Retirement Visa Question

With the exchange rate being really bad at the moment I don't want to exchange £19,000 into Thai Bhat so I have the 800,000 for the retirement visa. I understand if I get a visa agent they can get me the visa without me needing the 800K. If I fly in on 30 day visa exempt, will this be enough time for the agent to get the retirement visa for me. I would be meeting the visa agent on the 2nd day after arriving, wont be leaving until the 3rd week.

Don't use Siam-Legal, many moons ago I did a Non O - 1 year retirement ( 15 months ) multiple entry -my first. Went to CW with a young hot shot in a suit, got it all done quickly for a big price, couple days later looking more closely at my stamp it said Chacheangsao Immigration ! Living in BKK and working outside Thailand on a 28/28 rotation I didn't have to do 90 day reports, would have been problematic doing 90 day reports in BKK with a Chacheangsao stamp, be careful -  try doing things on your own.....

• Like 1

OP said ‘With the exchange rate being really bad at the moment I don't want to exchange £19,000 into Thai Bhat so I have the 800,000 for the retirement visa. I understand if I get a visa agent they can get me the visa without me needing the 800K. If I fly in on 30 day visa exempt, will this be enough time for the agent to get the retirement visa for me. I would be meeting the visa agent on the 2nd day after arriving, wont be leaving until the 3rd week.”

me: I thought 800k was mandatory even with an agent ?

sorry still can’t work out how your reply to a, specific post ?  Can’t find the button

13 hours ago, Longreach said:

To agent 2 days after arrival is good. enough time for extension/visa whatever people want to call it.

passport goes to bangkok for 'stamping'. 3 to 4 weeks before return of passport.

Since when do passports get sent to Bangkok for stamping, or take 3 weeks. Do it yourself or via an agent, its done locally and takes a day or so.

The only extension that takes a couple of weeks and goes to regional head office for approval is a marriage extension.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Don't use Siam-Legal, many moons ago I did a Non O - 1 year retirement ( 15 months ) multiple entry -my first. Went to CW with a young hot shot in a suit, got it all done quickly for a big price, couple days later looking more closely at my stamp it said Chacheangsao Immigration ! Living in BKK and working outside Thailand on a 28/28 rotation I didn't have to do 90 day reports, would have been problematic doing 90 day reports in BKK with a Chacheangsao stamp, be careful -  try doing things on your own.....

I used Siam Legal as well, back in 2015 and had no problems with them at all. Was in BKK when first arriving to retire here. So had to start at CW with Siam Legal helping all the way to the point of assisting me to get a bank account set up. Then we were moving to the place where our home was going to be built which was in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. The lad came down to Hua Hin Immigration to do the final part so I could then do 90 day reports in the province.

They also did, my then girlfriend and now wife's, visa for a visit to UK. When it was refused first time because the UK powers never read the documents fully, the girl at Siam Legal did the new application for no extra costs as she was not happy with the refusal. After a strongly worded application was made again, the visa was granted.

So, I have nothing but praise for Siam Legal and will be using them in the future when we need another visa for the wife so we can visit UK for a holiday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

I also used Siam Legal, just a few months ago, after reading a recommendation on the Bangkok local site, and i was very happy with their service. It was fast, efficient, and inexpensive.

What do you consider inexpensive ? I always thought the legal firms were very expensive, like a late model honda click expensive.

4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What do you consider inexpensive ? I always thought the legal firms were very expensive, like a late model honda click expensive.

I had some business in the UK which required a notarized copy of my passport. Siam Legal did it for 850 baht. The work looked good and solved my problem.

8 hours ago, darrenr said:

OP said ‘With the exchange rate being really bad at the moment I don't want to exchange £19,000 into Thai Bhat so I have the 800,000 for the retirement visa. I understand if I get a visa agent they can get me the visa without me needing the 800K. If I fly in on 30 day visa exempt, will this be enough time for the agent to get the retirement visa for me. I would be meeting the visa agent on the 2nd day after arriving, wont be leaving until the 3rd week.”

sorry still can’t work out how your reply to a, specific post ?  Can’t find the button

It is the one just underneath the post labelled  QUOTE.

Edited by KannikaP

9 hours ago, worrab said:

I used Siam Legal as well, back in 2015 and had no problems with them at all. Was in BKK when first arriving to retire here. So had to start at CW with Siam Legal helping all the way to the point of assisting me to get a bank account set up. Then we were moving to the place where our home was going to be built which was in Prachuap Khiri Khan province. The lad came down to Hua Hin Immigration to do the final part so I could then do 90 day reports in the province.

They also did, my then girlfriend and now wife's, visa for a visit to UK. When it was refused first time because the UK powers never read the documents fully, the girl at Siam Legal did the new application for no extra costs as she was not happy with the refusal. After a strongly worded application was made again, the visa was granted.

