Viral “begpacker” photos from Pattaya Beach Road cause polarizing debate on social media

webfact

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Who buys one baht necklaces?  Indian tourists?

I think Thais are realising that they are rich and “ Farangs” here in Thailand used to be thought off as rich . Thais put races in 1 basket . No diversity in their thinking. 

I know when I’m in 5 star hotels in bkk, 80%% or so are Indians and Chinese and do you know how many “ farangs” are in guest houses? 

and from what I’ve heard , Indians are ruling Pattaya and Phuket ( used to be Russians) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, marcusb said:

Good point!! Those dirty greasy long haired hippies and their wacky weed are going to descend on Thailand like locusts in biblical passages!  I tell ya, its the beginning of the end.  Its disgusting that they come to Pattaya for marijuana, instead of sex and booze and gambling like normal folks.  

You only half jest. It is the beginning of the end but not just for Pattaya, rather Thailand, as the world's Ibiza wannabees now turn the whole country into a Full Moon party.

8 minutes ago, edogthong said:

You're really showing your age, lack of wisdom as well as a basic understanding of logic with that argument. I can guarantee you that all of those hard drug criminals started with alcohol or cigarettes or coffee or tea or chocolates... I could go on but it's such a silly argument that I can't believe that there are people around who still buy into it. And what about the people who've managed to come off hard drugs because of cannabis? 

Im neither for or against it ,had my fair share of it in years gone by,but do agree with the majority on hard drugs do start of with cannabis,most if not all of the druggies in my hometown certainly did,and some of my friends too who are no longer living because of hard drugs.

They used to have street in amsterdam called needle alleyway,its now really a tourist walkthrough with shops ect but in the 90s it was full of smackheads hitting up openly,not a coincidence they started using hard drugs in amsterdam the worlds tokers heaven.

Edited by phantom51red
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I think foreigners including the press should keep their nose out of this issue.

What people don't realize is that much of the charm of Thailand comes from the diversity of the people who are attracted to the country and its welcoming people. Not all of Thailand's mystery and charm is homegrown. Look at the way Khaosan road's 'crossroads of the world' charm has been obliterated in the process of cleaning it up. Who goes there any more? It's appeal these days seems to be largely nostalgic.

Get rid of all these so-called 'unwelcome' elements and what are you left with? In the interests of not offending anyone, I'll refrain from answering that question, but a clue might be found in the bathroom mirror. And by the way, to all the cannabis enthusiasts out there, do you really think that decriminalization is not going to attract a certain (perhaps large) number of these free-spirited vagabond type tourists? Whether the cops succeed in preventing them from setting up sidewalk vending operations remains to be seen, but something tells me beach side resorts like Pattaya might see a lot more of this type of tourist in the future.

Foreigners selling items like self made jewelry, paintings, bags, postcards or other stuff used to be no problem 30 to 20 years ago,...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marcusb said:

Good point!! Those dirty greasy long haired hippies and their wacky weed are going to descend on Thailand like locusts in biblical passages!  I tell ya, its the beginning of the end.  Its disgusting that they come to Pattaya for marijuana, instead of sex and booze and gambling like normal folks.  

During the decriminalization debate that raged on this forum a few months ago, some proponents of decriminalization were attempting to portray the typical cannabis tourist as jet-setting high-end Elon Musk types and happy upscale suburban couples enjoying  discrete tokes on their vape pens while sipping on vintage Bordeaux on the balcony of their five star hotel after getting back from their chartered scuba diving excursion. I was merely suggesting that this guy might be a vanguard or at least a closer-to-reality example of the underbelly of the demographic which decriminalization might attract.

Just to repeat the counter argument so that the good citizens of Pattaya can keep an eye on the situation as it develops, be vigilant for ancillary criminal activity such as harder drug sales catering to the cannabis user demographic, or just more criminal activity in general.

The argument that the cannabis demographic is no worse than the booze or monger demographic only holds water to the extent that they're mutually exclusive. It is possible to smoke weed, drink, and pick up bar girls at the same time, right? But one thing that just crossed my mind, and pot smokers might want to consider is, is whether pot smoking impairs a person's lady boy radar. Something to think about if you're going to partake in sin city right? Could be a whole lot of cannabis fan boys in need of morning-after psychological counseling if they're not careful. 555 ????

Edited by Gecko123

6 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Ahem.  Perhaps so...but he's unlikely to have a work permit, and selling is a job a Thai could do, so he couldn't get the job anyhow.

Like it or not it is against the law. So all those who say "so what" are encouraging law breakers.