Mother files police report after son,12, on Zebra is mown down by motorcyclist

webfact

6 hours ago, 2long said:

Are you saying that if a report isn't filed by an alleged victim, there is no victim and therefore no crime?

Evidently "yes" as I witnessed several years ago when I lived in Thailand and a Volunteer with the Thai Tourist Police. Our office received serious criminal accusations regarding the unsavory activities of a local falang. I will elaborate no further. Before we could instigate an investigation at that time, our TP officers needed a copy of the police report made to the local RTP. It transpired a report was never made as the victim's mother feared "loosing face" at a possible future trial involving her young child. Unbelievable but true!  The falang got wind of the TP interest and rapidly fled Thailand never to be seen or heard of again.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Thumbs Up 1

So they want the money up front for treatment.  Does that mean they will keep the boy stabilized but not fully treat him?  Unless she has the money?  And from what I have read.  The insurance policies here are ludicrous 

• Like 2

We’ve just been driven from Hua Hin to Bangkok, there was a police check point on the Hua Hin by pass and another in Petchaburi, each with at least twenty Police Officers milling around, they were checking that those in cars were wearing seatbelts, motorcyclists, with or without helmets passed at their leisure. 
Whilst I applaud the officers giving occupants of cars the opportunity to “belt up” whilst waiting in the queue for the check point, I did wonder if it was an effective deterrent, and if they might have been better used elsewhere.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, webfact said:

and drivers rarely stop at the Zebra. 

That seems to be par for the course in Thailand: they just won’t stop, not even when they see someone crossing and know they’re going to crash into that person. Even when there are traffic lights, many still won’t stop. If the Thai authorities really want them to stop at zebra crossings, the only thing that would probably work is a barrier, like at railroad crossings.

Interesting line-up of problems which existed forever and are simply not addressed:

• law enforcement, even in Thailand a zebra crossing means, that pedestrians are to use it to cross the road safely. In a normal country of the 21st century that means, that the minute a pedestrian sets foot onto the zebra crossing, the pedestrian may cross and any vehicle must slow down or stop completely. If the zebra crossing has traffic lights, even clearer
  • it is not a matter of education, the biker is a preek in his own right and should be taken to the cleaners for voluntary manslaughter. Hand down a juicy jail sentence and publish is all over those soap opera channels. Would work wonders but if nothing is done (see the bikes on pavements, which are all back after uncle Too had his 15 minutes of fame on the issue) .....
  • That "gold card" of health insurance by the government should not be limited and curtailed with all sorts of ifs, whens and why-nots. If a country like Thailand insists on getting paid prior to treatment and eventually might even leave a passenger on a gurney in the hall to fade away, then the country has not managed to leave Neaterthal yet. Maybe the sweetheart at the Ministry of Public Health could concentrate on this rather relevant issue next

Quite clearly, those at the bottom of the ladder are pushed down further and might be reprimanded even for going public on social media ...... what's next? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

agree with idea of speed bumps however restrictive they are to travel flow, will only slow cars/trucks, etc., as motorcycles will probably just take to the sidewalk.

There should never be any speed bumps anywhere, they slow down the emergency vehicles and can cost lives.

On 9/15/2022 at 6:55 AM, webfact said:

The hospital told her because it was an accident she needs to front up money first despite the fact she has the universal health coverage (bat thong).

Sick money making enterprise..
The biker is at fault.. chase his insurance, if he has none sell everything he has.

Then jail the ba$tard.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 2long said:

I can't understand why the MOTHER has to file a police report in a case like this! What are the cops supposed to do? Are you saying that if a report isn't filed by an alleged victim, there is no victim and therefore no crime? This is crazy.

The child is incapable of making the report as he is in grievous condition in hospital, so the mother has acted on his behalf, without a report police cannot act.

The police are waiting for medical reports of each person so they can evaluate the next move.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 7:22 AM, AsianAtHeart said:

Driver education is more important than a pedestrian overpass. 

It's down to all of us to help provide the education, safely of course.

I do my bit by stepping onto Zebra crossings and making cars stop, when I'm fairly sure I can jump out the way if I need to.  Motorbikes still don't stop, they just ride around me.

I stopped my scooter for a woman gingerly crossing a newly installed zebra  crossing on my way home yesterday. 

The car behind nearly ran into me and gave me good  blast of his horn.

The lady gave me a bow and a wei. 

After she crossed, the car behind pulled out and tore past me only after to have to stop at the next crossroad 50mtrs down the road! Where I passed him. 

Idiot !

Edited by orchidfan
Spelling
  • Like 2