Thai Driving for Foreigner

NDRugby99

Yes ^^^, that's correct.

Provided you have a valid licence you can jump in and drive. You can drive for up to 6 months on your home licence (I believe it must be in English so if it's not then an IDP might be advisable too).

Note that "restricted driver" policies do exist and are slightly cheaper, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

• Like 1

Get an IDP, then you are good to go.

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Note that "restricted driver" policies do exist and are slightly cheaper, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

These policies do still pay if somebody else drives the car though, but the policy holder has to pay a penalty because somebody else drove the car. How much the penalty is might of course vary from company to company, but from what I've seen it's about 5000 baht, so not a big deal.

• Like 1

Whoa............whilst it used to be that the policy covered the car, not the driver, that is not always the case now.

Most policies still cover the car not the driver but some have started to ask for a list of named drivers and limit that list to a set number of drivers.  Check the policy and ask for an English version.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is some information that is not correct...

From three months stay only a Thai driver's license is valid !!

A driver's license of the home country, is only recognized in conjunction with an international driver's license!

The registration of, for example, a second driver, has nothing to do with the possible claim settlement!

There is also no restriction!

It only lowers the insurance premium, if only the "registered" drivers drive the vehicle!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Richard 2020 said:

From three months stay only a Thai driver's license is valid !!

That's not correct.

Here Rojai's policy regarding having a named driver policy, but somebody else driving the car.

They state "in accordance with OIC regulation...", so I would assume that this is the same with all Thai insurers.

1666142871_Screenshot2022-09-01094258.thumb.png.f674342eb346e7c41b4697b3166733b2.png

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NDRugby99 said:

What do other people do?

Confused already ????

Your girlfriends car will have road tax and CTPL govt insurance. 

Your girlfriend may already have 1st class voluntary insurance on the car as well. 

The CTPL insurance covers the car for the road and anyone can drive it.

As long as your girlfriends 1st class policy has not got her as only driver anyone can drive it who has a valid DL. 

If you do not have a Thai DL you should get one with your UK DL or your home countries DL accompanied with a IDP (international driving permit) .

If you don't want to get a Thai DL then best to have a valid DL plus a IDP with which you can drive for up to 90 days. 

Have you girlfriend check that her first class policy will allow a foreign DL. 

I have had my car insurance with VIRIYAH Insurance for 20 years now.

There was a time when you could register special drivers and get a discount!

However, no other persons were allowed to drive than they registered!
The problem was that in emergencies but also sometimes non-registered people have driven the vehicle!
Thereby there were some problems!

Therefore, that is, at least with my car insurance were canceled!

First Class insurance, no matter who drives, the vehicle is insured!
5000.-THB deductible for self-inflicted accidents, regardless of the amount of damage!
Type 1 Policies provide the maximum amount of cover for peace-of-mind:

Liability to damage to life, body, or health of third parties
Property damage of third property
Damage to the insured car due to fire/theft
Damage to the insured car

FriendlyFarang to your comment: " This is not correct" ...

Ask your embassy or inform yourself on the internet!!!

National driving licenses alone are not officially recognized in Thailand. For stays of more than three months, a Thai driver's license is generally required. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

How do you get an IDP once you have left your country?

As far as I know you can't.

My Oz buddy didn't have an IDP with his DL and just took a Motorbike test rather than go back to Oz. 

Anyway he was staying for a good few years so needed a Thai DL anyhow. 

• Like 1

An IDP is nothing more than a certified translation of a driver's license and is not required IF your original driver's license has English language on it (which most licenses have these days). Hence, IDP's are not often needed anymore these days.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My Oz buddy didn't have an IDP with his DL and just took a Motorbike test rather than go back to Oz. 

Yes I assume you can not but in this thread, above,  someone  suggested getting an IDP. It's not possible

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I renew mine - from Canada - every year for driving into neighboring countries. Never been back in years.

• Like 1

Darren, you don't mention where you come from, but if UK an International driving permit "IDP" from post office easy with your UK license. £5 I think

If you are staying in Pattaya, if fairly easy to get a Thai license, 2 or 3 visits to the testing station, in 4 months you have plenty of time to get one for car and motorbike,

if you're planning future visits, good idea to get it done

There are a ton of threads on here and other forums on the process how to get Thai license

15 minutes ago, seedy said:

I renew mine - from Canada - every year for driving into neighboring countries. Never been back in years.

I've never needed an IDP I  also don't know now what countries DL's Thai DLT's will accept without a IDP. 

At the time at Sukhothai DLT they would not except my Oz buddies DL without a IDP,  that may of changed now. 

But as most people that have been here a while know not all DLT's operate the same.

In my first post I just tried explain in a simple way what OP can do. 

Unfortunately, there is a lot written here that is not true!

An "International driving license" is ONLY valid in CONNECTION with a VALID NATIONAL driving license"!

Because, if one has withdrawn you the NATIONAL driving license, you could drive theoretically with the international!

But since this is valid only in CONNECTION, so simultaneous presentation of the national just does not work!

This also applies to Thailand!

And at the latest after 3 months stay in Thailand, the Thai driver's license is mandatory!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

Unfortunately, there is a lot written here that is not true!

An "International driving license" is ONLY valid in CONNECTION with a VALID NATIONAL driving license"!

Because, if one has withdrawn you the NATIONAL driving license, you could drive theoretically with the international!

But since this is valid only in CONNECTION, so simultaneous presentation of the national just does not work!

This also applies to Thailand!

And at the latest after 3 months stay in Thailand, the Thai driver's license is mandatory!

What about an IDP.!!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any documented link to back this up ???

this is commonly mentioned, there is no official information available which highlights this.

It's to do with the 90 day,  90 day thingy that what I was told at our local DLT 

Like most things here it may or may not come light I guess when it only becomes a problem with insurance cover and if something serious happens. 

2 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

An "International Driving License" is ONLY valid in CONNECTION with a VALID NATIONAL Driving License"!

WORLDWIDE!!!

No such thing as IDL.

The only people I know who need a IDP i.e. International Driving Permit with Home Driving Licence is because Thailand required it. 

1 minute ago, Richard 2020 said:

An "International Driving License" is ONLY valid in CONNECTION with a VALID NATIONAL Driving License"!

WORLDWIDE!!!

Yes,... everyone knows this... everyone also knows its not a Licence.. but an International Driving Permit - that specific point has been covered on this forum ad nauseam. 

By now... most will know that IF your home country driving licence is in English language it is valid in Thailand without the need for an IDP (if your country is party to the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic 1949 and Vienna Convention on Road Traffic 1968).

The outstanding question is always, for how long your home country licence is valid while overseas. 

An additional complicating facet is the type of Visa a person is on and whether their Non-Immigrant status indicates they are a resident and thus require a Thai Driving licence. 

Again - the 90 duration and resident status issues are points I’ve read on forums but have never seen anything official. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richard 2020 said:

No... the information is not accurate... The Temporary Diving licence in Thailand is 2 years. 

There is no Such thing as an International Driving Licence - its an International Driving Permit. 

And... according to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 Geneva treaty.

These three mistakes on the link you provide, even though its an embassy source, highlight lack of attention to detail on such sites. 

• Thanks 1