Thailand 300 baht entry fee for tourists set to start in early 2023

webfact

17 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Sounds like a deal!

I'll be flying in and plan to stay several years on my Non O extensions so that according to news I'll be "eligible for a maximum of 500,000 baht for medical expenses should they have an accident or fall ill".

All for 300THB until I leave or die! Have I thought this through correctly?

There will  probably a caveat. insurance only valid for x number of days.

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One wonders if they have worked out the kinks, and if expats who live in Thailand and have Thai insurance will be exempt. I know its only 300 baht but it's the principal of it.

The article states that the fee will be collected from ALL foreigners entering by air. Apparently the airlines will just include the fee in their ticket price, so they can't make allowances for expats. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Of course the airline doesn't necessarily know the nationality of the passenger at the time of booking/payment (most, including TG, don't ask in my experience)

In my experience, you have to give passport info when booking. Been like that for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Exactly, I forgot about those working. Imagine an employee flying in and out to conduct business in all of the countries in Asia and the west, this could be 4 times a month....

Anyone flying frequently on business is probably well enough off not to miss 300 baht a few times a month.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Robert Tyrrell said:

Good Morning,

Thailand you really want to put the nails into your Tourist Coffin !!

Covid , Global Inflation, Gas and oil at record prices , Sure throw more fees on just like dual pricing.

Your Recovery Ship is destined to SINK !! 

Do you really think that a 300 baht hidden charge added to the price of an airline ticket will stop anyone coming to Thailand? Really?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

However, all foreigners, including expatriates, are likely to be charged the fee whenever they fly into Thailand.

So not just for tourists as the headline suggests.

This is because airlines are only able to recognise passenger information, such as nationality, and not the immigration status of a foreign national residing in Thailand.

The easy answer to this would be to have a refund system in place for those eligible.

did you ever try to get a refund here? and how quick did you get it?

I'm sure íf refunded there will be deductions for some expenses...

• Like 1

Airline tickets can usually be purchased up to 330 days in advance. I already have a Christmas ticket booked, returning to Phuket on January 1 - and of course no 300 baht fee was added. If they are going to have the fee added at the point of sale, it can't be done in the usual Thai way where final rules are promulgated the day before it goes into effect (as they did with the Sandbox program).

A more logical solution is announce that the fee will go into effect for tickets purchased after a certain future date. Then again, future planning and logic are not Thai strengths. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Anyone flying frequently on business is probably well enough off not to miss 300 baht a few times a month.

It's the point that matters. They also have Thai insurance already through the SS and WP, can't you see that.....

6 minutes ago, khunpeer said:

did you ever try to get a refund here? and how quick did you get it?

I'm sure íf refunded there will be deductions for some expenses...

Yes, I get a tax refund nearly every year (without deductions), without any effort.

I also get refunds from work for fuel and for receipts acquired when looking after customers, also without deductions.

Is there anywhere else that I should be getting refunds for, I like it when people give me my money back.? ????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, charlesw said:

According to an article in BP "Songkhla hotels criticise entry fee for tourists" a few days ago, They have already started to collect the fee at southern borders.

How, the fee is only to be levied on air passengers?

From the OP, on the second line down:

Speaking on Monday (Aug 30), Thailand’s Minister of Tourism and Sports has revealed the 300 baht fee will be applied to all foreign passengers arriving by plane.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

One wonders if they have worked out the kinks, and if expats who live in Thailand and have Thai insurance will be exempt. I know its only 300 baht but it's the principal of it.

So Thailand proposes to charge 700 baht PSC and 300 baht entry fee.

Heathrow charges £30.19 PSC and APD ranging from £82 - £150 depending on cabin class.

Heathrow were taken to task over the PSC and ordered to reduce it, will come down to £26.31 in 2026.

A BKK - LHR return flight would be 1000 baht in Thai fees and over 4500 baht in UK fees.

Now tell me who is the more principled.

21 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

How, the fee is only to be levied on air passengers?

From the OP, on the second line down:

Speaking on Monday (Aug 30), Thailand’s Minister of Tourism and Sports has revealed the 300 baht fee will be applied to all foreign passengers arriving by plane.

The delay in implementing the introduction of the fee to air passengers was down to finding a method for the land borders.

It would appear a solution has been agreed on.

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I don't get upset about 300 baht on a ticket that costs thousands. And it isn't as if Thailand is unique. I used to have to pay cash going into and then again when leaving Bali. And the tax imposed on international travellers at UK airports is huge. Thousands of baht in some cases. I imagine many other countries also impose a similar tax.

A tax is different than a fee. This one gives the end user insurance coverage which we as expats or employees here in Thailand can not use. Can you not see this? Sure it's only 300 baht, but we get no use from it. I would be better served flushing the money down the toilet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So Thailand proposes to charge 700 baht PSC and 300 baht entry fee.

Heathrow charges £30.19 PSC and APD ranging from £82 - £150 depending on cabin class.

Heathrow were taken to task over the PSC and ordered to reduce it, will come down to £26.31 in 2026.

A BKK - LHR return flight would be 1000 baht in Thai fees and over 4500 baht in UK fees.

Now tell me who is the more principled.

Do you get a service from the UK for your donation or is it a tax Sandy. Here the 300 thb gives a TOURIST insurance coverage but expats and workers who have Insurance get nothing out of the scheme.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most of us posting here are not tourists, but expats who do fly out to visit home or another country, there we are tourists but Thailand is home....

I am also an ex-pat who flies regularly to Vietnam... it is what it is!  And that is a small fee you have to pay... So my 4 - 5 trips to Vietnam will cost me 1,500 thb a year.. hmm ok.. I can not get out of it, so will be positive and accept it ????  Have a great day.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, ed strong said:

Its quite straightforward if a little annoying, to the guy above its a tourist tax not for Thai people, so they wont be charged.

Just because you have insurance does not mean you will not have to pay. The only exemption is for Thai people, end of story.

Its less than 10 dollars, 99.9% of tourists wont care or notice.

I'm sorry, but when was the last time you booked a flight?

The price is already calculated before you enter your passport details, so everyone is going to be paying it. - At least if they're booking a trip to Thailand, Thai national or not...

• Like 1