2022 Trip Report for Retirement Extension via Thai Bank Deposit at BKK CW

Greatly appreciate detailed trip reports like this. 

They are undoubtedly the most valuable threads on this section of the TV Forum.

One question for OP:  It seems that you didn't use the appointment system. 

Is the system down or did you choose not to use it?  If the latter, why?

Thanks again, TGJB

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Greatly appreciate detailed trip reports like this. 

They are undoubtedly the most valuable threads on this section of the TV Forum.

One question for OP:  It seems that you didn't use the appointment system. 

Thanks again, TGJB

Thanks!  Good question...

I have used the advance appointments system before at BKK CW.... but just chose not to mess with it or even check into its status this year (though I assume it's working because I did see some appointments people being called)....

As it turned out, I got inside queue ticket number of 12 for the L section where retirement extensions are handled. And was in to start my visit with the IO by 9:30 am or so... So not really much time that I could have saved.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

I made an appointment CW yesterday no problem.

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=20131

OP, in regards to TM30 and 90 day report receipt I have never provided either for my extensions based on retirement at CW. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It was unfortunate the I/O's did not like the bankbook issue you stated in your post above, but in the end it all worked out.

The weird and typically IO part of the bank books issue was....

I was out to BKK CW just last week to transfer my soon-to-expire  current extension stamp into my newly issued, month-old new passport... (I wanted to get the transfer done separately before heading back to do the new extension on a different day).

And as part of doing the stamps transfer process, as I've explained in other posts here lately, the IOs for that process are now carefully checking your bankbook and want photocopies of your pages as part of the stamp transferring process.

The IOs a week ago scrutinized my bankbook very carefully and went line by line through the books and the regular signed photocopies of my bankbook pages to make sure I had complied with the deposit requirements since my last extension a year ago. And, they were perfectly fine, no complaints or issues.

Today a week later, different IOs, and entirely different handling on exactly the same bank book paperwork.  ????

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, in regards to TM30 and 90 day report receipt I have never provided either for my extensions based on retirement at CW. 

I well know that.... ????  But that doesn't change the fact that Immigration had asked me for copies of those two years ago when I didn't have them in my submitted paperwork, and then accepted and didn't return the same from me last year ???? Just not today.   And I was fine with that!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The IOs a week ago scrutinized my bankbook very carefully and went line by line through the books and the photocopies statements to make sure I had complied with the deposit requirements since my last extension a year ago.

What do you mean by photocopies "statements" 

I just provide photocopies of bank book pages. 

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I well know that.... ????  But that doesn't change the fact that Immigration had asked me for copies of those in the prior two renewal processes.:-)  Just not today.   And I was fine with that!

We had this discussion on your previous extension 12 months ago.

I suggest you provided them and the io accepted them. 

Never been required. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What do you mean by photocopies "statements" 

I just provide photocopies of bank book pages. 

Thanks! I corrected and changed my language above.... Their normal request is just for regular signed photocopies of the bankbook....

Only if there is some issue or complication, as occurred with me today, do they then resort to asking for the formal, bank-issued official account statement that you have to pay the bank to issue.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

We had this discussion on your previous extension 12 months ago.

I suggest you provided them and the io accepted them. 

Never been required. 

Previously, two years ago, I didn't provide them, and was asked for them, as were others who posted as much here at the time.

Last year I provided them without being asked, based on the prior year's experience. And the two pages were not returned/kicked back to me, but kept by the IO as part of my paperwork.

This year, I didn't provide them, and wasn't asked for them.

YMMV

• Like 2

Coincidentally, I am about to renew my passport as well, which contains an extension based on retirement.  I report to Immo/CW.

TGJB - are you saying that you were asked for photocopies of an updated 800K+ bank book as a requirement for transferring Immo stamps to a new PP? 

21 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Coincidentally, I am about to renew my passport as well, which contains an extension based on retirement.  I report to Immo/CW.

TGJB - are you saying that you were asked for photocopies of an updated 800K+ bank book as a requirement for transferring Immo stamps to a new PP? 

In short, YES!  Not asked... demanded at BKK CW right now. Told by my IO and confirmed by her supervisor in English last week.

Assuming you have at least retirement extension based on a Thai bank deposit (I dunno if the same is being applied to extension people doing monthly foreign bank xfers)...  as part of transferring your stamp to a new passport:

Immigration at BKK CW told me they are now requiring in addition to the various items on their official list of required documents:

1. that you bring the Thai bankbook associated with your deposit and do a printed balance update in the book on the day of your Immigration visit.

