3bb download speed

roger101

I have a fibre optic link from the house to the 3BB router 740 metres away.

My package is 1Gb download and 300Mb upload on LAN..

Attached is a screenshot taken just after 7pm tonight.

I got 3BB to come to my house to test the system. Using their cable and laptop it was great. Using my LAN cable and their laptop, it was great.

Using my LAN cable or theirs the upload was great but the download was less that 100 Mb.

I replaced my LAN cable with a cat5E cable and it has not improved as much as I hoped.

My son's pc on the end of a 20 metre ordinary LAN cable is fine both upload and download.

Ring the 3BB call centre and they may be able to talk you through the problem. If that doesn't fix it, get 3BB to come to you, as it may be a problem at your end.

I took my Acer AIO desktop back to the shop and they tweaked it but it is still not brilliant.

Screenshot 2022-09-09 190346.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I would like to say how pleased I am with 3bb service. I would like to but I can't. I popped into the 3bb office on Saturday to try and sort out my problem.

Can't help she said but I will send someone on Sunday to your home to sort it out. What time, no idea she  replied

So I've sat here all day waiting for 3bb who didn't arrive. So no sports coverage at home for the second night running. To say I'm upset is an understatement.

If they don't fix it tomorrow I'm going to start thinking about who to change to.

• Like 2

3BB in Phuket... a little disappointing.

I also have a TV running "Pulse-TV" - an Internet TV service - but I don't know how much bandwidth it uses.

So I paused it for a few minutes before testing again.

The result was slightly worse!   ???? 

(I also have 2 PCs running, but they are not doing much that I am aware of.)

With TV on:                              With TV paused:

1289983761_200FastSpeedtest12022-09-1120_39_10-Greenshot.jpg.7d090791ce16caa3b0295e4f31228fd4.jpg     95272889_200fastspeedtest22022-09-1120_40_26-Greenshot.jpg.af521a77fe0a9df041217a19c3035552.jpg

• Like 1

What speed are you paying for?

Are you using a VPN?

I've got True and they've got excellent customer service.  They'll come out to my house in the middle of nowhere Nakhon and fix any problems.

3BB may do the same.  Call them and tell them your problem and have them come to your house.

Good idea about the router.  Many companies will happily give you there older models if you don't ask for the newest and best router.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:18 PM, billd766 said:

Using my LAN cable or theirs the upload was great but the download was less that 100 Mb.

I replaced my LAN cable with a cat5E cable and it has not improved as much as I hoped.

My son's pc on the end of a 20 metre ordinary LAN cable is fine both upload and download.

From your comment it should be obvious that the problem is your PC and not 3BB, because then your son would have the same issue

• Like 2

Here's my package:

1049435134_5003BBMyPackage2022-09-1121_37_07-Greenshot.jpg.adc9654b05487f7cef02dde0044a3430.jpg

Perhaps I should pay them a visit?

41 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

3BB in Phuket... a little disappointing.

I also have a TV running "Pulse-TV" - an Internet TV service - but I don't know how much bandwidth it uses.

So I paused it for a few minutes before testing again.

The result was slightly worse!   ???? 

(I also have 2 PCs running, but they are not doing much that I am aware of.)

With TV on:                              With TV paused:

1289983761_200FastSpeedtest12022-09-1120_39_10-Greenshot.jpg.7d090791ce16caa3b0295e4f31228fd4.jpg     95272889_200fastspeedtest22022-09-1120_40_26-Greenshot.jpg.af521a77fe0a9df041217a19c3035552.jpg

Edited by JetsetBkk
Image screw-up

15 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

From your comment it should be obvious that the problem is your PC and not 3BB, because then your son would have the same issue

But I had 1 or 2 other problems at the same time.

Windows 10 would not update either The 3BB guy came out to do some extended tests and he suggested that I take the pc back to the dealer who fixed most of the problems but not the low download speeds. I also bought a new 3 metre cat5 e lan cable which improved the speed a bit.

I had hoped that the dealer could have downloaded new software for the ethernet chip/board/card but it seems not.

I have made a couple of half hearted attempts to reload Win 10 but it kept asking me for the 25 digit code which I don't have as it was pre-installed.

I am also indecisive about buying a genuine copy of Win 11 Pro and hoping that the ethernet drivers will update. I will buy from InvadeIT but 7k plus baht is a bit OTT if it doesn't work.

Just now, billd766 said:

But I had 1 or 2 other problems at the same time.

So you still think that 3BB is the issue?

Your internet provider has no influence on your operating system of your PC.

