Border hop agencies

As Covid extensions are gone for good, the next cheapest option to stay in Thailand is border hops. Here in this thread I propose to share information on border hop agencies, prices, requirements, personal experiences etc.

I personally know of Meesuk Travel Agency (you can google by their name) that does single day border hops to Cambodia from Bangkok. The price though is not very cheap - 3500 baht for their service plus 1000 for a Cambodian visa. As far as I remember, before Covid the prices were much cheaper and the visa fee was included.

Never done a border run.These ones listed here with prices is that where the trip is done in one of those minibuses?

Also is it just to get a 30 day stamp or tourist visa?

Edited by Hmunker

I use to do the Myanmar border run, people use to say to me it must be a real pain but I loved it. Easy trip (from PKK), initially I used an agent, but it's so easy there's no need, mostly drive there wait and return, the last two I did you didn't even physically cross the border, they would just take your passport in bulk and bring them back. If you do cross the few hundred metres to the other side. there's a couple of wine 'shops' cheaper than Thai side

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I am assuming a re-entry permit would be necessary beforehand.

re-entry permits are for folks with real visas and extensions for valid reasons that wish to exit and return for fun or business. :wai:

this thread's for the return of the gamers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am dubious as to whether, going forward, it will be possible to stay long term in Thailand on just tourist visas/visa exempt entries. It had already become pretty challenging in 2019. Here are some considerations if attempting to do so ...

If you have not spent much time in Thailand in the last year or so, you can reliably get a couple of visa exempt entries by air before airport immigration start to give you a hard time, and possibly deny you entry. At that time, you must avoid trying to enter visa exempt through any airport, and be selective about airports you use to enter with a tourist visa.

Visa exempt entries by land at most crossings are completely safe, whatever your immigration history, but you are only allowed two of these per calendar year. In general (unless right at the end of a year) you should regard these safe visa exempt entries by land as your emergency fall back option when you fail to get a tourist visa.

Thus, so far, you can see that when trying to stay long term, the visa exempt entries are restricted to land crossings, and mainly then in an emergency. You become reliant on tourist visas.

These days, all embassies/consulates in nearby countries impose some limits on issuing tourist visas. I discuss this a little more below. If possible, see if you can once a year, at least, get a multiple entry tourist visa from home country.

With a tourist visa (single or multiple entry) if you have been living in Thailand on tourist entries, be aware that Immigration at some airports (including Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang) may refuse to honour your visa. You need to arrange to enter via airports that follow the law (such as Chiang Mai) or by land.

For getting tourist visas in the region, you need to stay abreast of the practices at each of the embassies/consulates, bearing in mind the need to enter by land or via a law abiding airport. At the current time, we are still in the early post Covid era, and have little to go on.

Historically, Vientiane and Savannakhet (Laos), Yangon (Myanmar) and Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) have been relatively good places to apply. They look at only visas they have issued themselves in deciding if you are using tourist visas too much. Vientiane/Savannakhet are excellent for entering Thailand by land. From Yangon, a bus trip to the border at Maesot was doable, but Myanmar is basically closed right now. From Vietnam, safe entry with a tourist visa tended to involve flying to Chiang Mai.

Getting tourist visas in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) and Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Kota Bharu (Malaysia) has been possible, but with practices subject to change at short notice. Entering by land is possible in all cases, but (from Phnom Penh) the rogue land crossing at Poipet/Aranyaprathet must be avoided, and some will feel nervous using Kota Bharu which means travelling across insecure provinces in the South of Thailand.

Visas from Singapore, Seoul, Manila, Jakarta, Bali and a few other places might be possible, but is hard. Hong Kong (once a good choice) is no longer possible, and neither are India or China.

At many embassies/consulates, they carefully scrutinise your immigration history as visible in your passport. That being the case, you can improve your chances by periodically replacing your (unexpired and non full) passport, so they are unaware that you are living in Thailand on tourist entries.

It is very possible (probably likely) that at some stage all Thai embassies/consulates will move to use of the e-visa system. When that occurs, I believe staying indefinitely as a long stay tourist will become virtually impossible as the system has too much information on you.

The use of education visas to supplement tourist visas can be a solution, with agents able to facilitate doing so.

This post just scratches the surface of a complex subject, but should be enough to give a flavour of the challenge of being a long stay tourist in Thailand.

Pretty much spot on, friend of mine has recently attempted to get himself a tourist visa from the UK, the application is now online and the requirements are frankly ridiculous so he gave up.

I used to do these visa runs many moons ago and I never paid more than 2000 Baht all in.  Back in those days I had a multiple entry 1 year visa which required that you had to exit the country every 3 months.

Unfortunately those type of visa's are no longer available.

It's getting a lot harder now to stay here long term unless of course you are eligible for a retirement extension.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You have it spot on there. It used to cost about 2000Bt all in. Just another case of people making money out of the pandemic.

I think that you will find that prices have really gone up over the last two years.

Especially gasoline.

15 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I think that you will find that prices have really gone up over the last two years.

Especially gasoline.

Yes, but not by around 50%. The big problem is companies tend to apply at least the full increases on to the customer, and will not take part of the hit themselves. Pure capitalism.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I am wondering how long this will continue. As the computer systems get better, it will get harder. One memo enforcing the residence paper rule for visa applications and it all ends.

Maybe it is time for everyone to start getting real visas?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I am wondering how long this will continue. As the computer systems get better, it will get harder. One memo enforcing the residence paper rule for visa applications and it all ends.

Maybe it is time for everyone to start getting real visas?