2. that you also provide them with signed photocopies of your bankbook pages covering the period from the start of your current extension up through the date of your Immigration visit to request the stamp transfer to the new passport.

They're going to look through those carefully to make sure that your bank balance never dipped below the required amount from the time of your last extension up through the date you're requesting the transfer of your stamp to a new passport.

I'm guessing, but can't say for certain, that the same requirement is going to be applied to marriage extension holders who rely on Thai bank deposits...

Because, what the IO supervisor actually told me in English was, ANYTIME you're coming to the L section to transact any business there, they're going to be demanding to see your Thai deposit bank book and set of signed bankbook photocopies.

• Thanks 1

@TGJB - I am hoping to do my first 1 year extension at CM this week and found this very informative ,thanks 

Does the Thai bank deposit confirmation letter have to come from a bank in the same province as where you are applying for the extension ?

And the amount ( in the bank letter ) doesn’t have to match up exactly to the passbook balance On the day of application ( ie a 100b difference is allowed as long as both amounts are over 800k ) 

it would suit me to get a bank letter in Phuket ( Bangkok Bank) and do small withdrawal and update the passbook in CM (as I have an early flight and would be in CM immigration much earlier ) 

thanks 

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez. You are allowed to enter bank and make small transaction. 

I was at immigration "before" the branch opened....trying to get the same day passbook update before the branch opens at 8:30am.  I already had my bank letter from the day before.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pib said:

I was at immigration "before" the branch opened....trying to get the same day passbook update before the branch opens at 8:30am.  I already had my bank letter from the day before.

I never understand these posts regarding CW, given most banks have branch there notable exception SCB.

I booked my appointment yesterday for extension retirement.....10.30 am.

Will arrive approx 9am and attend bank.

Make small deposit at same time as obtaining bank letter.

Ask clerk to kindly photocopy last page of bankbook to show "activity" and balance match letter. 

An additional complication to my renewal last year is the IO manning the issue of queue tickets would not issue me a ticket without a same day passbook update.  Before issuing a queue ticket the IO wanted to see the bank letter and same day passbook update.   

Now I didn't have that same day update yet at IO opening time because the passbook update machine couldn't read my passbook and the bank branch was not open yet.

In over a dozen years of doing extensions that was the first time the queue IO had looked closely at my package before issuing a queue ticket....normally they just look for a bundle of paper.   I figured it might be due to too many applicants not having a passbook update when their queue number got called to set down with the IO that processes the application.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

An additional complication to my renewal last year is the IO manning the issue of queue tickets would not issue me a ticket without a same day passbook update.  Before issuing a queue ticket the IO wanted to see the bank letter and same day passbook update.   

Now I didn't have that same day update yet at IO opening time because the passbook update machine couldn't read my passbook and the bank branch was not open yet.

In over a dozen years of doing extensions that was the first time the queue IO had looked closely at my package before issuing a queue ticket....normally they just look for a bundle of paper.   I figured it might be due to too many applicants not having a passbook update when their queue number got called to set down with the IO that processes the application.

Read my post above.

CW like to see "activity" meaning deposit/withdrawal on day of application.

Not difficult. 

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks!  Good question...

I have used the advance appointments system before at BKK CW.... but just chose not to mess with it or even check into its status this year (though I assume it's working because I did see some appointments people being called)....

As it turned out, I got inside queue ticket number of 12 for the L section where retirement extensions are handled. And was in to start my visit with the IO by 9:30 am or so... So not really much time that I could have saved.

You were lucky. 

A friend was there one day earlier.  For retirement extension with 800000 at Krungsri bank (he didn't have the problem with the new bank book), arrived same time as you.

He had to wait for ages,  was thoroughly pis.ed off that at lunch break he didn't have the extension yet, arrived home in the  late afternoon without re-entry.

He had to go again today for the re-entry.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In short, YES!  Not asked... demanded at BKK CW right now. Told by my IO and confirmed by her supervisor in English last week.

Assuming you have at least retirement extension based on a Thai bank deposit (I dunno if the same is being applied to extension people doing monthly foreign bank xfers)...  as part of transferring your stamp to a new passport:

Immigration at BKK CW told me they are now requiring in addition to the various items on their official list of required documents:

1. that you bring the Thai bankbook associated with your deposit and do a printed balance update in the book on the day of your Immigration visit.

2. that you also provide them with signed photocopies of your bankbook pages covering the period from the start of your current extension up through the date of your Immigration visit to request the stamp transfer to the new passport.

