Russia cuts off gas exports to Europe via Nord Stream indefinitely

Scott

3 minutes ago, blazes said:

It's worth actually spelling it out:  here (see link below) is Trump at the United Nations in  2018 warning Germany that they might come to regret their dependence on Russian energy.   (Cameras panned to the German delegation giggling at this rube from America telling them how to run their country!!)

In case this link  is  verboten, just google Trump, Germany, Russian energy:

[unapproved link removed]

Where was Russia going to get the gas? It's main motivation was to shut down coal and nuclear power generation in favour of natural gas which is much cleaner than the former two. Nuclear power may not produce CO2 but ultimately nuclear waste poses a huge problem for the planet, not to mention the now obvious danger.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no disagreement that renewable is the future, but that future is not yet with us. IMO they should have stuck with nuclear, as France has done, till that future is a reality.

Don't knock fossil fuel- it was the means by which we all live better lives than pre combustion engines, and the whales certainly benefited.

You’ve been saying that for how long?

The technology and economics of renewable energy has changed n their favor dramatically in the past ten years, even in the past 5 years and is accelerating.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

If anybody did warn about this danger, please accept my apology, and name the one person that raised the alarm(and was mercilessly mocked for doing so).

The UK would be the first back in 2014

UK says world needs to cut dependence on Russian gas, calls for G7 action

Energy Secretary Ed Davey said Britain would use the meeting to promote a global plan for developing alternative energy sources and supply networks to try to curb Russia’s ability to wield its gas reserves as a geopolitical tool.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-russia-energy-idUSBREA3L0KA20140422

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve been saying that for how long?

The technology and economics of renewable energy has changed n their favor dramatically in the past ten years, even in the past 5 years and is accelerating.

He has been saying that for as long as I can remember.

Old Putin is certainly tightening the screws on Europe ,but in the back of my mind I’m wondering if this play is one of desperation on his part he obviously desperately needs the money to finance his war of conquest against Ukraine .hopefully Europe will call his bluff hang tight and continue to support Ukraine .the only bright spot imo is the renewed urgency in improving renewables.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well that one person would be Barack Obama who warned the Germans about their foolishness way back in March of 2014.

Obama urges EU to diversify its energy sources to end dependency on Russia

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/03/26/eu-to-press-obama-at-summit-for-aid-in-cutting-russian-gas-imports.html

Then there was another fella named Joe Biden who issued a similar warning in 2016

Biden warns Europe against dependency on Russia for heating oil and natural gas

https://www.dw.com/en/biden-warns-europe-against-dependency-on-russia-for-heating-oil-and-natural-gas/a-19503334

There was a Johnny-come-lately who issued a similar warning in 2018. I can't think of his name, though. I'll work on that and get back to you.

These links are interesting  for the way they indicate that US foreign and  economic policy does not change at all from one administration to another. 

If you read the links you will see that US warnings about dependency on Russian oil are part and parcel of the ongoing trade negotiations between the US and  the EU. 

Basically, the US is saying the EU needs to pivot towards US gas imports,  away from Russian imports.  In other words, buy gas from us rather than those  goddam Russkies if you  want progress on the trade talks.  

Nothing to do with American goodwill towards a possibly freezing  Europe!!  (And  that sentiment applies to Obama, Biden and Trump, which  only goes to  show, what we always already knew, that Eisenhower was correct: it is the military/industrial complex that  profits from (and runs) all US government "policy".)

• Like 1

You don't have to be a leader or a University lecturer to understand why Gazprom turned the Nordstrom gas pipeline off. Germany issued more sanctions against Putin his response turn the Gas off to Germany. Oh and throw in it's a Maintenance issue then three days later it's off permanently.  

From Financial Times "Just in: Russia’s gas supplies to Europe will not resume in full until the 'collective west' lifts sanctions against Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine, the Kremlin has said."

Meanwhile Russia is burning off all its gas supply destined for Germany:

Experts say the gas would previously have been exported to Germany.

Germany's ambassador to the UK told BBC News that Russia was burning the gas because "they couldn't sell it elsewhere".

Scientists are concerned about the large volumes of carbon dioxide and soot it is creating, which could exacerbate the melting of Arctic ice.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62652133

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I wonder how much Frau Ursula pays to heat her home and to fill her tank.

Also, NS2 was initially closed by the Germans some months ago, not sure what they are complaining about now. I thought the super bright EU leaders had everything arranged to import from Qatar and such. For double the price sure but that's secondary. The Italian PM Draghi famously stated a few months ago "do you want aircon or freedom"? He's been shown the door. A big friend of Frau Ursula btw. I am sure they are both very welcome in their next UN or NATO posts.

Do you have an issue with Germans or with women?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

From Financial Times "Just in: Russia’s gas supplies to Europe will not resume in full until the 'collective west' lifts sanctions against Moscow over its invasion of Ukraine, the Kremlin has said."

Meanwhile Russia is burning off all its gas supply destined for Germany:

Experts say the gas would previously have been exported to Germany.

Germany's ambassador to the UK told BBC News that Russia was burning the gas because "they couldn't sell it elsewhere".

Scientists are concerned about the large volumes of carbon dioxide and soot it is creating, which could exacerbate the melting of Arctic ice.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62652133

I read that too, elsewhere. This disruption to the entire planet because the vanity project of just one man. Who found he could just not march his military into a country he fancied and take it over.

Ukraine declared independence from the Soviet Union (thanks to the wrecker Boris Yeltsin).

They are now independent and that's it. For Better or Worse. 

And what about that pardon you granted to Yeltsin so you could take over?

Yeltsin and Putin. Scumbags. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1