The ISP delivers the speed to the modem/router, and everything that happens past the router, they can't control.

It is a simple test to take your AIO to your son's room and connect it there, but you will get the same speeds.

My money is on the low spec of your PC. AIO PC's are not really known for their high specs, but most have low processing power and RAM, maybe an Intel I3, and poor Ethernet adapters.

If you don't have the 25 digit code, then I also think you have a copy Windows, because all genuine Acer PC's with OEM windows, will have that code included or on a sticker on the bottom plate, and will have a recovery method to reinstall the OS from factory.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, peterfranks said:

So you still think that 3BB is the issue?

Your internet provider has no influence on your operating system of your PC.

The ISP delivers the speed to the modem/router, and everything that happens past the router, they can't control.

It is a simple test to take your AIO to your son's room and connect it there, but you will get the same speeds.

My money is on the low spec of your PC. AIO PC's are not really known for their high specs, but most have low processing power and RAM, maybe an Intel I3, and poor Ethernet adapters.

If you don't have the 25 digit code, then I also think you have a copy Windows, because all genuine Acer PC's with OEM windows, will have that code included or on a sticker on the bottom plate, and will have a recovery method to reinstall the OS from factory.

it is possible to take my AIO to my sons room to test though not that easy.

AFAIK all the Acer computers sold by that dealer, https://www-advice-co-th.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=th&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

They have a number of dealerships across the country so they are not a fly-by-night cowboy outfit and I have dealt with the nearest shop quite often and their main branch a few times. Perhaps they have a business licence from Windows.

For some reason I cannot do a copy/paste from settings

Device specs

DESKTOP-1IJD87D

Processor

AMD A9D-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE

CORES 2C + 3G   3.10  GHz

Installed RAM 8 GB (7.45 useable)

Product ID 00327-35194-57133-AAOEM

System type 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor

Windows Specifications

Edition Windows 10 Home Single Language

Version 1909

Installed 02/6/2020

OS Build 18363.959

I got 3BB to come to my house to test the system. Using their cable and laptop it was great. Using my LAN cable and their laptop, it was great.

Ring the 3BB call centre and they may be able to talk you through the problem. If that doesn't fix it, get 3BB to come to you, as it may be a problem at your end.

I took my Acer AIO desktop back to the shop and they tweaked it but it is still not brilliant.

have the same service as yours and had very similar speeds as well, went to 3BB office couple times to change the router as they didn't believe it was routers problem, had the so called new WiFi 6, they changed it 3 times, still same speed, lost patience with their back and forth non sense, asked for the old WiFi router and it has been working fine ever since, however to get really good speed at around 940-946 I do have to reset/restart the router once I feel it slowing down to around 3-400 as the router sometimes finds a faraway server, not set to a fixed server thus the speed variations, but please with "old" router

• Thanks 1

One thing to be aware of: If your son's computer is connected to a different port on the router than your computer connects to, it is possible that, due to router setup, the ports can have different speeds.  One port may have a more complex, or bandwidth-limiting setup, especially if the router has layer 3 functions.  In this case, testing via your son's cable, and he via yours, may show a difference.

But if the problem is because your connections are corroding, or because your computer's network backplane is underbuilt, it may be the computer itself which limits things.

• Thanks 1

I am on a 1,000/1,000 with 3BB and get average ping 4 ms , 900mbps download and 700mbps upload which is pretty good to me and happy .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

it is possible to take my AIO to my sons room to test though not that easy.

AFAIK all the Acer computers sold by that dealer, https://www-advice-co-th.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=th&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

They have a number of dealerships across the country so they are not a fly-by-night cowboy outfit and I have dealt with the nearest shop quite often and their main branch a few times. Perhaps they have a business licence from Windows.

For some reason I cannot do a copy/paste from settings

Device specs

DESKTOP-1IJD87D

Processor

AMD A9D-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE

CORES 2C + 3G   3.10  GHz

Installed RAM 8 GB (7.45 useable)

Product ID 00327-35194-57133-AAOEM

System type 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor

Windows Specifications

Version 1909

Installed 02/6/2020

OS Build 18363.959

Your downloads speed will depend on the Lan port on your laptop. Not all laptops and android boxes have a 1000mps/1gb port.

Go to "Network & Internet" on your settings then "View hardware and connection properties" and look at... Link Speed (Receive/Transmit): 1000/1000(mbps)

Hope this helps to answer your download speed....apologies if you knew already ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keithsimmonds said:

Your downloads speed will depend on the Lan port on your laptop. Not all laptops and android boxes have a 1000mps/1gb port.