So, I have nothing but praise for Siam Legal and will be using them in the future when we need another visa for the wife so we can visit UK for a holiday.

Sounds great, when you left CW with your 'help' was the retirement stamp a CW division 1 stamp ? My stamp was another Province Office, thats a little 'off' would you agree ? Glad to hear you hit it good on that particular day......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

Sounds great, when you left CW with your 'help' was the retirement stamp a CW division 1 stamp ? My stamp was another Province Office, thats a little 'off' would you agree ? Glad to hear you hit it good on that particular day......

I came in on a 30 day tourist visa which then had to be changed up to a Non-O Retirement and the 90 days to satisfy the criteria for an extension based on retirement and this was done at CW. Siam Legal helped me do this as well as open the bank account to receive the necessary funding for this extension. Then I was able to finish it all off at Hua Hin where I got my first extension of stay. So to answer your question, yes I did but I have a feeling this practice has now been stopped as this was in 2015.      

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I  meant if you have no money in the bank then you will need a BKB account to use an agent, why you may ask, well you tell me why it is so.

If doing non O, extension etc. through an agent you don't need a bank account and immigration (on return to Thailand) aren't bothered where the stamps are from as its not a requirement to live in the the same place all the time 

On 9/2/2022 at 6:18 AM, verticalift said:

I’ve lived in T’land for over the past 24yrs on various types of visas. Was issued a 10yr O-X Retirement Visa in October 2019. Recommend you avoid “agents” and just use a good Int’l law firm in BKK to assist.

I looked at the O-X and had trouble seeing an advantage over the regular 1-year O retirement visas, since although the OX is supposed to be for 5 years, extendable, you still have to go to Immigration each year with a bunch of documents, failing which you would not be able to stay.  Can you clarify the advantage?   

On 9/2/2022 at 6:58 AM, darrenr said:

There are two routes:

1. The agents go through a corrupt immigration official to approve the visa without needing any 800K. Part of the fees go to the agent and part of it go to the immigration official.

2. This is different from an agent who help you into photocopying your required documents and helping you through the application process but you still need the 800K. Obviously, the fee here is much lower as this method doesn't need to bribe anyone.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

1. The agents go through a corrupt immigration official to approve the visa without needing any 800K. Part of the fees go to the agent and part of it go to the immigration official.

Many immigration staff are involved, maybe the whole office, its not one rogue official

14 hours ago, LoeiI said:

If doing non O, extension etc. through an agent you don't need a bank account and immigration (on return to Thailand) aren't bothered where the stamps are from as its not a requirement to live in the the same place all the time 

I did my exempt=>non-O=>12 month extension via the famous Maneerat in Pattaya back in December 2021. bank account now required because of new big boss at Jomtien. 

B3,700 to open the account at the nearest BBL branch around the corner. B3K was for the obligatory insurance policy, B512 was an initial deposit into the bank account, and the remaining B188 to agent I guess. you get to keep the B512 after the other business is sorted out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, worrab said:

I came in on a 30 day tourist visa which then had to be changed up to a Non-O Retirement and the 90 days to satisfy the criteria for an extension based on retirement and this was done at CW. Siam Legal helped me do this as well as open the bank account to receive the necessary funding for this extension. Then I was able to finish it all off at Hua Hin where I got my first extension of stay. So to answer your question, yes I did but I have a feeling this practice has now been stopped as this was in 2015.      

Yes, back in 2015 you could only apply for a non-O conversion at CW regardless of where you lived in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I did my exempt=>non-O=>12 month extension via the famous Maneerat in Pattaya back in December 2021. bank account now required because of new big boss at Jomtien. 

B3,700 to open the account at the nearest BBL branch around the corner. B3K was for the obligatory insurance policy, B512 was an initial deposit into the bank account, and the remaining B188 to agent I guess. you get to keep the B512 after the other business is sorted out.

Sorry I'm a bit confused are you saying the agent puts 800k in your account for the visa application then you give it back to them ? as has been said its usually one of two ways either you have a bank account with sufficient funds and the agent assists with the paperwork and application or the agent sorts everything out and you don't need a bank account, the stamps are invariably from a northern province but as I said immigration aren't bothered when you return to Thailand because there is no restriction on where you live or travel to and the stamps are from a genuine immigration office

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, LoeiI said:

Sorry I'm a bit confused are you saying the agent puts 800k in your account for the visa application then you give it back to them ? as has been said its usually one of two ways either you have a bank account with sufficient funds and the agent assists with the paperwork and application or the agent sorts everything out and you don't need a bank account, the stamps are invariably from a northern province but as I said immigration aren't bothered when you return to Thailand because there is no restriction on where you live or travel to and the stamps are from a genuine immigration office

I know nuthink! PM if you rant want to know the mechanics of the business.