Quality Leather Sofa

YorkshireTyke

Hi Guys

I am looking for a quality leather sofa, where to buy?

Obviously I know of Index, SB furniture etc but I was also told a while back about a factory where you can buy direct. This one was called S C Leather and I looked at the time but I wasn't in the market then but they had lots of choice and custom material, colour etc, however now they don't appear to have much choice. 

Can anyone recommend any others? Since looking at sofas on FB ads for other places are flashing up, AY furniture, Moment Furniture, Mino Home, SK Home, Divano Studio etc

Any recommendations ?

Also how do I tell if it's quality leather? I don't mind paying the price, 50-100k, but how do I know it's value for money?

There is a JAS store in my local mall who had a sign with big discounts off but is a 107k sofa down to 64k, really good value or is it a 64k sofa ?

Any advice on where to go and how to identify good quality long lasting leather  is welcomed. 

I live in Hua Hin but I don't mind travelling to BKK to a factory if necessary, thanks.

28 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

I am looking for a quality leather sofa, where to buy?

28 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

There is a JAS store in my local mall who had a sign with big discounts off but is a 107k sofa down to 64k, really good value or is it a 64k sofa ?

It is a 64k sofa marked up to 107k to give the illusion of a discount.

There are furniture makers who will make your desired pattern in your desired material. We got the one in the picture under made for us we did not want leather and got the material you can see. The quality and features were those we chose. The piece was built for us in Bangkok and delivered in Udon it took about 4 months and was about 27,000. I would strongly suggest going to the factory and selecting all the leather yourself so you get the exact matching pieces.285AC58F-25F7-431A-910A-950939DD27FF.thumb.jpeg.19eceeec390a57a3872fc5498d9cec90.jpeg

• Like 1

I once had a sofa custom made after seeing a sample at a Bangkok furniture show.  It looked and felt OK when it was delivered but after few months of usage, hidden problems made themselves felt.  Several parts of the hidden wood structural framework were too close to the surface and became uncomfortable pressure points, impossible to avoid when sitting or lying down.  As time went on and the padding became more compressed it became unusable.

All this to say, one must be very careful ordering any custom made product where interior structures are invisible and impossible to inspect.  Were I to have a custom sofa made now, I would only choose a builder close-by enough that I could visit at various stages of construction, such as interior framework and check it out while in progress.

OP:  I checked YouTube and found quite a few videos on how to determine genuine leather, it's grades and types.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Out of interest, why leather?

I think in a climate like Thailand leather is just not a good idea.

My current sofa is a very expensive suede type leather and when I get hot and sweat my t shirt leaves the fabric wet, leather would just wipe clean, I have to steam clean this one. I couldn't imagine sitting on a fabric sofa in this country, the heat is why I want leather.

40 minutes ago, NickyLouie said:

I saw nice actual leather Lazy B Sofas at Index Living Mall.

Yes, my current sofa is from Index, original price 155 k reduced to 117k, nearly 9 years old but stored unused for 2 years. A very big, very heavy sturdy sofa and good for another 10 years I believe but as I said above it's suede, if it was leather I wouldn't change it as it's ideal size, colour and quality. (one piece with cup holders is stored in the spare bedroom as it would make it too big for my lounge)

57 minutes ago, anyone said:

Sofas made of good leather but with poor filling or with poor manufacturing technology can bring problems only.

Better look at the big factories, like Ikea and so on.

https://www.indexlivingmall.com/110034960 - they can do such sofa too I think.

Index and Ikea aren't factories though, they are retail outlets and I presume they buy from Factories but I'm not sure?

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is a 64k sofa marked up to 107k to give the illusion of a discount.

There are furniture makers who will make your desired pattern in your desired material. We got the one in the picture under made for us we did not want leather and got the material you can see. The quality and features were those we chose. The piece was built for us in Bangkok and delivered in Udon it took about 4 months and was about 27,000. I would strongly suggest going to the factory and selecting all the leather yourself so you get the exact matching pieces.285AC58F-25F7-431A-910A-950939DD27FF.thumb.jpeg.19eceeec390a57a3872fc5498d9cec90.jpeg

Yes, I tend to agree about inflating the original price to appear like a bargain, a while back JAS had a '50%' sale, but no way where they selling the sofas at their quoted original price and would be out of business if they sold everything at half price.

