The Bangkok River Level Thread 2022 - Please post your river level photos

Crossy

Deputy Governor of Bangkok (the one in charge of disaster management) has called on Bangkokians to work-from-home for the next 3 days. 

I don't even recall those types of requests in 2011. 

In fact, when my place was under 1 metre of water in 2011, I had to take a canoe to reach dryland for my commute to work. The thought of not reaching my desk did not cross my boss' mind.

On 9/2/2022 at 5:22 PM, Crossy said:

Not really, the water isn't stationary it's a khlong that flows into the river so Mr Mozzie can't get a foothold.

If I bought my CheeseandKisses there she would find all the mozzies. She's a magnet for mozzies. Must be all the Leo consumption. ????

The mighty Mekong at Mukdahan is running fairly rapidly and shops have sandbagged up, but water level only risen a bit since last week.

I think the season is changing as strong winds started yesterday. Season change could help with less rain, maybe.

The pumps installed by the Moo Baan have definitely made a difference.  Yesterday the water never reached previous heights.  IIRC 2011 flood didn't start until late October (24?) so we have to wait for the water from the north to hit us.

I went out early this morning and when I came back about 0900 there was a lot of activity at the small canal 500 metres from the main gate.  They were installing two pumps as the area between the bridge (small canal under) and the main gate was always under water.

I was told yesterday afternoon the government had decided to direct the water east around BKK.  We are in the NW so I don't know if that is going to help us.  Crossy you are definitely in the path before the water is diverted.  Sorry about that.

Photo down the road at midday about five hours after low tide.

IMG_5087.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, degrub said:

Hope there are no culverts underneath crossing the roadway they forgot about or the bagging will be for naught.

There is one actually, but it's controlled by a (closed) sluice.

20 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

You have good reason to be concerned... all 3 of the large dams in the Central region are overflowing or close to it... 

image.png.55559719f6c7dc3a27ae818eebff4686.png

The Pa Sak Jorasit Dam impounds the Pa Sak River at Ban Kaeng Suea Ten, Tambon Nong Bua, Phatthana Nikhom District, in Lopburi Province, and Ban Kham Phran, Tambon Kham Phran, Wang Muang District, in Saraburi Province, and is the biggest reservoir in central Thailand.

If it's currently at 106% capacity, that's a lot of water headed your way... :ermm:

The Pa Sak Jorasit Dam water level is up another 3% from yesterday... :ermm:

image.png.de357082c0351c51b9e101059681487d.png

Link

• Like 1

Local high at Pak Kret.

Slightly higher than last night, that said we have a fair bit of extra dampness compared with yesterday night at the equivalent time.

Watching carefully but I suspect we will be OK tonight.

image.png.971fef9cbdf45e20900836fbcc8dc73e.png

Of course the geese are happy ...

image.png.5f40063561ffe5ff9eac9c182b0fce44.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Will be oke tonight but the situation remains a bit stressed I guess....

Very much so, taking it night by night.

We have a backup plan for if the ground floor is breached which "should" see us good (but not comfortable) to 2011 levels. If we were actually to achieve that level then the sandbags on the road would have been overtopped.

We shall just have to wait and see ????

Local low water at Pak Kret, looks pretty similar to yesterday.

I'm no hydrologist, but hopefully we can equate that to high water being somewhat similar to yesterday too. I suppose we will find out this evening.

image.png.a65b22f938cdd93f73020741ad780eb4.png

• Like 1

Better get my wet-suit out ???? 

And our ruddy power is out too ???? 

Running on the solar backup batteries / genset.

EDIT Power just returned, was off 16:10 to 17:40 ???? 

• Like 1

Watching TNN now and they are explaining how the water will be slowly heading south towards BKK and most water reservoirs are already at 68% and above with some over 110% full.  Tomorrow with the high tide and such the Chao Phyra will be ugly here in BKK.

• Like 2

As previously noted, I'm no hydrologist so I'm relying on grammar school physics ("Jack" Roberts our physics master broke his leg during our experiment to measure the velocity of light!).

Anyway, the river at our location is 435m wide vs the width at Pak Kret of about 170m. So, if I'm right, our rise should be a bit less than half the rise at Pak Kret for the same increase in flow. 

Our river.

image.png.265247d2d8fbd64a5c9585e6cff9b77d.png

Pak Kret (I'm not sure exactly where the level monitoring camera is).

image.png.7eaa5ae44b4331b6e42fd4cc7185ddd3.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, degrub said:

Assuming constant depth of the channel.

Yeah, good point, no idea how deep the river is at the various locations.

But we do seem to see a smaller increase over the same time period (shifted by about an hour due to being further upstream). Really just a thought experiment whilst waiting for the tide to drop so I can get to the shops.

I’m no hydrologist either, but that bend in the river will provide some slight resistance to flow and some additional turbulence, so a slight increase of level where you drew the 435 m line.