Smallpox vaccine cannot prevent monkeypox infection – Thai Medical Sciences Department

webfact

image.jpeg

The use of smallpox vaccine to inoculate humans against monkeypox does not work, because it does not generate the immunity required to prevent monkeypox infection, according to Dr. Supakit Sirilak, director-general of the Medical Sciences Department, yesterday (Monday).

He disclosed that the department recently conducted human trials on 30 volunteers, who were vaccinated against smallpox over four decades ago. The volunteers were divided into three age groups of ten each by age: 45-54, 55-64 and 65-74 years old.

Dr. Supakit said that the tests show that 28 of them did not develop any immunity against monkeypox and only two developed minimal level of immunity.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/smallpox-vaccine-cannot-prevent-monkeypox-infection-thai-medical-sciences-department/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

Ahhh Thai science. World leading, cutting edge, ground breaking. How well I remember their cure for aids, cure for cancer, on point home made covid vaccinations. Truly a wonder to behold. Having said that poy sian? Fxxxng miracle.

In other news no a 40 year old vaccine may not be effective but 

there a monkeypox vaccine? The crossover between monkeypox and smallpox means that the prevention plan for them also matches up. According to the CDC, smallpox vaccines are up to 85% effective in preventing monkeypox.19 Aug 2022

Edited by starky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, starky said:

Ahhh Thai science. World leading, cutting edge, ground breaking. How well I remember their cure for aids, cure for cancer, on point home made covid vaccinations. Truly a wonder to behold. Having said that poy sian? Fxxxng miracle.

Yet the CDC in the US says this, so Thailands scientist and medical doctors must have better qualified scientists and doctors then the US and the rest of the world......God, or wait here it is Buddah, please help us...

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/clinicians/smallpox-vaccine.html

When properly administered before an exposure, vaccines are effective at protecting people against monkeypox.  ACAM2000 and JYNNEOSTM (also known as Imvamune or Imvanex) are the two currently licensed vaccines in the United States to prevent smallpox.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I do not understand. Has there been 28 cases of monkeypox that were not reported? My worry is all the wild monkeys and do they infect street dogs?

...an un-determined rodent is the reservoir of this badly named pox viruse..it first came to light in 1958 when zoo monkeys in Copenhagen tested POS. Any mammal can catch this pox from an infected animal and spread it. Don't be too hard on the monkeys. There has been a documented case of a dog and cat catching this pox virus from a human. I hope this helps. People who have been vaccinated 30-40 years ago would no longer have any immunity and would need to be re-vaccinated.

(My reference is This Week in Virology, (TWiV) YouTube podcast by Prof. V. Racianello and Physician Dr. D. Griffin).

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet the CDC in the US says this, so Thailands scientist and medical doctors must have better qualified scientists and doctors then the US and the rest of the world......God, or wait here it is Buddah, please help us...

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/clinicians/smallpox-vaccine.html

When properly administered before an exposure, vaccines are effective at protecting people against monkeypox.  ACAM2000 and JYNNEOSTM (also known as Imvamune or Imvanex) are the two currently licensed vaccines in the United States to prevent smallpox.

Piffle I will continue as the great leader has instructed with my tiffy paracetamol, my fai talah Jone and a poy sian permanently inserted in my left nostril under my face mask and I shall fear no illness.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

Just now, starky said:

Piffle I will continue as the great leader has instructed with my tiffy paracetamol, my tah falah Jone and a poy sian permanently inserted in my left nostril under my face mask and I shall fear no illness.

Excellent my friend, just excellent....Have a great rest of the week living life daily while keeping the Pox away....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, starky said:

Ahhh Thai science. World leading, cutting edge, ground breaking. How well I remember their cure for aids, cure for cancer, on point home made covid vaccinations.

You forgot the ebola vaccine.

• Haha 1

Could just be a consequence of using sub standard or out of date smallpox vaccinations in the first place, or perhaps the people used in the test had not even actually been vaccinated.

Could even be a made up story. I could not imagine anybody here actually volunteering to be infected with monkeypox

Or is it just another "expert" raising their profile with a bit of doom mongering?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Could just be a consequence of using sub standard or out of date smallpox vaccinations in the first place, or perhaps the people used in the test had not even actually been vaccinated.

Could even be a made up story. I could not imagine anybody here actually volunteering to be infected with monkeypox

Or is it just another "expert" raising their profile with a bit of doom mongering?

Totally agree. Who is volunteeeing for a quick dose of the pox to test the effiacy of a vaccine they had 40 years ago. Youd wanna be paid well. Like a couple of Prawits watches at least.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

Well according to the linked article they now have 1000 doses of a new vaccine, and will now decide who deserves it . I wonder how that will assessed ?  Probably according to wealth / influence

Reading between the lines it looks like they don't routinely use the smallpox vaccine anymore as there has not been a case here for "several decades"  that does not seem very sensible , have other countries stopped vaccinating for smallpox?

It was probably worthwhile to see if people vaccinated over 40 years ago still had some protection or not.  That does not mean though the vaccine given more recently would not be effective.  Just like they have annual influenza vaccinations.

Edited by rwill

Smallpox vaccine doesn't prevent chicken pox either.

I was going to suggest doing something like a "chicken pox party" to control monkey pox.  When the first kid in the neighborhood came down with chicken pox, all the mom's with young kids would get together and all the kids would get exposed to chicken pox and contract it at the same time; then be done with it.

Idon't think this concept will work with monkey pox.