How can they make a profit ?

Custard boy

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Ever tried to apply a factory job in the west? You get paid just as horrible, even it might be enough for a basic life, which is the same for many Chinese. Try applying for a job at Amazon in the USA and tell us how nice it is.

People are paid only $10 a day in the west or Amazon

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

I wrote "It comes from a location where the workers involved are probably paid very little and have few rights." and "The money earned by the workers involved is 100% irrelevant to the final price? Really?"

If you actually read my comments previously, you would have gotten the answer. Again, no that is not relevant to this.

You could cry over so many things in that case, that it is sad some people are being paid peanuts, well, you can start looking around in Thailand too. Does that make prices cheap? No, you still pay 120 baht for a small beer sometimes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you actually read my comments previously, you would have gotten the answer. Again, no that is not relevant to this.

You could cry over so many things in that case, that it is sad some people are being paid peanuts, well, you can start looking around in Thailand too. Does that make prices cheap? No, you still pay 120 baht for a small beer sometimes.

I think you are grasping at straws to make your point.

I buy a certain item from China manufacturers directly for many years, so I buy in bulk and get FOB prices.

The same items are available on Lazada and Shopee, and often I can buy 1 piece, including shipping, cheaper that I can get it ordering 100 pcs of the same item from the factory

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:28 PM, Antiparovian said:

What is a clamp meter?

It's about 0.37 metric meter. The hight of the unit or a device that measure clamps.

Kidding, it's a meter that measures how much currency that flows through a cable. Good to use if your fuses in the house blows and you are unsure what causes it. Most models work on AC currency only. 

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2022 at 11:16 PM, Custard boy said:

how do both the Lazada company and the Lazada seller make any worthwhile end profit .

To get back to the original question, I think there are several reasonable explanations.

First, Walmart sells an apparently identical item -- same part number -- for $9.09.  Gross profit 24.4% (est) 2022, but for items like this I could imagine they're paying the same as you or less per item.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DT3266F-Portable-Digital-Multimeter-Clamp-Meter-AC-DC-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Tester/171810582?

Second, the marginal cost of production of one unit is probably very, very low -- think of cosmetics.  There are many similar products, with minimal product differentiation, and assembled with minimal labor.  I would think that just about all of the parts are just commodity items, some of which (the switch and most of the internal electronics) are used for other electronic doodads as well.

Third, it's not unreasonable to imagine that even, if Walmart "owns" this particular design, the Chinese producer might have the right to sell to the ASEAN market.  Or might have just licensed it to Walmart's (I think) 24 countries themselves. 

Fourth, these particular units might have failed Walmart's quality controls (laughs!), but are still good enough for most home applications; e.g. seeing if a wire is live, which doesn't require high accuracy.  Think of factory outlet stores -- selling rejects is a common business model.

Fifth, yes, companies do go bankrupt, and yes, their stock is usually sold off very quickly and cheaply by the creditor (who is in the money business, not the clamp business).  Think of Big Lots stores.

Sixth, Lazada is locked in a death battle with Shopee -- has either one ever had a profitable year?  So for now, at least, losing money to build market is part of the business plan. 

Seventh, I think that our notion that it should be more expensive is anchored in the fact that very similar looking tools may provide more functionality and much higher quality / circuitry, for a higher price; check out Fluke.  

Interesting question, 

-- Retiree

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, transam said:

Mr.DIY is incredibly cheap, mostly Chinese stuff, as for Lazada sales, perhaps mountain high stuff in China, that has to be sold off somehow....

Yes Trans, a new Mr DIY has just opened in my village and it is really cheap as you say, only one downside, I bought an electric shaver for about 200Bt hoping to get a couple of months out of it. I tried it out and it did not shave very well at all, just a pity I did not keep the receipt.

• Thumbs Up 1