Much Higher Traffic Fines in Effect from Sept 5

snoop1130

15 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

More tough laws that won't get enforced, so who cares. 

Well the speeding fines that will be increased greatly will, so I do.

The speed limits in the areas where speed cameras are set up can be very confusing, with 3 different speeds shown within 100 meters in quite a few cases, Saraburi is a minefield to go through.

It's almost like the signs were set up in such a way as to generate extra income for the Highway Department/Traffic Police Dept. ????

Whenever I visit my wife's home village, it doesn't matter how carefully I drive (under my wife's back-seat guidance), I will still end up with 2 tickets.

A round trip to the North will now cost me Baht 8,000 instead of my normally 'budgeted for' Baht 2,000.

Edited to add,

I'm sure that my budget for speeding fines was Baht 1,000 and a ticket was 500 and not 1,000.

Either way, Baht 8,000 makes the trip too expensive.

Er indoors can fly next time she visits her village.

I took my buddy to Koh Chang 20+ years ago, from Pattaya (he was visiting from the US with his half Thai wife). Not a matter of "IF" it was a matter of "WHEN" I would get pulled over by some suicidal BIB walking out in front of my truck.

Sure enough, an hour into it, I get pulled over. To this day I have no idea what my offense was. I asked my wife and she said, "Just, give him some money!". ????

200 baht and I was off again.

Edited by jaywalker
misspelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 6:10 PM, worgeordie said:

"However, the law does not require pickup truck passengers on extended space behind the driver’s seat and cargo beds to use a seat belt but their number must not exceed its limit."   What is the limit for people in the rear of

a pickup  ? , 5 10 20 ?

regards Worgeordie

The limit in the bed/back of the pickup is four.  It has not been consistently enforced.  That one started several years ago just as the Songkran holiday was approaching--to considerable outcry.  Many farm or factory workers used to pile into the back of the pickup as a makeshift bus.

I'm unaware of what the limit might be for the space in the supercab just behind the front seat, for those vehicles that have them.  A king-cab, four-door pickup should have seat belts on the second seat that would determine its limit, I presume.

32 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

But you’ve got to be careful being a hero and stopping at them for fear of getting hit up the arsse!

Yes, and risk getting a ticket for "Stopping too suddenly".

Some clown with no insurance T-boned my wife's truck once, speeding, wrong side of the road, no license, no insurance.

Cop told her she must pay 10,000 baht.

His reasoning? "You have farang name. All farangs have big money".

Edited by jaywalker

Is there anyone here that doesn't speed, go through red lights, or drives on the wrong side?

Where I live, the speed limit is too low. I am often the only one turning u-turn near my house, so often nip around between lights. It saves me 5 minutes when coming home to drive down the wrong side for about 20 metres. It really isn't a big deal and we Thais enjoy the freedom to do this, if it doesn't increase the likelihood to have an accident. 

As a Middle Eastern prophet  said - "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". 

12 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

the BIG question is.....how and when will R T P catch the offenders...

the other dat I counted OVER 120 people NOT wearing helmets soi 8 off Threppasit road.....but most were wearing masks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a reason for this and why Westerners think it is strange.

Basically, a difference in personal Values. Westerners prioritize personal freedom whereas Thais prioritize community spirit. Or, Thais are less selfish, probably due to the religious practices. 

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It saves me 5 minutes when coming home to drive down the wrong side for about 20 metres. It really isn't a big deal and we Thais enjoy the freedom to do this, if it doesn't increase the likelihood to have an accident. 

That's nearly caught me a few times . 

Going to cross the road and looking right to make sure no cars are coming , stepping out onto the road to cross  and some nutcase on a motorbike comes from the other direction on the wrong side of the road and nearly runs me over .

Now I always look both ways before I cross the road

10 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That's nearly caught me a few times . 

Going to cross the road and looking right to make sure no cars are coming , stepping out onto the road to cross  and some nutcase on a motorbike comes from the other direction on the wrong side of the road and nearly runs me over .

Now I always look both ways before I cross the road

Simple drill -  look left, look right, start walking looking left and right at the same time.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Yes, and risk getting a ticket for "Stopping too suddenly".

Some clown with no insurance T-boned my wife's truck once, speeding, wrong side of the road, no license, no insurance.

Cop told her she must pay 10,000 baht.

His reasoning? "You have farang name. All farangs have big money".

Tell him to eff off and call lawyer.

Rightfully, so many people have been asking for helmets to be enforced for years. Now Thailand increases no helmet fine from 500 to 2000 and people still finding ways to criticize the move

I reckon there'll be a massive helmet checking exercise once it becomes law and I for one won't be risking a 2000 baht fine for no helmet (and that's a massive fine for a lot of Thai's)

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, StevieAus said:

I don’t see how increasing fines is going to be a punishment as I understand many are not paid or pursued for payment.

I have a friend who just throws his traffic fines in the bin -  he's done this for over 20 years with no repurcussions. He used to get a tiecket for parking every week.

6 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Rightfully, so many people have been asking for helmets to be enforced for years. Now Thailand increases no helmet fine from 500 to 2000 and people still finding ways to criticize the move

I reckon there'll be a massive helmet checking exercise once it becomes law and I for one won't be risking a 2000 baht fine for no helmet (and that's a massive fine for a lot of Thai's)

That could be a weeks wages for a thai's is jail threat for not paying. I think it will be targeted

So will that mean the cars that park over the zebra crossing sometimes two deep outside my daughters school while the police are on crossing duty will actually start doing something about it..........wishful thinking.

They did the seatbelt crackdown already about five or six years ago. I remember the placards, in English, hanging off the front seats of taxis. Also remember a crackdown on going the wrong way about the same time. Used to be a giant sign warning 1000 baht fine for going about 30 meters the wrong way in order to get on the highway overpass near my house--otherwise, you need to make two U-turns and go about 1.5 km.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 5:51 PM, snoop1130 said:

The new law also raised the maximum fine from 500 to 2,000 baht for driving in wrong direction and failure to wear a helmet or a seat belt.

So its maximum is UP to 2,000 baht, probably 200 or less for Thai nationals and 2,000 is the new farang price. Before 500 was the farang price. and price for locals was a wai with promise to do better next time.

Edited by Eaglekott