smile Bank' I have no UK address.

I do use Nationwide Internet Banking, and have done for years without issue... but the account is registered at a UK address I no longer own. Now out of the blue, they're asking me to confirm my UK address.

2 minutes ago, torrow said:

I do use Nationwide Internet Banking, and have done for years without issue... but the account is registered at a UK address I no longer own. Now out of the blue, they're asking me to confirm my UK address.

There have been cases where UK banks have been closing bank accounts of those people living abroad 

34 minutes ago, TommyUK1960 said:

If you want to keep banking with Nationwide you need UK address. Maybe use a family member , get consent. Nationwide app works OK in Thailand you will need UK sim for OTP security as with any UK banking.

My Nationwide uses my Thai address. They just sent me a new card and reader to me here.

In eight years, I have never had any problem with them.

What's your bad experience then?

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

My Nationwide uses my Thai address. They just sent me a new card and reader to me here.

In eight years, I have never had any problem with them.

What's your bad experience then?

Just to clarify here. Did you also just change your address to a Thai address in the app? Were there any questions or problems?

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Smile Bank did away with them years ago.

I do not really use the card reader as I can get an OTP on my O2 phone instead. But handy to have as a back up method of logging on.

3 minutes ago, torrow said:

Just to clarify here. Did you also just change your address to a Thai address in the app? Were there any questions or problems?

I changed it, and my phone number, on the PC website. No questions or problems.

And when you need to speak to someone, they are usually located in UK (Scotland in my experiences). 

But even they are easier to understand than say Barclays phone people, with whom it would be easier ordering a curry than talking money. 555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

As others have noted and IME, Nationwide have no issues with a Thai address, sending new cards as needed. They do have a problem with non UK mobiles for OTP's and the like as my Thai mobile is not usable but I do have a UK number so that is an easy fix for me.

I used their change of address form about 10 years back to advise them of the change to a Thai address and that was accepted without a problem.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PPGuy said:

As others have noted and IME, Nationwide have no issues with a Thai address, sending new cards as needed.

Does Nationwide realise the address is in Thailand ?

It could be an automated process where the whole process is done automatically .

I will go into a NW branch today and ask them whether they allow it 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It could be an automated process where the whole process is done automatically .

Well, I receive letters from NW sent to my Thai address on a fairly regular basis (not statements as I can access them online). So, I would expect their mailing system can distinguish between local UK mail and overseas directed mail. Not sure, but I seem to recall that for overseas mailing it is routed via Netherlands, or other non UK locations, presumably as a cost saving process.

Would think NW are fully aware of the overseas mailing issue. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The boys, or computer, at N'wide needs only to look at the Postcode given to determine whether it is a UK address or not. 

3 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

Well, I receive letters from NW sent to my Thai address on a fairly regular basis (not statements as I can access them online). So, I would expect their mailing system can distinguish between local UK mail and overseas directed mail. Not sure, but I seem to recall that for overseas mailing it is routed via Netherlands, or other non UK locations, presumably as a cost saving process.

Would think NW are fully aware of the overseas mailing issue. 

Just had a quick look online and it seems to be fully accepted 

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/help/your-details/registering-foreign-address-online/

• Like 2

On 8/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, TommyUK1960 said:

This is nonsense. I've banked with Nationwide for 30 years plus. For the last 16 of those I have lived abroad, firstly in Egypt and for the last 9 years here in Thailand. I do not have an address in UK and have always used my overseas address without any issues.

They have always been very cooperative and I have received all my cards, debit and credit to my local address, plus replacement card readers.

A UK phone number for OTPs is not necessary if you have the mobile app as 2 step authentication is possible via the app. I've never bothered with one.

Yes you can update your address via the website @torrow but a word of caution. Doing it that way does not change the address for a credit card if you have one. You must send a secure message to the credit card portal to do that. I discovered that when my replacement card ended up in the wrong country! The problem was quickly and efficiently resolved.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. Just an update.

I did change my address to a Thailand address. It can't be done on the app, it must be done on the website... I tried the app and it directed me to the website. There is a select option for a foreign address.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

I kept a U.K address and set my account to "paperless" and they don't send you any letters 

They still do send the odd letter even if you go paperless, esp concerning credit cards

On 8/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, TommyUK1960 said:

Really that bad? After all their virtue signalling and telling customers to close their account if they dont like it, I never would have thought it wouldnt be a wonderful bank (I am taking the pi*s just in case you dont know that)

On 8/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Just had a quick look online and it seems to be fully accepted 

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/help/your-details/registering-foreign-address-online/

Just be aware that they also say this:-

To apply for an everyday bank account

You need to:

be 18 or over

be a UK resident

agree the account is for personal use only

If that is the account opening requirement, it is only one further step to exclude non-residents from continuing an existing account.

Personally, I think we will be OK with Nationwide as they continue to evidence the traits of a building society rather than a bank.

• 2 weeks later...