flood in your hood ?

orang37

Sad to see that part of the city wall near Chang Phuak Gate has collapsed. It is to be hoped that a careful restoration is rapidly undertaken. Rapid is not a word usually associated with Chiang Mai but this time the mayor and the governor need to wake up.

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not so sure about that.  It's the weather, and it changes, a wee bit, year to year, and sometimes 5 yr stretches, but no major changes the past century, or that ' I'd ' expect in the future.  Good for headliner, new taxes, and price gouging ... that's about it.

Here's a pretty cool site, click on type of weather, along with your province.  Did for Udon Thani & PKK, as 2 place we've 'lived', and no surprises.

https://climateknowledgeportal.worldbank.org/country/thailand/climate-data-historical

UT got about 1.5 m a year +/- of rain when we lived there, seems to be a bit dryer past few years.

PKK receiving considerably more than UT, past 5 ish years, and thanks for sharing, though has had it's dryer stretches.  From 1.2m to 2.2m over the past 120 yrs.  If it gets less than 1 meter or more than 3 meters a year, then I might get concerned. 

Hasn't happened in the past century+, and don't expect to happen in the next century or 10.

NO major changes since records kept, just some fluctuations every so many years.

All expected, then, now, and in the future.

The temps, low-mean-high, are even more consistent than the rainfall.

A lot of wisdom in that post KungLA.

Of course the weather is changing; one minute sunny and the next raining. But we are talking more serious than a shower on a sunny day.

In England during the early 1970s, we were told that an ice=age was immanent. We were scared. I was so scared I bought an apartment in Spain. But then 1976 arrived. I can recall that summer well. My local fishing lake lost half its water. We didn't have anything other than hot sun for 3 months.

Well the ice-age came and went so quickly it didn't get noticed. Never mentioned again after 1976. Now we are entering into a period of hot and dry.

Some people think activity on the sun's surface has an influence. Others think it is us - the human - causing the mayhem. But we must be aware that 'once in a blue moon' occurrences happen. So fair play to you lifting your house high to avoid the muddy water.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Didn't The Clash mention it in a song in 1979 ?

Could be. It was a time, long ago, when 'popular' musicians had a loud and piercing voice. The only big name I hear speaking out right now is 'Right said Fred'.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

NO major changes since records kept, just some fluctuations every so many years.

All expected, then, now, and in the future.

Obviously in your opinion fluctuations are not a problem.

Try telling that to the flood victims, the firefighters, the farmers, rescue services, medical workers etc etc.

55 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

But we must be aware that 'once in a blue moon' occurrences happen.

Hardly once in a blue moon.

In Dec 2011 our wells ran out during my father in laws funeral, caught out, had to fetch water by the bucket to wash the dishes. Bit surprising considering the big flood that year.

Between then and 2016 the wells lasted longer and longer and have never run out in the last six years.

Since 2016 there has been more and more rain in Jan/Feb, this year started in earnest Feb and has never let up.

The way the weather is going it will be the tourists that are the once in a blue moon occurrence.

i think that the extent and severity of climate change in our time reflects the result of human actions on a mass scale in a way unique to our time.

The larger historical context of geological/climatic change over eons, as volcanic activity, earthquakes, plate tectonics, meteoric and cometary impact,  and the vacations in the angle of inclination of the earth's axis to the sun ,,, those vast forces that once made the arctic tropical, lifted up the Himalayas, created the mediterranean, etc.

... that context is still there, but, i do not think the periodic flooding of the Ping can be directly explained by our changing climate. If i were in Pakistan, right now, i might think differently.

Perhaps more rain, and flooding, here that reaches far past previous limits ... will change my mind.

cheers, ~o:37;

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Build in low lying flood plain, and you're going to get flooded out, every now & then, if not every year.  hmm ... and yet, they stay.

Your gov't decides to channel the natural waterways your way, you're going to getting flood.

Nothing but, 'you shouldn't be there to begin with' or 'simply mismanagement of natural resources' 

Pretty certain, there was floods there every year or so, before anyone decided to build or farm there, or the latter, pure mismanagement.

