Cardless ATM at Siam Commercial Bank

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

They would need to steal my finger too in order to open the SCB app ???? 

Just been watching a good video from a wireless security expert and the amount of trouble using this kind on method would make your hair curl, assuming you have hair of course.

• Haha 2

Frankly. It's a pain in the **s to stand at the atm and wait for some people going through this "cardless" procedure. 

Lost your card ?? Forgot your card ??

Give me a break..

In 20yrs have lost one debit card (forgot to take it out of the machine)  . Bank replaced it free the next day. 

I think some.of the members here are paranoid about their millions in the bank. 

And the people I wait behind at the 7/11 atm doing this nonsense take out 100baht!  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

In some ways you're right, except that modern technology offers choice for those who wish for it.

Example...in UK I have one of my MasterCards linked to Google Wallet (formerly Pay) with the App on my phone. When I go to my regular supermarket my loyalty card is also on my phone, ergo my wallet never comes out of my pocket and I self-scan everything. THAT saves me time but I still have the choice to use my loyalty  / credit cards or cash if I choose.

The trick is to make the technology work for you, not the other way around.

You raise a good example, but neither apply to the two examples I quoted - flight check in and McDonalds. Especially McDonalds. And when I tried the QR check in it didn't even work.

And if you or others lose their phone with all the apps we are asked to download and use these days it's a tedious job getting them all downloaded again.

9 hours ago, new2here said:

one upside of the card-less process is that with the exception of BBL, it’s possible for you to verbally give the code to a 3rd party - who, together with your phone number, could access the funds that you’ve authorized for withdrawal without the need for you or the phone used to physically be present.

That means you could, as example only, provide your phone number and the code to your spouse/child etc, and they could do the withdrawal absent your physical presence. 

As BBL requires the registered phone to physically scan the QR on the specific ATM, it would appear that for BBL, the actual phone used to process the withdrawal must be at the ATM at the time of withdrawal.

I use card less on BBL, SCB, Krung Thai and KBank and find them all to be very fast and easy to use. 

Not quite required, although a little more tricky if not present. they send you a photo of your QR code, you send that to someone with you, then you photo that in the bangkok bank app, you get 60 seconds if i remember correctly, handy for emergencies like a family member losing their card out of town..

Edited by mnomad

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Is this one time numbered code set up when you download the app or do they send you one when you put in your mobile number.

I ask because I never have Wi-Fi when I leave home, and this system sounds better than using the card.

Thx in advance.

Each time you use the app for cardless withdrawal the app will generate a new code.

You need to have an internet connection on your mobile phone for cardless withdrawal to work. The one time codes last a few minutes, so it is possible to use public wifi in a coffee shop/mall, etc and then go to a nearby ATM if you are organised.

If you don't have mobile internet and there is no public wifi then cardless withdrawal won't work.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Yes, going to need a mobile data connection. Those of us who manage by using home/coffee shop/restaurant/friends Wifi connections will have to think again!

am on that part as don't have/don't want mobile data

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

What could happen if your phone is stolen? Think about it.

I have thought about it. My phone and my banking apps are protected with my fingerprint. If the thief is able to break Samsung Knox Vault protection they wouldn't be stealing my phone in the first place. They would be contracting for the biggest governments in the world getting paid untold sums of money to unlock phones belonging to very bad people.

A thief would have more success stealing my actual plastic card and trying to use the contactless payment feature before I cancelled the card. They might get a latte and a tuna sandwich from Starbucks if they were quick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Yes, going to need a mobile data connection. Those of us who manage by using home/coffee shop/restaurant/friends Wifi connections will have to think again!

You can use a wifi connection, it does not have to be mobile internet. The only limit is the code lasts for 15 minutes, so the coffee shop needs to be reasonably close to the SCB ATM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And if you or others lose their phone with all the apps we are asked to download and use these days it's a tedious job getting them all downloaded again.

Nope, you just enter your email address on your phone, activate the Playstore, and all apps you had on your lost phone will be reinstalled automatically

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orchidfan said:

Frankly. It's a pain in the **s to stand at the atm and wait for some people going through this "cardless" procedure. 

That must be foreign pensioners who don't know how to use a phone.

I enter my cardless withdrawal for my Kbank account on my phone, and it automatically saves.

Then I have 1 hour to walk to an ATM and scan the QR code.

Edit: And before you question, what happens if you lose your phone within that hour. I have to use my fingerprint to open the Kbank app to scan the code

Edited by peterfranks
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I lost 2 bank cards in ATMs, for my stupidity (forgot to withdraw them, I wish BKB ATM had a sound alarm or something to remind you to take the card back). The second time I realized it within a few seconds, ran to the branch which was 100m away in the shopping mall to open the ATM and give it to me, the answer was the classical "cannot".

