Myanmar model and junta critic denied entry to Thailand - set to be deported to Vietnam

webfact

image.jpeg

Source: Facebook

A stunning model from Myanmar who has spoken out about the regime in her homeland and sought refuge in Thailand has been barred entry back to the kingdom.

Han Lay - Miss Grand Myanmar 2020 - made an impassioned speech at a pageant in Thailand that angered the generals in Yangon.

She spent most of the last year in Thailand fearing arrest if she returned to her homeland.

On Thursday she found herself detained by immigration at Suvarnabhumi airport after arriving back from a trip to Da Nang in Vietnam.

image.jpeg

File photo

There were irregularities with her passport, these believed to emanate from claims made on her behalf that an Interpol notice had been issued and that the junta in Yangon had revoked her passport.

Thai immigration were refusing her entry and planning to send her back to Vietnam yesterday.

Daily News reported that the Thai immigration bureau said that Han Lay - who is aged 22 or 23 according to a Wikipedia page - was refused entry yesterday under section 12(1) of the 1979 Immigration Act. 

151946394_431684884769636_6880198834825091183_n.jpg

File photo

They were negotiating with an airline about her return to her previous destination. She was being detained at the airport but had not been arrested.

They said this was because she was named in an Interpol Red Notice as a wanted person after her passport was revoked. 

Han Lay spoke out against the Myanmar junta at the Miss Grand International Pageant in Bangkok and called for help from the international community. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Perfectly normal for her to be detained. Military people stick together like glue. That way if a Thai dissident were to try to go to Myanmar ( I know why the hell would he/she ) they would be rebuffed.
Maybe Boss can put her up in his London apartment while she figures out what to do next, they will never find her there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ignore it. Myanmar’s government is not a legitimate one and nothing it does should be considered valid under international law. 

That is all very well but people there still have to suffer them, and Thailand appears to support their stance with this move.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That is all very well but people there still have to suffer them, and Thailand appears to support their stance with this move.

And how does that relate to my post?

I thought my post was very clear in indicating that I am against supporting the junta i Myanmar.

Hence those who escape their jurisdiction should be welcomed with open arms. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

And how does that relate to my post?

Your post seemed to focus on Myanmar's government and not the topic how Thailand should react. I do not feel you made that clear at all. Otherwise no need for the clarification you just made.

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Your post seemed to focus on Myanmar's government and not the topic how Thailand should react. I do not feel you made that clear at all. Otherwise no need for the clarification you just made.

I think my post was very clear. The fact I had to explain such an obvious point speaks volumes about you. 
Now enough of discussing me and time to get back on topic…

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

If the current administration had any sense of morality, and justice (which they obviously do not) they would have welcomed her with open arms. But, they seem to be afraid of Burma for some reason, and do not want to take any chance of offending them. Standing up to highly corrupt, serial killing billionaire generals is the right thing to do. Such cowardice. Such moral bankruptcy, coming from the Thai army. No surprise there. These decisions are made by generals. That says it all. She is absolutely lovely. Someone should come to her rescue!

And why on earth would Interpol issue a red notice for the critic of a foul, murderous, and despicable government. That does not sound right. 

Could be that China holds much sway over Myanmar....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Could be that China holds much sway over Myanmar....

That could be the case, and we all know how much power China wields. And they do not exactly wield it with grace. However, cowardice is cowardice, no matter the reason. 

When the Burmese army says they are uninterested in politics, that is total BS. They are power hungry thugs. Utter despots. The billionaire generals are thieves, robbing the people of their gems, their timber, their minerals and selling heroin for the sake of amassing wealth. And supported by extremist Buddhist monks against the minorities. Broken men. With their recent overthrow, they have self revoked the right to consume oxygen. May the Burmese (I refuse to use the term Myanmar, as it is a nod to the power structure there) youth eventually prevail! May the dinosaurs be pushed out. They are a terrorist army.

And with total support from morally bankrupt Beijing. Xi is a power hungry, tone deaf despot. Accustomed to manipulating news at will, China’s bosses pretend this crisis isn’t happening, that awful crimes are not occurring daily. They seem not to realise that in the world beyond their censors, there is an ever diminishing chance of permanently hiding or denying such atrocities, wherever they occur.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thanks 2