They're going to look through those carefully to make sure that your bank balance never dipped below the required amount from the time of your last extension up through the date you're requesting the transfer of your stamp to a new passport.

I'm guessing, but can't say for certain, that the same requirement is going to be applied to marriage extension holders who rely on Thai bank deposits...

Because, what the IO supervisor actually told me in English was, ANYTIME you're coming to the L section to transact any business there, they're going to be demanding to see your Thai deposit bank book and set of signed bankbook photocopies.

I am hoping to do my first 1 year extension atCM this week and found this very informative ,thanks 

Does the Thai bank deposit confirmation letter haveto come from a bank in the same province as where you are applying for the extension ?

And the amount ( in the bank letter ) doesn’t have to match up exactly to the passbook balance On theday of application ( ie a 100b difference is allowed as long as both amounts are over 800k ) 

it would suit me to get a bank letter in Phuket ( Bangkok Bank) and do small withdrawal and update the passbook in CM (as I have an early flight andwould be in CM immigration much earlier ) 

thanks 

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Meaning you can't use the update machines outside the branch downstairs at BKK CW earlier in the morning, and instead have to wait for the Krungsri branch to open at 8:30 am and then have the staff inside do the bankbook update on their machines, which delays the process a bit.

I find that getting my bank letter in the morning -- and have the clerk update the passbook *plus* make a photocopy of the passbook's last page -- eliminates having to visit Immigration's photo copy center just to do a one page copy, which I'd have to do if I'd updated my passbook outside the bank. I learned this the hard way, last year at CM, when I forgot to have the bank clerk make the photocopy. As a result, for an early afternoon appointment, I had to stand in a huge queue at the photocopy center, as they, like Imm, close for lunch. Thus, maybe updating at an outside the bank machine has less utility than you think.....

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Read my post above.

CW like to see "activity" meaning deposit/withdrawal on day of application.

Not difficult. 

The advantage of being able to update one's bankbook, as required by Immigration, BEFORE the bank branch opens at 8:30 am is that you're then ready to be in the Immigration pre-queue before the Immigration office opens just before 8:30 am, and thus able to get a very low queue ticket number for the L section, meaning hopefully you'll be served and out more quickly.

Remember, the updating the bankbook process also involves two steps -- first getting the bankbook itself updated, and then heading down the row in the basement of the Govt. Complex building to get an updated photocopy of the newly updated final bankbook page...and then schlepping back to Immigration.

If a person already has a previously issued bank income letter and can do the bankbook update at the passbook update machine well prior to the 8:30 am openings of both the bank and Immigration, they'll best be able to get a low L section queue number...

And yes, that assumes they haven't used the online system to make a scheduled appointment time with Immigration for the L section.

14 hours ago, Pib said:

the passbook update machine couldn't read my passbook

Dunno what to say about what happened with your situation.

For me, I never had any problem last year with my old Krungsri bankbook.

I got a new Krungsri bankbook earlier this spring, and periodic machine updates since then had worked fine.

The first I encountered any failure for the machine to update my book was Monday when I went to get my income letter at my home branch.  And then same again Tuesday at Krungsri BKK CW.

All I know, is the bank staff at both branches claimed they're having some problem with their bankbook update machines system.

If it was a problem with the bankbooks themselves, then I'm hardpressed to explain how/why my new book updated without problem in their machines from March through August.... but then ceased working just lately....

And yet when the bank staff ran my book thru their desk machines inside the branch, both Monday and Tuesday, they were able to update it just fine.

23 minutes ago, JimGant said:

As a result, for an early afternoon appointment, I had to stand in a huge queue at the photocopy center,

When I was using the photocopy shop in the basement of BKK CW yesterday at various points between 8:30 am and 10 am, there was never any queue line of customers, and I was served immediately upon arrival. In and out within a minute or two,

Also, when I went the in-branch, day-of income  letter at the BKK CW branch two years ago, they made me wait 30+ minutes from the time I finished all the application paperwork and payment with them, until the time they actually issued the letter.

They claimed that was the time it took for them to clear the letter through their HQ branch for some reason. As a result of that unexpected delay, I was somewhat late for my scheduled L section appointment that year. And on that day, I was the very first person in line when the branch opened, so it's not like my request/paperwork for the letter was stuck behind others who had made prior requests.

This year, when I got my income letter at my home Krungsri branch in the Sukhumvit area on Monday, I had my income letter within 5 minutes of the time I signed the application request paperwork and paid the fee.

My general philosophy is to try to get as much of my business done as possible PRIOR to the 8:30 am opening of the BKK CW Immigration office.

• Thumbs Up 1