Since then, I am happily converted to the cardless withdrawal. I save the yearly card fee, and have peace of mind with one card less to carry around. You could say it's a complication to need a smartphone and access wifi, compared to inserting a plastic card.

But in fact, I use the BKB banking app for many other things, in primis to pay with Prompt Pay which beats both credit card and cash (IMO). It also gives you an immediate feedback after each payment and withdrawal, so you know what'g going on. So the cardless withdrawal is no extra complication.

Note I am not a big fan of  smart phones, and I try to use it as little as possible.

I wasn’t even aware that Bangkok Bank had a cardless feature and I bank with them. I have only seen “cardless” on SCB ATM machines. Can I get info about BB cardless withdrawal on Google? I have also lost about three cards in the seven years I’ve been here. It caused major problems for me. I just have no luck communicating with the people at Bangkok Bank. Only rudimentary English and rudimentary service.  I really need a standby plan which would include cardless withdrawal, because my bank in America is notoriously slow in replacing lost debit cards. 

Edited by Nickelbeer

20 hours ago, noserious said:

Has anyone tried cardless withdrawal using a Thai bank app outside of the kingdom?

This service works only at your Banks ATM.

SCB account holders need to find a SCB ATM only

KBank account holders need to find a KBank ATM only , and so on.

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You raise a good example, but neither apply to the two examples I quoted - flight check in and McDonalds. Especially McDonalds. And when I tried the QR check in it didn't even work.

Points taken but....

Flight check-in - just print it out and present the paper with the QR code if you prefer - I do that anyway after I've booked my ticket online.

Having done that, as as my ticket is usually tucked into my passport, I just hand the whole lot over and let them sort it out (they usually ask for the PP anyway)

McDonalds...….well the politest thing I can say is  "just go up to the counter and order, if they won't take it eat somewhere nourishing instead and think yourself lucky ????"

See....choice again ????

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They are  all backed up  on the  cloud I presume

22 hours ago, blackcab said:

I have thought about it. My phone and my banking apps are protected with my fingerprint. If the thief is able to break Samsung Knox Vault protection they wouldn't be stealing my phone in the first place. They would be contracting for the biggest governments in the world getting paid untold sums of money to unlock phones belonging to very bad people.

A thief would have more success stealing my actual plastic card and trying to use the contactless payment feature before I cancelled the card. They might get a latte and a tuna sandwich from Starbucks if they were quick.

Knox is good but it is not uncrackable

49 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Knox is good but it is not uncrackable

That's not the point though is it. It doesn't need to be uncrackable. It just needs to be uncrackable by criminals who steal phones, or their associates.

There is no known public way of cracking Knox, so on that basis I am happy to keep using my fingerprint to unlock my phone and my apps.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, Nickelbeer said:

I wasn’t even aware that Bangkok Bank had a cardless feature and I bank with them. I have only seen “cardless” on SCB ATM machines. Can I get info about BB cardless withdrawal on Google? I have also lost about three cards in the seven years I’ve been here. It caused major problems for me. I just have no luck communicating with the people at Bangkok Bank. Only rudimentary English and rudimentary service.  I really need a standby plan which would include cardless withdrawal, because my bank in America is notoriously slow in replacing lost debit cards. 

The 2 times I left my card in the ATM...Once a nice young lady ran after me im the the open fresh market market and returned it to me (she didn't have to do that but did)  

Second time the BB just replaced it in about 10 minutes.

Most bank staff I've found know what "lost my card" in English means 

Finally. I gave up using my Oz ATM card because of the B220 ATM fee here  and this combined with the $Aud5 fee plus 3% charge at the Oz bank.end.

All up around over 30Aud in fees.

Now only use Wise transfers directly to my BB account. Takes 2 minutes and they charge around 5 or 6 AUD total.

Try that. ????

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, blackcab said:

That's not the point though is it. It doesn't need to be uncrackable. It just needs to be uncrackable by criminals who steal phones, or their associates.

There is no known public way of cracking Knox, so on that basis I am happy to keep using my fingerprint to unlock my phone and my apps.

There is free software for cracking phones. You probably are not aware of it but I can get it for free so I am sure others can

On 8/26/2022 at 5:28 PM, peterfranks said:

Nope, you just enter your email address on your phone, activate the Playstore, and all apps you had on your lost phone will be reinstalled automatically

Only provided you have already done regular back ups to the cloud before it is lost/stolen!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Only provided you have already done regular back ups to the cloud before it is lost/stolen!

Only just found out that if you go from WiFi to mobile data connection (only) the regular backups stop. Well they did on my iPhone 8 Plus anyway!

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, Nickelbeer said:

If you have the BB App go to withdraw ATM on the homepage. If you need some help refer to BB website and if that is not understandable go to a branch of BB. if you really speak to staff with rudimentary English which is questionable ask to speak to Head Office. At a small fee one of my friends is a manager of a branch of BB - she may help you in what is a simple task.