Don't be silly.

49 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, but not by around 50%. The big problem is companies tend to apply at least the full increases on to the customer, and will not take part of the hit themselves. Pure capitalism.

Correct no way have prices gone up by 50%, I myself use the Nakhonchai air VIP bus often and have done over a number of years, their ticket prices have not really increased by that much.

These border run companies are profiteering big time

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, maechanman said:

Correct no way have prices gone up by 50%, I myself use the Nakhonchai air VIP bus often and have done over a number of years, their ticket prices have not really increased by that much.

These border run companies are profiteering big time

do you know the difference between Gold Class and First class? image is an example

Screenshot_2022-08-27-10-01-55-476_com.android.chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Especially gasoline.

I think the main issue is that they struggled to fill those vans. Now with the Covid extensions gone, that might change and prices might go down somewhat. 

14 hours ago, sadmoneysnow said:

How many border runs are required for 1 year? I assume 4

Haven't the land border exempt entries been restricted to two per calendar year?

You will run into problems staying in Thailand year round with this method.

A thing of the past.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Haven't the land border exempt entries been restricted to two per calendar year?

You will run into problems staying in Thailand year round with this method.

A thing of the past.

That's why we're talking about border hop agencies here. They solve this problem of two entry limit.

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2022 at 4:30 PM, BritTim said:

I am dubious as to whether, going forward, it will be possible to stay long term in Thailand on just tourist visas/visa exempt entries. It had already become pretty challenging in 2019. Here are some considerations if attempting to do so ...

If you have not spent much time in Thailand in the last year or so, you can reliably get a couple of visa exempt entries by air before airport immigration start to give you a hard time, and possibly deny you entry. At that time, you must avoid trying to enter visa exempt through any airport, and be selective about airports you use to enter with a tourist visa.

Visa exempt entries by land at most crossings are completely safe, whatever your immigration history, but you are only allowed two of these per calendar year. In general (unless right at the end of a year) you should regard these safe visa exempt entries by land as your emergency fall back option when you fail to get a tourist visa.

Thus, so far, you can see that when trying to stay long term, the visa exempt entries are restricted to land crossings, and mainly then in an emergency. You become reliant on tourist visas.

These days, all embassies/consulates in nearby countries impose some limits on issuing tourist visas. I discuss this a little more below. If possible, see if you can once a year, at least, get a multiple entry tourist visa from home country.

With a tourist visa (single or multiple entry) if you have been living in Thailand on tourist entries, be aware that Immigration at some airports (including Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang) may refuse to honour your visa. You need to arrange to enter via airports that follow the law (such as Chiang Mai) or by land.

For getting tourist visas in the region, you need to stay abreast of the practices at each of the embassies/consulates, bearing in mind the need to enter by land or via a law abiding airport. At the current time, we are still in the early post Covid era, and have little to go on.

Historically, Vientiane and Savannakhet (Laos), Yangon (Myanmar) and Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) have been relatively good places to apply. They look at only visas they have issued themselves in deciding if you are using tourist visas too much. Vientiane/Savannakhet are excellent for entering Thailand by land. From Yangon, a bus trip to the border at Maesot was doable, but Myanmar is basically closed right now. From Vietnam, safe entry with a tourist visa tended to involve flying to Chiang Mai.

Getting tourist visas in Phnom Penh (Cambodia) and Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Kota Bharu (Malaysia) has been possible, but with practices subject to change at short notice. Entering by land is possible in all cases, but (from Phnom Penh) the rogue land crossing at Poipet/Aranyaprathet must be avoided, and some will feel nervous using Kota Bharu which means travelling across insecure provinces in the South of Thailand.

Visas from Singapore, Seoul, Manila, Jakarta, Bali and a few other places might be possible, but is hard. Hong Kong (once a good choice) is no longer possible, and neither are India or China.

At many embassies/consulates, they carefully scrutinise your immigration history as visible in your passport. That being the case, you can improve your chances by periodically replacing your (unexpired and non full) passport, so they are unaware that you are living in Thailand on tourist entries.

It is very possible (probably likely) that at some stage all Thai embassies/consulates will move to use of the e-visa system. When that occurs, I believe staying indefinitely as a long stay tourist will become virtually impossible as the system has too much information on you.

The use of education visas to supplement tourist visas can be a solution, with agents able to facilitate doing so.

This post just scratches the surface of a complex subject, but should be enough to give a flavour of the challenge of being a long stay tourist in Thailand.

Good info overall but your comment on "using entry airports that follow the law" is incorrect. The job of IO is to screen entrants. They have the authority by law to deny entrance to people they feel are inappropriate by they judgment, not yours. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

That's why we're talking about border hop agencies here. They solve this problem of two entry limit.

No agency, as far as I know, can circumvent the limit of two visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year. What they do is facilitate travel to the border, and the mechanics of turning around quickly. This can, for instance, include negotiating the bribe of Cambodian officials to avoid spending one night in Cambodia.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JoseThailand said:
15 hours ago, Caldera said:

No they don't. The limit applies whether you use an agency or go by yourself. 

They do. Otherwise, why would we need them? I can buy a bus ticket by myself.

My experience is the agency check your passport before you board the bus to make sure you do NOT have two previous visa exempt trips that year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

My experience is the agency check your passport before you board the bus to make sure you do NOT have two previous visa exempt trips that year.

Exactly. Those agencies that have a website, such as thaivisaservice.com mentioned earlier in this thread, also clearly state that rule. I've never heard of an agency that helps you exceed that limit.