Go to "Network & Internet" on your settings then "View hardware and connection properties" and look at... Link Speed (Receive/Transmit): 1000/1000(mbps)

Hope this helps to answer your download speed....apologies if you knew already ????

Thank you Keith

I didn't know that so thank you again.

I have gone to "Network & Internet" on settings but I cannot find  "View hardware and connection properties".

I have rooted around in Device manager and found 

Network adaptors

Qualcom Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adaptor #7

Driver

Update Driver

Driver updated   best driver already selected.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Thank you Keith

I didn't know that so thank you again.

I have gone to "Network & Internet" on settings but I cannot find  "View hardware and connection properties".

I have rooted around in Device manager and found 

Network adaptors

Qualcom Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adaptor #7

Driver

Update Driver

Driver updated   best driver already selected.

I am still learning myself......i will ask a mate to see if he knows where you might be able to find the lan port capacity on your laptop.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

I am still learning myself......i will ask a mate to see if he knows where you might be able to find the lan port capacity on your laptop.

Thank you.

Many of us at at some learning stage or the other, and I find that posts like this can help other people.

There are of course some "superstars" who know everything and believe that they are the greatest, but fortunately not many. I just weed them out and if they still persist, they go on my ignore list.

I'm just about to give up completely on 3bb. No service Saturday and Sunday not bad Monday but stopped again tonight and has been down now for 5 hours . Just came back for me too send this.

If I'm going to change I need to know who to go to.

I'm in a condo so it's only a phone line access (TOT) I did have 30 mbps but as of now it's 4mbps when it's up and running'

What's my best choice of providers if I'm going to change.

I look forward to getting your comments.

11 hours ago, roger101 said:

I'm just about to give up completely on 3bb. No service Saturday and Sunday not bad Monday but stopped again tonight and has been down now for 5 hours . Just came back for me too send this.

I'm in a condo so it's only a phone line access (TOT) I did have 30 mbps but as of now it's 4mbps when it's up and running'

Go to their shop, tell them you want to cancel.

That might make them do something.

I haven't read all the posts, I have a 12 year old PC, 3BB 631 bht 1GB supply.

Speed test, 750/305Mbps.....

Only prob I had in the past was not getting anywhere near 1GB, the LAN card in the PC was not 1GB, replaced it to 1Gb which cured the prob.....

A top-notch VPN pulled the speed well down, did away with it, the 3BB supply shows my IP different all the time, not sure why, but that's OK....????

So check LAN cards speeds...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.

Many of us at at some learning stage or the other, and I find that posts like this can help other people.

There are of course some "superstars" who know everything and believe that they are the greatest, but fortunately not many. I just weed them out and if they still persist, they go on my ignore list.

Perhaps that is why you have been struggling with these problems for what seems like years. 'Weeding out' the best people and leaving yourself with the people who just take wild stabs at the issue.

I can already see where you have been going wrong in this thread alone, but am loathe to get involved with you again.

Good luck to anyone else who chooses to do so. They are likely flogging a dead horse.

I am sure that you stated earlier that you took it to a shop and they fixed your Windows 10 install. What happened to that? Why are you trying to install Windows 10 again?

ven with that, I can see where you are going wrong. Have fun.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roger101 said:

Where is your back up?? With mobile broadband available at a reasonable cost, there is little to no reason for not having it as a fallback.

Up to 30 Mbps is available, more than enough for your streaming needs; 1690 baht for 12 months or 235 baht per month. Prepaid, so no obligation.

Use your Smartphone as a modem or buy a 4G router for around 1400 baht.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:16 PM, billd766 said:

Version 1909

Installed 02/6/2020

OS Build 18363.959

Microsoft has reminded users that Windows 10, version 1909 (also known as the November 2019 Update), will reach the end of service next month, in May 2021.

Latest version is 21H2

This You Tube video may help.

Edited by elfpattaya
Added video

20 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Where is your back up?? With mobile broadband available at a reasonable cost, there is little to no reason for not having it as a fallback.

Up to 30 Mbps is available, more than enough for your streaming needs; 1690 baht for 12 months or 235 baht per month. Prepaid, so no obligation.

Use your Smartphone as a modem or buy a 4G router for around 1400 baht.

The trouble is I have no idea how to do what you're writing about. I just want something I can plug into the phone line and then forget about.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:42 PM, keithsimmonds said:

my link speed using WiFi is 144/72 (Mbps) it also says maximum transmission  unit 1,500 is it good or bad