Better choice = better living environment.

And what has that got to do with the wild fires and droughts.

Obviously the bigger picture is a bit too big for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

And what has that got to do with the wild fires and droughts.

Obviously the bigger picture is a bit too big for you.

Natural occurrences for millions of years.  Nothing has changed, along with people believing whatever they're told.

If there were no humans on the planet, there would still be wild fires & droughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Natural occurrences for millions of years.  Nothing has changed, along with people believing whatever they're told.

If there were no humans on the planet, there would still be wild fires & droughts.

Good deflection, but if there were no humans there would be nobody dying.

Fairly obvious you have little interest in preventing death.

• Haha 1

I want to express to BritMantoo, shock, holy cow, oh my god, <deleted>, but we only have stupid versions of “like” to hit now in response to massive flooding.  It makes no sense and I think he is saying maybe my old housing village might be suffering also and I am curious about that.  I have been in some serious floods in Chiang Mai and gives me a lot of anxiety and concern for others now that I know what it is like to live through total devastation, like what happened to me in 2005.

And near flooding in 2011?  when I lived near Mee Chok market.  I guess that is happening again?  I hope everyone is okay!!

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2022 at 1:27 AM, BritManToo said:

Very wet all the way through San Sai and MaeJo, flooded road outside my moobaan.

Torrential rain all through last night and most of last week.

Forecast of heavy rain for the next week.

I meant to quote that before I wrote above.  And Orang37, I hope you will be okay.

• Like 2

I’m waiting for Hurricane Ian where I live now.  I’m thinking Thailand has had less extreme weather than what I have been experiencing since living here.  I have already been through two hurricanes in 4 years, multiple lightening hits to my house, and near tornadoes.  I think I might have made a mistake moving back to the US.  

Actually it has been quite a nightmare in most measurable ways …in comparison I suppose.  The only good thing is that I have central air con and about 5-6 months of so-called winter that isn’t hotter than hell.  Really, that is all.????

Food sucks too!!

21 minutes ago, amykat said:

I’m waiting for Hurricane Ian where I live now.  I’m thinking Thailand has had less extreme weather than what I have been experiencing since living here.  I have already been through two hurricanes in 4 years, multiple lightening hits to my house, and near tornadoes.  I think I might have made a mistake moving back to the US.  

Yep, without hurricane season, FL was first choice for retirement, as ticks all the boxes for me.  weather, cost of living, housing (homestead)/ tax wise, nice beaches & Caribbean next door.

Got chased twice by hurricanes while holidaying there.  Drove through just after Hurricane Andrew hit on the way to the Keys, not something I'd want to be near ... EVER

Scratch FL, that left TH - only 1 in past century or so (Chumphon), not much to be concerned about, no earthquakes, no tornados.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, orang37 said:

wrong. 6 years we had a 4.0. not uncommon to have a small one every month.

Mae Chan fault line <click>

But unless crappy construction, they're a big nothing.

Stumping my toe is more of a concern than quakes here.

No worries down here at PKK.  One typhoon hit Chumphon, over 30 yrs ago.  It would actually have to turn up the Gulf to be a concern for us.

Edited by KhunLA

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Stumping my toe is more of a concern than quakes here.

I am more concerned about random uninformed opinions coming out of your mouth than what happens to your toe.

Perhaps you should let the folks in Chiang Rai whose homes were damaged by the 6.3 in 2014, which also seriously damaged Wat Rong Khun ... that the quale caused no damage.

Edited by orang37
recovering identity after alien abduction

2 hours ago, orang37 said:

I am more concerned about random uninformed opinions coming out of your mouth than what happens to your toe.

Perhaps you should let the folks in Chiang Rai whose homes were damaged by the 6.3 in 2014, which also seriously damaged Wat Rong Khun ... that the quale caused no damage.

Yes I remember that one, read the news reports, all the photos, a big nothing & damage from poor construction.

• Haha 1