What factory did you use although 4 months wait seems a long time.

There's a furniture fair at BITEC 17th to 25th of Sept. All the local furniture makers will be displaying there. I bought our leather sofa at a show there about 5 years ago. If you go on the last day there are great deals to be had on the display pieces. Got mine for 28k down from 45k - couple of little scratches only on it from the show. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Yes, I tend to agree about inflating the original price to appear like a bargain, a while back JAS had a '50%' sale, but no way where they selling the sofas at their quoted original price and would be out of business if they sold everything at half price.

What factory did you use although 4 months wait seems a long time.

We used a factory that exhibited in the Khon Kaen International Convention and Exhibition Centre. It’s quite likely that they managed to get a reasonably large number of orders and we were not in a hurry for our items to be built and were happy to allow them to make the trip with the others that were destined for our area. Also 4 months for a well built piece of furniture is better than 2 weeks for a carp one (misspelled to avoid the stupid carp filter)

I checked and SWMBO doesn’t have the name of the factory, though it is in Samutprakarn 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

My current sofa is a very expensive suede type leather and when I get hot and sweat my t shirt leaves the fabric wet, leather would just wipe clean, I have to steam clean this one. I couldn't imagine sitting on a fabric sofa in this country, the heat is why I want leather.

Different strokes for different folks.

There is no way that I would have a leather sofa unless I had the AC permanently set to a ridiculously low temperature so I didn’t sweat much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is no way that I would have a leather sofa unless I had the AC permanently set to a ridiculously low temperature so I didn’t sweat much.

When I was buying a leather sofa in the UK around 30 years ago my mate's wife said 'I couldn't get a leather sofa, it will be too cold on my legs'

8 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Yes, my current sofa is from Index, original price 155 k reduced to 117k, nearly 9 years old but stored unused for 2 years. A very big, very heavy sturdy sofa and good for another 10 years I believe but as I said above it's suede, if it was leather I wouldn't change it as it's ideal size, colour and quality

I believe there are a number of reputable furniture reupholsters in Bangkok and other large cities.  You say you still like the sofa other than the current suede cover.  Why not have some reupholsters give you estimates on redoing it with a leather cover you select?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

Yes, my current sofa is from Index, original price 155 k reduced to 117k, nearly 9 years old but stored unused for 2 years. A very big, very heavy sturdy sofa and good for another 10 years I believe but as I said above it's suede, if it was leather I wouldn't change it as it's ideal size, colour and quality. (one piece with cup holders is stored in the spare bedroom as it would make it too big for my lounge)

Index and Ikea aren't factories though, they are retail outlets and I presume they buy from Factories but I'm not sure?

If it is a good sofa ( I would call it a settee), I suggest you look at recovering it in leather of your choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maybole said:

If it is a good sofa ( I would call it a settee), I suggest you look at recovering it in leather of your choice.

Recovering is probably a good choice, though still expensive.

However if it is a sofa or a settee is rather more difficult to determine. The piece I pictured is absolutely a sofa due to its size (over 2 metres x over 2 metres). But for many people there is no difference it’s just a different name for the same item.

Growing up in England we also called them settees, over here people seem to call them sofas but I don't know the difference, some people in the UK also call it a couch.

I think a recover in leather will be the same cost as buying a new one, it is L shaped and with the cup holder section in it is 3.2 metres long, I use it without the cup holder and it's 2.67 metres.

18 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Wear a vest as well, or might have to get someone to peel you off it.

• 2 months later...

We have just bought a Lazy Boy sofa and single chairs.. bit expensive but quite nice... About an 8-10 week queue at present so it seems if not in stock.

They do two qualities of leather

Two places to view ..

SB Design square   and La-Z-Boy Flagship Gallery

On 9/15/2022 at 12:20 PM, anyone said:

Sofas made of good leather but with poor filling or with poor manufacturing technology can bring problems only.

Better look at the big factories, like Ikea and so on.

https://www.indexlivingmall.com/110034960 - they can do such sofa too I think.

Sofa,s here are manufactured with NO posture springing in them.

I have yet to see one that has this feature to prevent the Cushion Seating from collapsing.

The Cushion seating is just stuffed full of fiber, and tends to sag and collapse.

Beware also the poor manufacturing of the support under the seating

Nothing like a good quality Sofa, but the pricing does not reflect this.