Stray dogs caught after chasing after tourists and residents in Phuket

webfact

9 hours ago, steven100 said:

This needs to turn into an ongoing Thai campaign to rid the place of stray soi dogs.

They are a pest to tourists and locals. 

"They are a pest to tourists and locals."

You forgot to mention the falangs.

Until I dye, I will never be a local.

Everyday I have to find another way for bicycling because all the stray dogs.

27 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

"They are a pest to tourists and locals."

You forgot to mention the falangs.

Until I dye, I will never be a local.

Everyday I have to find another way for bicycling because all the stray dogs.

so what are you saying exactly?   are you saying the soi dogs are not vermin? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

exterminate the lot of them. 

I have a friend that worked in Brunei.

Every year or two the government would put out a warning. KEEP YOUR DOGS INSIDE on a certain date.

On said date the former headhunters with blowpipes and poison darts would roll thru town. 

I once counted 68 strays in a 1/4 mile stretch in Pattaya, then had to step over 3 more of them at the front door to 7-11.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billsmart said:

Yes, we do have a different understanding of the word "share."

Your one phrase, "we need to manage them" tells me all about you I need to know.

No... Bill again, we have different concepts of the words we are using...

People ‘nearly’ like you are the problem...  You do better because you spay the females preventing further generations of animals which may suffer, at least of those under your ‘management’ (see what I did there). 

Or... in having the females spayed do you not think you managed, or even dominated the situation ?....   I would consider you managed the situation well, to the best of your capabilities with the space and finances you have available.

Without your ‘management’ these dogs would be diseased, pest ridden, fighting, procreated, there would be 100’s more in a few years all suffering... you have prevented this. 

BUT... people who are ’nearly’ like you, those who believe these animals have greater rights than humans feed these animals, which attract more, then there is a scarcity of food, the procreate, multiply and cause more problems, for themselves and humans in the areas.

Those ‘caring humans’ who are ’nearly’ like you Bill, do nothing to improve the situation, they make it worse, unless they can all spay the stray dogs to prevent suffering of further generations. 

And, Bill, just before you go there... these animals are suffering, otherwise they wouldn't need you to feed them in the first place. 

You don't want to "share." You want to "dominate" and "manage" other forms of life, and the environment as whole, to provide you with comfort. You, IMO, have no regard for all the other life on this planet and are hiding your head in the sand regarding the long-term effect of that approach.

As I wrote above... Manage, and manage well. Dominate is your word... were you dominating the female dogs when you forced surgery on them and removed their natural ability to have babies ??... sounds like dominate to me IF I were to take your extreme use of the wording to suit my bias... but I would instead chose to state you managed the situation well.

I do agree that I wish to manage my environment and provide myself with comfort and also security - comfort and security from not being attacked by uncontrolled stray animals which are not part of the natural habitat (not just dogs of course) - you wrote as such yourself, WE (humans) CREATED this “problem”....

We have done this throughout time... managed our environment to provide ourselves with comfort and safety...  You don’t think animals nest Bill ???...   we just do so with far more prolific impact on the environment, I do agree with you there....  

But.. this discussion is about ’stray dogs’...  by your own admission, soi dogs are part of the environment 'WE (humans) CREATED’... regardless of your thoughts as to how we impact the rest of the environment, the soi dog issue is something we (humans) need to control. 

You, and others like you, IMO, ARE the problem. 

I am not feeding soi dogs and encouraging them into residential areas. 

I agree, neither are you. But, as admirable as they are, you’re actions are a drop in the ocean, they do nothing to resolve the situation of people repeatedly being attacked by soi dogs. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I wont say you are wrong as I am sure you are not but what was the circumstances when a cat bit? A snake is a good way of keeping vermin down.

In both cases someone trying to stroke the cat. I know to avoid approaching stray cats but tourists don't.

18 hours ago, proton said:

Bet those dogs had been neutered by the soi dog foundation, they are always boasting how they solved the doggie problem in Phuket. They need slotting, not sterilising, and certainly not just knocked out then moved somewhere else.

Dead right.. not solving the problem, just shifting it to somewhere else.

Lead shot is the answer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, watchcat said:

At least they don't chase people. Harmless IMO.

No they don't, but they can still carry & transmit rabies in addition to damaging peoples property like motorcycle seats and ruin outdoor furniture, they also defecate on other peoples property which stinks to high heaven, cats should be kept enclosed and not allowed to free roam.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steven100 said:

This needs to turn into an ongoing Thai campaign to rid the place of stray soi dogs.

They are a pest to tourists and locals. 

The place must've changed since I stopped going there when Covid started. I used to feed the dogs and monkeys 2 or 3 times a week when I walked up from the car park near the small temple to Channel 3 at the top.  

The dogs I fed 8 years ago must've grown up to be so vicious.

