US national in mystery death fall from Nonthaburi building

webfact

52 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So he had rented a storage unit.  One has to wonder what is in said storage unit.  One hopes there is not a body stuffed in a trunk that may have been there for awhile, or maybe just placed inside.  Did the guilt override him, or did he move everything he owned in life into the storage unit due to some type of problem, and then decided to bail on this world.  Or simply, could he have been smoking while standing next to the rail, became light headed and passed out, thus falling over the railing.  So many possibilities.  However may he RIP and condolences to his family and friends once identified further after ensuring they have the right identification.

unusual for an American to commit suicide ....  it just don't add up imo.   was someone else with him?  was there foul play ... ?  I hope i'm wrong but just seems strange. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

People do not just commit suicide because they got no money left!!!!!

Even if they did, are you saying that no American ever runs out of money ?

I'm just saying that statistics show fewer American nationals commit suicide than other nationalities.  I'm just saying that normally one commits suicide due to either health issues,  financial stress, relationship issues.   Americans are more financially stable than Haitians, Mexicans, Africans,  and many other western nationalities.    

Just saying ....

Edited by steven100

14 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I'm just saying that statistics show fewer American nationals commit suicide than other nationalities.  I'm just saying that normally one commits suicide due to either health issues,  financial stress, relationship issues.   Americans are more financially stable than Haitians, Mexicans, Africans,  and many other western nationalities.    

Just saying ....

America is ranked number 20 in the top Countries for suicide and some people are richer and some people are poorer and its not a case of all Americans being rich and everyone else is poor

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

America is ranked number 20 in the top Countries for suicide and some people are richer and some people are poorer and its not a case of all Americans being rich and everyone else is poor

Anyway, I still say this story is strange,  was there sinister play involved.  Just my op.

why was he seen smoking .....  was he having his last smoke before ending it .....  I don't think so ...  a person who is rational will have a cigarette anytime.  A person who is contemplating suicide doesn't decide it's time for a cigarette imo.  

Edited by steven100

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So many?   Such as which others that constitute that "so many"?

If you hang around long enough in Thailand you see too many news articles of “Foreigner Jumped, fell, slipped or flew off a tall building, mostly in Pattaya but a few other places in the south also. Almost never in Bangkok and don’t remember hearing of one in Chiang Mai!
From a few months back…in one article…

.one Haakon Halvorsen, 46 fell off his balcony and died in Pattaya and was apparently suicide, only a few hours after Khun Yulanan, 43 did, and his/her death was put down to a bungled attempt to jump over a disused building, something this person did on a regular basis as some kind of strange short cut.

In June the Foreign & Commonwealth office, alone with ABTA urged British nationals to take care on balconies and sited that last year there were 14 incidents involving Britons and this even prompted the FCO and ABTA to launch a campaign warning of the dangers.

yup…it’s almost a sport here. 

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

unusual for an American to commit suicide

I think you mean it's unusual for an American to commit suicide in Thailand.  One, America isn't that close, so less tourists, and yes, it seems like a far trip just to jump to your death.  Another probably...............Americans in Thailand have more money than blokes and mates, but it's because less Americans retire here.   All pure TVF speculation.  

I just think it's unusual to think jumping from a building is a good way to die.

1000000 pills maybe.     Or perhaps grab a bag and explore some crazy parts of the world until the crazy catches up with you.  

5 hours ago, geisha said:

Are Thai balconies lower than western ones ??  Taking into account westerners are generally taller than Asians.  Very strange. One does not hear much news of people falling from balconies accidentally. It’s either kids climbing on furniture  ( beds etc in bedrooms) or criminal. 

In Pattaya I haven't seen a balcony railing yet that I couldn't easily climb over, and a few that I could accidentally fall over.

16 hours ago, RandiRona said:

So many Falangs falling ...I am sure all coincidences!!

People die from falling off cliffs, balconies, buildings, train platforms all the time everywhere in the world. All it takes is a moment of carelessness or momentarily losing one's balance combined with an already unsafe situation. Since foreigners are less likely to be fully aware of the risks of Thai "architecture" it is more likely to happen to them by that fact alone. But enjoy your conjured up drama if you must. 

2 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

I think you mean it's unusual for an American to commit suicide in Thailand.  One, America isn't that close, so less tourists, and yes, it seems like a far trip just to jump to your death.  Another probably...............Americans in Thailand have more money than blokes and mates, but it's because less Americans retire here.   All pure TVF speculation.  

