Any requirements for US citizen to enter US from Thailand

Editing to correct as thought you were going from US to Thailand.  As a US citizen, you don't need anything to get into the US; however, check with the airlines you are using as they might want something and also check with transit requirements in any countries you transit through on the way back.

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

If you go via JAL, they connect in Tokyo. Even if just passing through they require a Covid test 72 hours before entering.

What about going through Taiwan? I think there is an airline called EVA Air. Do they require any Covid test for unvaccinated American citizen?

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What about going through Taiwan? I think there is an airline called EVA Air. Do they require any Covid test for unvaccinated American citizen?

I believe Taiwan is just closed down hard. I usually fly EVA, but they won't even sell you a ticket. That was a few months ago, but I'd be leery even if they reopened.

Edited by HappyExpat57

20 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

If you go via JAL, they connect in Tokyo. Even if just passing through they require a Covid test 72 hours before entering.

I went to the US on Aug 3 & returned Aug 31 on JAL. They never said word one to me about a Covid test. All they did was request a visual copy of my vaccination record, and it was up to date.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 1:59 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

Not true at all. Japan and and all the airlines operating thru Japan airports have never required covid 19 tests for transit thru Japan to another country. This has been true throughout the pandemic. One does not even need a covid test now to enter Japan if 3x vaccinated. Visa is another issue. 

On 9/10/2022 at 4:37 AM, EricTh said:

No. No covid test required to transit Taiwan at this time

In fact no covid test is required to enter Taiwan as of August.

One of Taiwan's strategies during the great pandemic was to ban transit passengers completely!

The first time I was to return to Thailand late December 2020 I had to suddenly cancel and re-book thru Incheon. Japan and Korea never banned transit pax or required transit pax to submit tests unless the country of destination required it of course 

• Like 1

No requirements for US citizens returning to the US. Check with airlines if stopover airports (countries) require it. Japan has been, Taiwan is not.

Eva Airlines has been up and running transpac flights for a month and a half now. Although the ‘Pelosi War Games’ put a damper on it for a couple weeks. Taipei airport is open for those transiting, although very few people; food & duty free closing down early (2100), On the plus side they have remodeled the main hall a bit, and security screenings are a breeze with so few flying through.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Not true at all. Japan and and all the airlines operating thru Japan airports have never required covid 19 tests for transit thru Japan to another country. This has been true throughout the pandemic. One does not even need a covid test now to enter Japan if 3x vaccinated. Visa is another issue. 

I just called them last week and can confirm what you write, though there was a caveat. The representative asked me which airport I was flying into to make a connection and was I connecting through after midnight. As I was connecting through Narita at 4:00 pm, they said a test was not required. IF I were using JAL, I would still call to make absolutely sure whether or not a test was required. And as of about six months ago their website said absolutely a Covid test was required.

Edited by HappyExpat57

On 9/10/2022 at 3:59 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

If you go via JAL, they connect in Tokyo. Even if just passing through they require a Covid test 72 hours before entering

not required for transiting, went through Tokyo on August 8th and September 9th not asked for

13 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

No requirements for US citizens returning to the US. Check with airlines if stopover airports (countries) require it. Japan has been, Taiwan is not.

You mean even for those non-vaccinated?

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

You mean even for those non-vaccinated?

"The CDC order from December 2, 2021, requiring persons aged two and above to show a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 before boarding a flight to the United States, is rescinded, effective June 12, 2022, at 12:01AM ET."

This applies across the board for US entry, vaxx or non vaxxed. FULL STOP. This applies to US passport holders. If not a US passport holder,  you need to look up entry requirements.

• Thanks 1

"If you are transiting Japan to an onward international destination, you will not be subject to Japanese entry requirements, as long as your transit occurs within the same airport and no overnight stay is required. You will not be permitted to travel from one Japanese airport to another in order to board a connecting flight. Please note that Narita Airport does not operate 24 hours and you will not be able to stay in the transit area overnight." https://jp.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/.

This stopped me from buying a round trip ticket a month ago since thr return though Japan required a change of airports from Haneda

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I just called them last week and can confirm what you write, though there was a caveat. The representative asked me which airport I was flying into to make a connection and was I connecting through after midnight. As I was connecting through Narita at 4:00 pm, they said a test was not required. IF I were using JAL, I would still call to make absolutely sure whether or not a test was required. And as of about six months ago their website said absolutely a Covid test was required.

HappyExpat57 I just came back from Tokyo, so glad this long long pandemic appears to be winding down. 

I am absolutely sure a test is not required to transit Japan on JL, ANA or any other airline. You can't make a connection at NRT after 11:00 PM because the passenger terminal is closed. There are never any overnight flights scheduled, long standing reasons. KIX and HND are 24 hours. Many People got burned because airline websites and the likes of eXpedia sell itineraries that would be legal for a Japan resident or passport holder, but not possible for the average tourist because for example  one cannot take a bus between HND and NRT or stay overnight in Narita without a visa and all the requirements to enter Japan

If you go to the JL website "covid-19 travel information center" it leads you to a third party site called SHERPA. some of the info might be slow to update but I put in departing Thailand transiting Japan going to USA. See results below. ESTA is not a visa! The mind boggles. No wonder people are confused. But as you see  no test required. 

image.png.8659828b46221b0ef89837a2056ecf64.png

I have nothing against JL/staff but the website is probably the worst I have used. Just took a fresh look at the JL official website now. The main area currently It is rife with inaccurate information completely invalid after Japan ruled some changes that came in effect Sept 7! It is now September 19 in Japan. No surprise from the nation of floppy discs and fax machines. One gets better info from youTube 

There has always been some cases of agents/stations apparently making up there own rules.  I myself was in April 2021 denied boarding on a transit flight thru Narita to return to the US by ANA staff in Bangkok, for no valid reason.

Japan NEVER required covid testing to transit Japan. Japanese airlines strictly went and still go  by the country of destinations requirements so for most of the pandemic covid tests were required, not to transit Japan but because Thaliand, Malaysia, USA etc required it.

As a resident and active airline pilot entering/transiting Japan  dozens of times since April 2020 following the situation very closely. There were also some reports of ANA asking for "covid test certificates" from transit passengers causing confusion. This turned out to be for their own internal data collection for tracing, and not actually required. Also the issue of whether children under six required it or not which was "preferred" but not required. Many people had boarding problems with this.

PM Kishida is in NYC this week and is expected to make grand announcement of further loosening of border restrictions while he regales Biden, the UN and NY stock exchange with his planned speeches.   I am not confident it won't be another disappointment.

China and Japan, alone on the globe holding fast to ludicrous rules that cause economic damage with no valid epidemic control relevance.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 4:09 AM, moe666 said:

Is Swampy still doing test as you leave, A friend recieved a test before leaving on ANA another Japanese airline

Why ? Because he is entering Japan and is not fully vaccinated? Then it would be required to present a test certificate prior to boarding. Japan has been very strict about the type of tests it accepts. Especially regarding the so-called "sampling method".