1985809647_KhaoTo-SaePuppiescrop.jpg.321043a2928939ea861a67e1181ef1dd.jpg 436032278_puppykhaotoesaericeIMG_4630500.jpg.6d648e935d845f73bcb6a500abf624fd.jpg  

They certainly weren't a problem when I went there.

872453339_dog1crop600.jpg.a65bd6a951441645938119a8e160e4a3.jpg

456397687_KhaoTo-SaeDogscrop.jpg.8118c44615673e17d0306d6b67f2effd.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Good idea.

I rarely see cats here in Issan, Sakon Nakhon.   People prefer having 30 soi dogs loitering in there yards while they struggle to even sustain themselves or there children.

Misguided empathy for dogs is ugly. 

Words of a Dog Hater........

15 hours ago, proton said:

so who would feed the filthy soi dogs then?

Without humans, dogs, being predators and carnivores, would prey on the other local wildlife. If the population was too large to support all the dogs, their population would eventually diminish to a level that was sustainable.

The large and unnatural size of the dog population has been caused by humans who have imported them, and then discarded them, leaving them to try to fend for themselves. The "soi dog  problem" is just a symptom of human hubris and human disregard for any other life form. 

My point it, we created this problem, and it should be up to us to "fix" it. Many are recommending wholesale slaughter of soi dogs, but that would just be a short-term, local solution. The real solution is for humans to change the way they view themselves in relationship to the world. I'm sure that will not happen, so, unfortunately, we (humans) will go on destroying other animals and plants to provide us with the conveniences we think we need and deserve. We'll keep doing that until we've destroyed most of the Earth's resources. Then, the real solution to problems like this will occur. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

and there's only three participants pointing out of 16 .....  very poor effort by the other 13 .....   they need some attitude adjustment course ....   much more definition if 16 were pointing. 

To be fair one guy is using both arms to point so full marks to him

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... Bill again, we have different concepts of the words we are using...

People ‘nearly’ like you are the problem...  You do better because you spay the females preventing further generations of animals which may suffer, at least of those under your ‘management’ (see what I did there). 

Or... in having the females spayed do you not think you managed, or even dominated the situation ?....   I would consider you managed the situation well, to the best of your capabilities with the space and finances you have available.

Without your ‘management’ these dogs would be diseased, pest ridden, fighting, procreated, there would be 100’s more in a few years all suffering... you have prevented this. 

BUT... people who are ’nearly’ like you, those who believe these animals have greater rights than humans feed these animals, which attract more, then there is a scarcity of food, the procreate, multiply and cause more problems, for themselves and humans in the areas.

Those ‘caring humans’ who are ’nearly’ like you Bill, do nothing to improve the situation, they make it worse, unless they can all spay the stray dogs to prevent suffering of further generations. 

And, Bill, just before you go there... these animals are suffering, otherwise they wouldn't need you to feed them in the first place. 

As I wrote above... Manage, and manage well. Dominate is your word... were you dominating the female dogs when you forced surgery on them and removed their natural ability to have babies ??... sounds like dominate to me IF I were to take your extreme use of the wording to suit my bias... but I would instead chose to state you managed the situation well.

I do agree that I wish to manage my environment and provide myself with comfort and also security - comfort and security from not being attacked by uncontrolled stray animals which are not part of the natural habitat (not just dogs of course) - you wrote as such yourself, WE (humans) CREATED this “problem”....

We have done this throughout time... managed our environment to provide ourselves with comfort and safety...  You don’t think animals nest Bill ???...   we just do so with far more prolific impact on the environment, I do agree with you there....  

But.. this discussion is about ’stray dogs’...  by your own admission, soi dogs are part of the environment 'WE (humans) CREATED’... regardless of your thoughts as to how we impact the rest of the environment, the soi dog issue is something we (humans) need to control. 

I am not feeding soi dogs and encouraging them into residential areas. 

I agree, neither are you. But, as admirable as they are, you’re actions are a drop in the ocean, they do nothing to resolve the situation of people repeatedly being attacked by soi dogs. 

I am doing what I suggested in the last section of my book, The Icarus Syndrome, on this general subject (the continuing human destruction of the Earth's environment). You don't have to read that suggestion in my book, you can read the suggestion online here: The Tale of the Starfish — The Starfish Foundation (thestarfishchange.org)

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

Bill, the soi dogs are a pest.  If you can't see the logic in that then your more stupid than I first thought. 

???? ....   

cheers.

Humans are the cause of this problem. If you can't see that, you're just as smart as 99% of the rest of the humans who are rapidly destroying the entire environment on this planet. ????

Edited by billsmart
  • Like 2

The Phuket City Municipality contacted the Phuket Live Stock Office. This week three furious stray dogs were caught by using anesthetic shots. They were taken to the Stray Dog Shelter at Bang Khanun Forest Park in Thalang.

