Teach English ( read and basic language ) to a Thai child

Aforek

Hello, 

my daughter in law has a babyboy ( about 1 year old ) and my in- laws  would like that  I teach him English

- first, at  what age to start , and is it not better to learn Thai first ( alphabet, I mean ) ?

- second, English is not my language, I am not a teacher, what I can do is to teach  him the alphabet and very basic vocabulary 

- is it legal, because of course I have no WP ( free, of course ) and  which book do you recommand for the very first beginning ?   and first, tell me if it's possible 

thank you 

Edited by Aforek
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course you can talk in English to any Thai person.

The earlier you start the boy will just naturally pick up what English you know. 

Just talking to him everyday for a hour or two build a relationship by just hello, goodbye, please, thankyou, if by about 3 or 4 years of age make it fun to write and speak ABC etc and just build on more words. 

If he wants to learn he will if he doesn't he won't.

• Thanks 1

Just speak English to him, and never speak Thai. Let everyone else speak Thai and ask them to never speak English.

If he speaks Thai to you do not tell him he is wrong. Just reply in English. If he holds a ball and says, "bon" you say, "yes, ball".

This follows the one parent, one language principle.

He will learn both languages simultaneously.

It's very possible as this is how most children with bilingual parents learn.

• Thumbs Up 2