I just think it's unusual to think jumping from a building is a good way to die.

1000000 pills maybe.     Or perhaps grab a bag and explore some crazy parts of the world until the crazy catches up with you.  

I think you're right about the statistics. I'm American and I don't see that many other Americans. Don't care that much for most of them, that's one reason I'm here. I'm not one of the well off ones either. But people who are suicidal are not in a state of mind where they're going to rationally think out the best means to die. It's more like what's easy than what's good. But the impact of that kind of fall is going to be instant and painless if messy for others to clean up. 

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

unusual for an American to commit suicide ....  it just don't add up imo.   was someone else with him?  was there foul play ... ?  I hope i'm wrong but just seems strange. 

I don't know if you mean just in Thailand, but plenty of Americans commit suicide in and out of the US, the statistics are not that different overall. But not knowing what the scene looked like, people can lose their balance and fall, happens all the time. 

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

hmmm .... very strange indeed.  He rented a storage unit, and was seen smoking by the window.  I suspect the storage unit didn't have balconies so he went out to the area where the balcony was and it looks to be in the middle of the building.   So was he seen smoking on the balcony near the window or was he smoking in his storage unit at the window?  maybe he opened the window and stood near while smoking.  Was someone with him? did the follow him out to the balcony? was foul play involved here?

RIP sir.

very sad indeed.

I think that covered everything... ????

• Thumbs Up 1

Just to add a technical point. If you are going to fall/jump from a building make sure you are at least on the 11th floor to ensure the proper results. Jumping/falling from lower levels is no guarantee of a successful death. See the fiction book "A Long Way Down". Just saying... Nice dark comedy book by the way. RIP. 

The reason this doesn't ad up is because he was seen having a cigarette by the window.

A normal rational person will lite up a smoke at anytime he feels .....

A person who is emotionally charged and thinking irrational and is going to take his own life doesn't just lite up a cigarette.     imo 

Was someone with him at the time?

9 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The reason this doesn't ad up is because he was seen having a cigarette by the window.

A normal rational person will lite up a smoke at anytime he feels .....

A person who is emotionally charged and thinking irrational and is going to take his own life doesn't just lite up a cigarette.     imo 

Was someone with him at the time?

Calming his nerves possibly in order to complete the act, but so much to look into as I said.  What's in the storage unit and have they checked prints etc, to verify it is the person whose ID they found.  MY wallet was stolen here a few years ago, and I wonder if the person who had it on them dies, if they would think it was me...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dpcjsr said:

Just to add a technical point. If you are going to fall/jump from a building make sure you are at least on the 11th floor to ensure the proper results. Jumping/falling from lower levels is no guarantee of a successful death. See the fiction book "A Long Way Down". Just saying... Nice dark comedy book by the way. RIP. 

Plus of course if you jump from the 11th or higher it gives one more time to consider ones future ie is it the correct thing to do.

Why suicide has been mentioned , top yourself if you so wish but a gun , why leave a mess for someone else to live with for the rest of their days .

A very good friend many years ago had his demons catch up with him , 4 of us went overland , 15 countries in 15 weeks to Australia 1970.  Any problems on the way he kept his cool.   A year later end of 1971 he went to work , cleared everything on his desk left a note in his pocket for his folks , he also took a rope to work ,after saying goodbye left work drove to Epping Forest and hung himself. The date of his death could be wrong but the event never goes away.

19 hours ago, Dont confuse me said:

Yet another failed bungee jump.

Of all the ways to go taking a 'header' wouldn't be at the top of my list! Particularly with what's available over the counter at any pharmacy!

Suicide seems to involve a certain amount of overcoming resistance and a last minute change of mind.

Obviously taking tablets is a little unreliable and probably quite easy to back out from.  it also involves a risk of permanent damage without death.

Suicide by hanging often involves the victim tying their hands behind their backs to stop themselves from resisting and there was a video of a jumper who was wearing a sleep mask to help himself jump.

It seems that suicide, like many physical actions, involves a conflict between the conscious and unconscious mind.  This leads to the person who wishes to take their life trying to find ways of ensuring that their survival mechanism isn't able to kick in and derail the attempt.  Jumping off a building is certainly one which is hard to reverse.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2022 at 7:44 AM, webfact said:

Natcha Phara, a security guard, said he heard a loud noise but what with the passing traffic he thought nothing of it.

"Natcha heard a scream, a loud bang, and the sound of a body smashing onto the ground, but he assumed it was just normal traffic noise in Thailand and thought nothing of it."