‘God save the King!’ Smiling Charles greets crowd at palace

webfact

image.jpeg

Britain’s King Charles III and Britain’s Camilla, Queen Consort greet the crowd upon their arrival Buckingham Palace in London, on September 9, 2022, a day after Queen Elizabeth II died at the age of 96. – Queen Elizabeth II, the longest-serving monarch in British history and an icon instantly recognisable to billions of people around the world, died at her Scottish Highland retreat on September 8. (Photo by Daniel LEAL / AFP)

A smiling King Charles III shook hands with some of the thousands of well-wishers gathered outside Buckingham Palace Friday as he returned to London following the death of his mother Queen Elizabeth II.

Shouting “God save the King” and with an impromptu burst of the reworded national anthem, members of the crowd greeted Charles and Queen Consort Camilla after they emerged from their car following a flight from Scotland.

The royal standard was raised for the first time in Charles’s reign, as the new monarch and Camilla inspected bouquets of flowers left on the palace fence by members of the public, before entering their new London home.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/god-save-the-king-smiling-charles-greets-crowd-at-palace/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wish him well now he's got the job he's been training for all his life.

I just hope the press stop savaging him at every opportunity.

Having said that, if he waits a while then abdicates in favour of William ( preferably before they spend loads on new stationary and bank notes etc ), IMO that would be the right thing to do.

IMO that would be the thing most likely to stave off calls for an end to the monarchy.

Unlikely he will stand down unless ill health forces it.  He has declared that he will "serve" until he pops his clogs and Camilla will see that he keeps to that. Charles is a marmite figure with more people disliking him than the other way round.  The monarchy will never be the same again now that the Queen has died.  I have never been a royalist by any stretch of the imagination and think that they are all unworthy with the exception of William and Kate.  

Difficult to get my head around saying King Charles without tagging on Spaniel at the end

Charles officially announced as king at royal ceremony

LONDON (AP) — King Charles III was officially announced as Britain’s monarch Saturday, in a ceremony steeped in ancient tradition and political symbolism — and, for the first time, broadcast live.

Charles automatically became king when his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, died on Thursday, but the accession ceremony is a key constitutional and ceremonial step in introducing the new monarch to the country.

Scores of senior politicians past and present, including Prime Minister Liz Truss and five of her predecessors, gathered in the ornate state apartments at St. James’s Palace for the meeting of the Accession Council.

They met without Charles, officially confirming his title, King Charles III. The king joined them to make a personal declaration, vowing to follow his mother’s “inspiring example” as he took on the duties of monarch.

(more)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/charles-officially-announced-as-king-at-royal-ceremony/ar-AA11FDtJ

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Unlikely he will stand down unless ill health forces it.  He has declared that he will "serve" until he pops his clogs and Camilla will see that he keeps to that. Charles is a marmite figure with more people disliking him than the other way round.  The monarchy will never be the same again now that the Queen has died.  I have never been a royalist by any stretch of the imagination and think that they are all unworthy with the exception of William and Kate.  

Difficult to get my head around saying King Charles without tagging on Spaniel at the end

Exactly why I hope Charles abdicates in favour of William. IMO if he doesn't, it could lead to the end of the monarchy, given the desire evident in the past to get rid of it.

William and Kate are, IMO, the means to save it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly why I hope Charles abdicates in favour of William. IMO if he doesn't, it could lead to the end of the monarchy, given the desire evident in the past to get rid of it.

To be fair, and in all due respect, your opinion doesn’t come into it.

That’s how monarchy works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In a monarchy you don't get to select the best or the right person for the job.  If Andrew was the first born he would now be King and there would be nothing that could be done to prevent that, such is the ridiculous system of a monarchy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James105 said:

In a monarchy you don't get to select the best or the right person for the job.  If Andrew was the first born he would now be King and there would be nothing that could be done to prevent that, such is the ridiculous system of a monarchy.  

Very true, but one can hope that the monarch acts in the interest of the people and the monarchy.

I agree with tbl here that he should abdicate asap in the interest of both.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Very true, but one can hope that the monarch acts in the interest of the people and the monarchy.

I agree with tbl here that he should abdicate asap in the interest of both.

Lets give him a few months to enjoy it, just so long as they don't have to issue new bank notes etc. He's been waiting 73 years for this.

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I hope you are wrong. He knows what it's like to wait too long, and I hope he doesn't want William to suffer the same way.

Waiting to be crowned King , 70 years of suffering and pain ?

All those years living in a Castle without a crown , how did he get through such a difficult time ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Well said sir.

I happen to be an avowed monarchist, for a great many reasons, but the political argument which you advance for a hereditary monarch as our head of state is unassailable.

Goodness, we could have (most probably would have) ended up with "President Blair"!

Sure, we may well have ended up with "President Blair", but he would not have been able to occupy the presidency for 70 years without challenge, nor would his kids automatically inherit the presidency upon his death.   Just because the Queen happened to be a good egg is not a reason to continue with a system that should be confined to the medieval period. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, James105 said:

Sure, we may well have ended up with "President Blair", but he would not have been able to occupy the presidency for 70 years without challenge, nor would his kids automatically inherit the presidency upon his death.   Just because the Queen happened to be a good egg is not a reason to continue with a system that should be confined to the medieval period. 

Deleted 

9 minutes ago, James105 said:

Russia slaughtered their monarchy, just look what they have now.......????

The UK's Westminster has been around for centuries, where the peoples representatives discuss issues, sort of medieval, do you want that scrapped too...?

Do you want McDonald's big M as our modern day Crown symbol..?

Of course, you are not alone in your thoughts, but it is, in my opinion, from nobodies who envy....:stoner:

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 7:31 PM, possum1931 said:

I have always wondered what he has done to earn all these medals.

Maybe some Royal Family buff here can help out? Perhaps some are not 'achievement' as such but something bestowed upon him by institutions or other countries.