Tourism is ‘clearly’ recovering with more tourists and new travel businesses, the government said

webfact

image.jpeg

By Erich Parpart

Tourism is clearly recovering, based on increases in arrivals and new travel businesses, the government said on Tuesday.

“The tourism sector is showing a clear sign of recovering which can be seen in the rising number of foreign tourists where more than 4 million people have visited the country in the first 8 months of 2022,” said government deputy spokeswoman Ratchada Thanadirek.

“At the same time, the Department of Business Development at the Ministry of Commerce also reported that there were 549 new travel businesses with a combined registered capital of 989 million Baht have been approved for operating licenses within the first 7 months of this year, up 169% and 226% respectively,” she said.

The government expects 7-10 million foreign visitors in 2022 compared to 428,000 in 2021 but it is still far short of nearly 40 million in 2019.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/43532/tourism-is-clearly-recovering-with-more-tourists-and-new-travel-businesses-the-government-said/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-08-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, webfact said:

“The tourism sector is showing a clear sign of recovering which can be seen in the rising number of foreign tourists where more than 4 million people have visited the country in the first 8 months of 2022,”

Guess they have learned to settle and promote this as a winner, yet

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

“At the same time, the Department of Business Development at the Ministry of Commerce also reported that there were 549 new travel businesses with a combined registered capital of 989 million Baht have been approved for operating licenses within the first 7 months of this year, up 169% and 226% respectively,”

How many went out of business over the past 2 years, and what is the percentage between now and then of companies in business.....I can see the increases are exponential in growth of new companies since the beginning of the year, but we need the prior numbers to know if it is growth from those lost or what.....

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“At the same time, the Department of Business Development at the Ministry of Commerce also reported that there were 549 new travel businesses with a combined registered capital of 989 million Baht have been approved for operating licenses within the first 7 months of this year, up 169% and 226% respectively,” she said.

Good to hear, and how many are left at the end of this year??? How many couldn't manage are bankrupted??

My Thai partner and I are visiting Samui with some of his family; neither of us has ever been here before.  Really beautiful island and we are having a wonderful time.  There are some tourists around here and there but not nearly enough to support all the tourists businesses.  Many closed shops, many for sale and for rent signs.  Like we observed when we visited Koh Chang last December, our big, higher-end resort where we are staying here in Samui seems to be doing ok with enough business to stay open. 

So many of the smaller places look to be really struggling--just not enough tourists yet.  Today the weather was great and we had lunch at a wonderful seafood restaurant right on the water with beautiful views.  Delicious meal, terrific service.  Probably about a 35-table restaurant.  When we were there, customers at just 5 of the tables, including ours.  It was the same yesterday at another great restaurant we ate at.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

My Thai partner and I are visiting Samui with some of his family; neither of us has ever been here before.  Really beautiful island and we are having a wonderful time.  There are some tourists around here and there but not nearly enough to support all the tourists businesses.  Many closed shops, many for sale and for rent signs.  Like we observed when we visited Koh Chang last December, our big, higher-end resort where we are staying here in Samui seems to be doing ok with enough business to stay open. 

So many of the smaller places look to be really struggling--just not enough tourists yet.  Today the weather was great and we had lunch at a wonderful seafood restaurant right on the water with beautiful views.  Delicious meal, terrific service.  Probably about a 35-table restaurant.  When we were there, customers at just 5 of the tables, including ours.  It was the same yesterday at another great restaurant we ate at.

It is now the true low season as many who traveled over the summer have returned to the west so the kids or Uni students could return to school which started in the US last week, and this week.  The global economy has also given tourism the world over a few hiccups.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newnative said:

There are some tourists around here and there but not nearly enough to support all the tourists businesses.  Many closed shops, many for sale and for rent signs. 

So many of the smaller places look to be really struggling--just not enough tourists yet. 

That's great news and thanks for sharing your experience.  I doubt it will get back to pre-covid numbers.  Don't forget this is low-season hence no tourists. 

• Like 1

With the geopolitical problems at hand. Thailand will be lucky to get half of the 2019 numbers EVER again IMO.  Interesting to see in the next few years how Thailand fairs.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1

I'm in Pai after a long stay in Chiang Mai Old City. Both seem moderately busy for a post-covid rainy season. But these are popular places. I'll bet a tourist bound for Ubon finds plenty of discounted hotel rooms.

I def think that inflation and heating costs poverty will at lest moderately dent the Euro-arrivals in season. On the other hand, there are the hard core Thai-ophiles like me with pent up demand who are determined to be here. 

So my very safe prediction is a semi-full Dec/Jan and a steep fall off mid-January.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is now the true low season as many who traveled over the summer have returned to the west so the kids or Uni students could return to school which started in the US last week, and this week.  The global economy has also given tourism the world over a few hiccups.

It’s not just Americans who come here people from around the world come Samui is full of empty shops with some big businesses having gone bust it will take at least 3 more years to see a recovery prior to COVID let’s not kid our selves the global economy is in crisis and is getting worse 

• Like 2