56 provinces warned of waterway overflows following heavy rain

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand’s National Water Command Centre issued advice to people in 56 provinces today (Saturday), including Bangkok and its suburbs, to brace for possible river overflows and flooding due to heavy rainfall in the past 24 hours.

Meanwhile, the Royal Irrigation Department has stepped up efforts to ease flooding in Bangkok’s neighbouring province of Pathum Thani, by draining water from the swollen Rangsit Prayoonsak canal into the Chao Phraya River and through a network of canals into the Bang Pakong River in the eastern province of Chachoengsao and, finally, into the Gulf of Thailand.

The department has offered an assurance that the discharge of water through the Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat province, at a rate of 1,448m3/sec, and through the Pasak Jolasid Dam in Lop Buri province, at a rate of 300m3/sec since yesterday, will not affect downstream areas.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/56-provinces-warned-of-waterway-overflows-following-heavy-rain/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, finnomick1 said:

No doubt we will hear the same next year and still be totally unprepared.  I even remember ' someone ' saying a couple of years ago that Bangkok wouldn't flood any more due to the measures taken . There are 10 drier months every year in this country when canals could be built to divert water, but.....

To be fair to the city I live they have spent 2 years building up the sides of the river with huge boulders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Expat68 said:

To be fair to the city I live they have spent 2 years building up the sides of the river with huge boulders

Fair comment but boulders don't stop water. Concrete flood defenses are ok except the water flows around where it ends. Water will always find it's way.  Diversion or containment works, so does releasing dammed water providing one has the foresight to do it in time.

4 hours ago, lifeincnx said:

Where are the lucky 21?

Some among the mountains across the North of Thailand where the water flows south via tributaries to the Chao Praya River or east towards the Mekong. To name a few - Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Lampang, Nan, Petchabun, Mae Hong Son, Phitsanulok etc.

Well when it rains in northern Thailand, and there are rivers that flow into the Chao Phraya,

the notice should be,  Hey everyone, rivers in the north are flooding, and soon the Chao Phraya

will be flooding as well. Get ready!  That is the problem with living next to a river, and not being

at least 10 meters higher than the river. Good Luck to all affected.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, finnomick1 said:

Fair comment but boulders don't stop water. Concrete flood defenses are ok except the water flows around where it ends. Water will always find it's way.  Diversion or containment works, so does releasing dammed water providing one has the foresight to do it in time.

I should have mentioned with concrete in between them

18 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

The wellies I bought for the time I lived in BKK is rotting from lack of use here in CM. Furthermore, the air quality here has been excellent the past couple of years.

You you must be living in a different 'CM' to me. Here in Chiangmai it's been raining for what seems like months. Its p****** down out there right now.

• Like 2

I was a member in one of the 56 provinces yesterday. 

Ankle deep in water outside and toe nail deep inside 2 bedrooms upstairs. Only rainwater from overflowing gutters. I have done some  running repairs and this morning all seems to be well. 

My wife and I got very wet but we cleared up and no real damage done.

Worst in 30 years she said!