Preparedness and Thais....the twain will rarely meet.

VinnieK

6 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah it's exceedingly frustrating for us with different values, but it is generally how they are. You only have to go on the road to see there is very little thought for outcomes or consequences. Cutting corners and turning blind into a street on the wrong side of the road is common. Doing u turns or pulling out without looking and lets not get started on financial planning! I sometimes think Thais like to live with uncertainty and calamity

The lack of forward planning adds to the spice of life. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Ain't that right! If anything needs doing it must be done right now.... or never. No planning, no warning even. I have to live in a perpetual state of preparedness to react immediately but to do what I won't know until the always urgent request is made from the minor to the massive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some Farangs have come to like it "when the twain rarely meets". It makes for a laid back lifestyle.

IMO, the only "plan" a Farang has to persue, is to make sure that the monthly pension money arrives on time.    Everything else resembles "the plans of men and mice".

- All in stark contrast to European "Career-Families". Even planning their weekend activities to the minute. (Optimising their life. Young career folks constructing a "life-plan"). Needing to "re-calibrate" their life-plan with the help of some psychiatrists frequently.

Instead I recommend: When all the "life-planning" starts to overwhelm you, spend 3 months in a small Isaan village. Watch live go by in slow motion. Realise, that the water flow or the meanderings of the nearby river can not be "planned".

I always felt quite comfortable among Thais that were not burdened by any "plans". They seemed happier than the "life-optimisers" in the West. May it last, at least in the Thai sticks. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

Some Farangs have come to like it "when the twain rarely meets". It makes for a laid back lifestyle.

IMO, the only "plan" a Farang has to persue, is to make sure that the monthly pension money arrives on time.    Everything else resembles "the plans of men and mice".

- All in stark contrast to European "Career-Families". Even planning their weekend activities to the minute. (Optimising their life. Young career folks constructing a "life-plan"). Needing to "re-calibrate" their life-plan with the help of some psychiatrists frequently.

Instead I recommend: When all the "life-planning" starts to overwhelm you, spend 3 months in a small Isaan village. Watch live go by in slow motion. Realise, that the water flow or the meanderings of the nearby river can not be "planned".

I always felt quite comfortable among Thais that were not burdened by any "plans". They seemed happier than the "life-optimisers" in the West. May it last, at least in the Thai sticks. 

Yes, there’s the Yin for every Yang theory.  An acceptable middle point is there, not too obsessive and not too lackadaisical either.  My wife’s beloved father died of colon cancer that later metastasized to his liver. She is so sad today that she didn't take action long before to have him undergo a simple colonoscopy when it would have caught and removed the polyp that eventually killed him.  There’s that ugly Asian superstition rearing it’s ugly head again…don’t dwell on ‘it might happen’ possibilities until it smacks you right in the gut. 

Spontaneity. Living in the moment. 

As difficult as it can be for us Westerners, in a crazy sort of way, isn't that part of the charm of being here? 

I probably spend too much time worrying about the future. That was my training and I am not sure it is a better philosophy. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

Yes, there’s the Yin for every Yang theory.  An acceptable middle point is there, not too obsessive and not too lackadaisical either.  My wife’s beloved father died of colon cancer that later metastasized to his liver. 

I think you hit the nail on the head there. In my experience Thais don't seem to have a middle setting. It is either zero or 500%. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Why are Thais so allergic to warnings and general preparedness? 

Doing nothing is a lot easier than doing something for people who live in the here and now. Buddhist training manifested into today's world. 

I saw this fine example of me me me mai pen rai at local Big C today :

1 truck = 3 spaces

P_20220917_113619_1_1_1_1.jpg

Edited by Denim

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah funny that. They seem to never learn or grow. Never seem to be able to join the dots. Just keep repeating the same usually bad behavior, entitled ness, laziness etc over and over again and wonder why they cant maintain a relationship for very long. And when they do get a decent feller they take the pess.

Reason always ....man no good, get udder lady. When I hear that (over and over again) I always reply...."oh what's wrong with you ?" lol. In their mind of course nothing....they just never lucky lol

Why are you there?

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Doing nothing is a lot easier than doing something for people who live in the here and now. Buddhist training manifested into today's world. 

I saw this fine example of me me me mai pen rai at local Big C today :

1 truck = 3 spaces

P_20220917_113619_1_1_1_1.jpg

As the Thai themselves say “แน่นอนที่สุด”…”Exactly”

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

Yeah funny that. They seem to never learn or grow. Never seem to be able to join the dots. Just keep repeating the same usually bad behavior, entitled ness, laziness etc over and over again and wonder why they cant maintain a relationship for very long. And when they do get a decent feller they take the pess.

Reason always ....man no good, get udder lady. When I hear that (over and over again) I always reply...."oh what's wrong with you ?" lol. In their mind of course nothing....they just never lucky lol

I know Thais married 40 years. Dont know any westerners like that, all dead.