To transfer $200K from ANZ in $AUD or Thai Baht?

You are looking at the wrong ANZ section re charges..    3%  is charged in the in stance  you are overseas from your home country and use  your credi card to make a withdrawal on y our  home account, (plus tlhe receiving  bank charge,  usually 500 baht in Thailand(      Thats  the normal fee   most banks worldwide charge Im told.

To make an Intermnational Money  TRANSFER   (as distinct from on overseas TRANSACTION)  the  ANZ bank charge is  FREE if sending less than A$10,000,    or  $32     for  other amounts  .  It is always best, Ive found to send  in Australian dollars,  as  banks in Oz   have  low exchange rates..   OK            your fee is $32...   plius 500 baht     in Thailand bank charge.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

You are looking at the wrong ANZ section re charges..    3%  is charged in the in stance  you are overseas from your home country and use  your credi card to make a withdrawal on y our  home account, (plus tlhe receiving  bank charge,  usually 500 baht in Thailand(      Thats  the normal fee   most banks worldwide charge Im told.

To make an Intermnational Money  TRANSFER   (as distinct from on overseas TRANSACTION)  the  ANZ bank charge is  FREE if sending less than A$10,000,    or  $32     for  other amounts  .  It is always best, Ive found to send  in Australian dollars,  as  banks in Oz   have  low exchange rates..   OK            your fee is $32...   plius 500 baht     in Thailand bank charge.

Thanks, clears up my misconception.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

The payment to WISE is not an International payment...AFAIK.

Correct.

I used NAB internet banking to make a payment of AUD $20,000 to WISE and then to my SCB account earlier this week.

You simply set up WISE as a payee in your internet banking options (same as the ATO or a relative for example).

It's a domestic transfer.

I saved over 7000 THB in currency exchange rates alone on the one transaction, let alone the bank fees that are usually applicable for international transfers.

@giddyup I recommend that you use WISE, even if it takes 4 bites (or more) at the cherry.

You will save both money and frustration from hassles... then you can buy us all a beer with your savings! :drunk: 

11 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Correct.

I used NAB internet banking to make a payment of AUD $20,000 to WISE and then to my SCB account earlier this week.

You simply set up WISE as a payee in your internet banking options (same as the ATO or a relative for example).

It's a domestic transfer.

I saved over 7000 THB in currency exchange rates alone on the one transaction, let alone the bank fees that are usually applicable for international transfers.

@giddyup I recommend that you use WISE, even if it takes 4 bites (or more) at the cherry.

You will save both money and frustration from hassles... then you can buy us all a beer with your savings! :drunk: 

I'M still limited to $10K a day transaction, even for domestic, so that would involve 32 separate transactions to Wise, over 32 days.

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'M still limited to $10K a day transaction, even for domestic, so that would involve 32 separate transactions to Wise, over 32 days.

That must be an ANZ restriction.

NAB allow you to authorise up to $100K per day for domestic transactions.

I think that the ceiling on international transactions is limited to $50K as the ATO wants to know about them.

Have you tried talking/chatting with their online bot to up your limit?

9 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

That must be an ANZ restriction.

NAB allow you to authorise up to $100K per day for domestic transactions.

I think that the ceiling on international transactions is limited to $50K as the ATO wants to know about them.

Have you tried talking/chatting with their online bot to up your limit?

I will be transferring every cent I have in the ANZ to my banks here in Thailand, so it would be pointless having any further discussions with them. I'm 80 now and don't want to cark it with the bulk of my money still in the ANZ. Much simpler to have it here where beneficiaries will be able to access it easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

The payment to WISE is not an International payment...AFAIK.

correct, you pay AUD to a local AU back account. there are multiple methods but OP would be best to use BSB and account number. assuming that ANZ don't give him any grief about transferring such a large amount at once. 

when transfer is complete OP can choose to convert all or part of the funds to THB using the convert function. then push out to a Thai bank account at his leisure.

attached screenshot shows sample AUD transfer to Wise's AU bank account for ten dollars.