Here we go Again, they used the wrong ammo, 

They should've used the Cheaper copper/Lead Bullet ,100% effective cure that they won't do it again.

Now they will be out on the road again in  a few days maybe sooner and it will start again.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

The place must've changed since I stopped going there when Covid started. I used to feed the dogs and monkeys 2 or 3 times a week when I walked up from the car park near the small temple to Channel 3 at the top.  

The dogs I fed 8 years ago must've grown up to be so vicious.

1985809647_KhaoTo-SaePuppiescrop.jpg.321043a2928939ea861a67e1181ef1dd.jpg 436032278_puppykhaotoesaericeIMG_4630500.jpg.6d648e935d845f73bcb6a500abf624fd.jpg  

They certainly weren't a problem when I went there.

872453339_dog1crop600.jpg.a65bd6a951441645938119a8e160e4a3.jpg

456397687_KhaoTo-SaeDogscrop.jpg.8118c44615673e17d0306d6b67f2effd.jpg

The ‘seat belt argument’..... [ I never wore a seat belt and I’m still here - ergo seatbelts are not necessary ].

Those dogs may be placid, or they may not be....    but people nationwide get bitten by stray dogs - if that didn’t happen, this thread wouldn’t exist. 

Thus, your anecdote is irrelevant - there are already scores of reports of people getting bitten by stray dogs. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Words of a Dog Hater........

Nothing wrong with hating dogs, filthy, sly, slobbering and pathetic animals. They do not love you and are not your 'friend' they just want feeding. Probably bearaable if their fondness for attacking people was not so common. The only solution to millions of strays and the problems they cause is to disappear them, the meat eating doggie lovers/feeders and breeders have only made the situation worse, they have no solution.  

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Humans are the cause of this problem. If you can't see that, you're just as smart as 99% of the rest of the humans who are rapidly destroying the entire environment on this planet. ????

It could be argued that you are only as smart as those who feed soi dogs and perpetuate an existing problem....

I do agree, humans cause the ’soi dog issue’.... but through our inaction in controlling their numbers. 

This ’soi dog issue’ could be resolved in a few years if action is taken - then future generations of dogs will not suffer - why are you refusing to see that aspect ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I am doing what I suggested in the last section of my book, The Icarus Syndrome, on this general subject (the continuing human destruction of the Earth's environment). You don't have to read that suggestion in my book, you can read the suggestion online here: The Tale of the Starfish — The Starfish Foundation (thestarfishchange.org)

We know you wrote a book Bill... You keep mentioning it in every thread. 

But that simply means you spent the time to put opinion to paper - it does not lend weight to an argument if that argument is flawed.

Did you read the book by Edward Hendrie - The greatest Lie on Earth ???....   I think that sufficiently makes my point on the validity of argument just because a book has been written. 

Stray dogs are an issue - whether humans caused this issue is irrelevant.... the issue simply needs to be resolved because humans are not going anywhere regardless of who you want to blame or have a preference for. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, billsmart said:

Humans are the cause of this problem.

Two separate arguments - Soi dogs in Thailand ... Humans destroying the environment on this planet.

IF you can’t see that a similar statement below could be made of you, Bill. 

35 minutes ago, billsmart said:

If you can't see that, you're just as smart as 99% of the rest of the humans who are rapidly destroying the entire environment on this planet. ????

13 minutes ago, proton said:

Nothing wrong with hating dogs, filthy, sly, slobbering and pathetic animals. They do not love you and are not your 'friend' they just want feeding. Probably bearaable if their fondness for attacking people was not so common. The only solution to millions of strays and the problems they cause is to disappear them, the meat eating doggie lovers/feeders and breeders have only made the situation worse, they have no solution.  

At one and the same time both pathetic and disgusting.

27 minutes ago, steven100 said:
39 minutes ago, billsmart said:

yes ....  you are right  ..  and those feeding them only exasperate the problem.  Neutering solves nothing, they still attack and bite people. 

Take them away to a a 5 rai place and the dog feeders can go live there and feed them until the cows come home.   That's the solution. 

I wonder if Bill takes responsibility IF the stray dogs under his ‘management’ (or care or whatever you would call it) bite someone ??

They’re not his dogs, but he cares for them, feeds them, spays them etc...  So they hang around his area....  IF they run out in the road and knock off a motorcyclist, is Bill ultimately responsible ?

Given his current line of reasoning he may argue that the road should not be there because that is humans destroying the environment....   Humans (the presence of) is the problem. 

A similar logic has been applied in some poorer countries when a foreigner is involved (but not at fault) in a vehicle accident - IF the foreigner wasn’t there the accident wouldn't have occurred, ergo, its the foreigners fault.