Screenshot_20220918-181210_Wise.jpg

1 hour ago, Longreach said:

USE payID  to wise thru ANZ.  small first transfer will take 24 hours.

after that transfers are instant to wise. up to wise how long to get to u. no phone calls etc. daily limits are up to u.

you sure about that boss? I don't know of any Aussie banks that will allow payid transfers for $320k. even getting ANZ to approve an OTC transfer of that amount might be a struggle, the Big 4 aren't particularly generous.

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

you sure about that boss? I don't know of any Aussie banks that will allow payid transfers for $320k. even getting ANZ to approve an OTC transfer of that amount might be a struggle, the Big 4 aren't particularly generous.

I transferred $A200K this morning. ANZ were pretty diligent in making sure it was me, including a callback for passport details etc. They did ask what the funds were for, but that would be a formality, I could have told them to pay off a loan shark.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I transferred $A200K this morning. ANZ were pretty diligent in making sure it was me, including a callback for passport details etc. They did ask what the funds were for, but that would be a formality, I could have told them to pay off a loan shark.

good to hear. only one more transfer and you'll be rid of those numpties forever ????

Edited by Lemsta69

Sorry, I don't get it. I transfer AUD 20K at a time from my credit union via a telegraphic transfer, going through ANZ which charges me a flat fee of $30 irrespective of the amount.

Perhaps you should be seeing if you can get a telegraphic transfer form rather than trying the international transfer route.

I am currently trying to access WISE, which has set off alarm bells in the fraud unit of my credit union.

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Sorry, I don't get it. I transfer AUD 20K at a time from my credit union via a telegraphic transfer, going through ANZ which charges me a flat fee of $30 irrespective of the amount.

Perhaps you should be seeing if you can get a telegraphic transfer form rather than trying the international transfer route.

I am currently trying to access WISE, which has set off alarm bells in the fraud unit of my credit union.

I only paid $30 transfer fee on $200K.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I only paid $30 transfer fee on $200K.

You seemed to have your knickers in a highly advanced twist at the start of the thread, I'm assuming you got a lower exchange rate.

Be that as it may, if you are happy to be shot of ANZ, good for you.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You seemed to have your knickers in a highly advanced twist at the start of the thread, I'm assuming you got a lower exchange rate.

Be that as it may, if you are happy to be shot of ANZ, good for you.

You are correct, I was a tad agitated when I read that ANZ charged 3% for overseas transactions, it wasn't specified that this was for credit cards, but am happy to pay $30 for a $200K transfer. However, my opinion of ANZ hasn't changed. and I will be transferring the balance in the next couple of weeks.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

You are correct, I was a tad agitated when I read that ANZ charged 3% for overseas transactions, it wasn't specified that this was for credit cards, but am happy to pay $30 for a $200K transfer. However, my opinion of ANZ hasn't changed. and I will be transferring the balance in the next couple of weeks.

You are happy to trick yourself into thinking that you are only paying AU$32 for a transfer. In fact you are paying closer to AU$4600 for the transfer of AU$320,000.

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

You are happy to trick yourself into thinking that you are only paying AU$32 for a transfer. In fact you are paying closer to AU$4600 for the transfer of AU$320,000.

Never mind, it's done. Move on.

2 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

It might be hassle to call them, but calling them twice instead of four times is going to cost you around AU$4600. That is AU$2300 per call. 

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. It's money that someone would have inherited anyway, no sleep lost.

Edited by giddyup

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Never mind, it's done. Move on.

Important to make things clear for anyone else reading the thread. Otherwise a new reader might actually believe they are only paying AU$32.

So whilst it seems as if I am addressing you, I'm not really, as I know that the money means less to you than the thought of having to deal with ANZ.

The post is for information that will make sense to the reader.

• Thumbs Up 1