Breakdown and deterioration of materials.

phetphet

Yes I've had the same with lots of things.

Was gifted a nice pair of original trainers a few years ago and as i didn't need them straight away they were stored for a few years. First time i put them on and went somewhere they basically fell apart. All the glues and rubbers had turned to a sticky mess.

Also have a limited edition signed motorcycle helmet that i keep for display (Covered 95% of the time). All the rubber seal parts have perished and fell of in chunks or got sticky and oily. The neck lining has disintegrated like your backpack lining. Strangely the one i use everyday is fine. 

Always assumed its the humidity and high ambient heat as you can control the other things. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it's the humidity, even my loudspeakers degraded and my gfs leather bags got moldy when we weren't in our condo and the AC was off the whole time...

A fotographer friend has his equipment in a room with AC 24/7 here even when he's not in Thailand, else it just rots away...

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

Not sure what is causing it. Heat? Humidity? Does anyone know? Is there anything that can be done to avoid it? 

A lot of the plastic material in Thailand is produced with little or no plasticizer. This makes the material cheaper but a limited life span. Built in obsolescence may well be a commercial  decision.

Where the material is made to a standard, degradation may well be down to some other cause.

We have some old 25ltr paint pots that are been used as buckets and have been in use for longer than the 14 years I have been here. Washing up bowls and the like tend to go brittle and hardly last 2 years.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Stainless steel rusts here also, i put it down to Chinese dumped steel but maybe it's just the climate 

There is a type 430 stainless steel that has a ferritic content and that will rust, easily identified with a magnet.

Any of the austenitic stainless steel types will not rust whatever the climate.

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

There is a type 430 stainless steel that has a ferritic content and that will rust, easily identified with a magnet.

Any of the austenitic stainless steel types will not rust whatever the climate.

Things like bolts which are stainless steel all the same but one will rust, or even expensive bicycle fittings designed for outside use so shouldn't rust but they do sometimes, that's why I'm suspicious it's poor quality Chinese steel

• Like 1

I agree, and then wonder if maybe what I thought was legit was fake....  probably real, not 100% sure.

Zippers lock up...... 

shoes are horrible here

jacket liners....yup, issues

most things will have to be replaced.....   buy used, if you can.

Just lower your expectations.......  i'd rather live in a humid place with this than Iceland with things staying pristine

i remember when bolts on my bicycle would snap off if I tried to tighten them just a little........more rust this year but bolts seem stronger.  lol.  

shoes are a lose-lose for sure

learning curve.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

A lot of the plastic material in Thailand is produced with little or no plasticizer. This makes the material cheaper but a limited life span. Built in obsolescence may well be a commercial  decision.

Where the material is made to a standard, degradation may well be down to some other cause.

We have some old 25ltr paint pots that are been used as buckets and have been in use for longer than the 14 years I have been here. Washing up bowls and the like tend to go brittle and hardly last 2 years.

Items bought outside of Thailand deteriorate in just the same way as those bought here. My computer, various containers, bags, suitcases, pairs of trainers etc that we have brought from outside Thailand have all suffered the same sort of deterioration mentioned by others above.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is known that ozone (triple-bonded oxygen, i.e. O3) will break down certain kinds of plastic, foam, and most especially rubber.  In areas of high traffic, ozone is one of the pollution products from vehicle traffic that can be residual in the air for awhile until it breaks down.  Being heavier than air (48 AMU vs. 28 for N2, 32 for O2, 44 for CO2, etc.), it tends to settle (called ground-level ozone).  Rubber products tend to turn to mush in its presence; other products will break down in other ways.

Because of the chemistry involved, there is less ozone potential with proper pollution controls (e.g. use of a functional catalytic converter).  Such controls are not uniformly mandated in Thailand.  Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by AsianAtHeart
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

A lot of the plastic material in Thailand is produced with little or no plasticizer. This makes the material cheaper but a limited life span

While that is an interesting idea and there may be some degree of truth there I have items that when in use in other countries with a different climate to Thailand have an extremely long lifespan, however in Thailand, and I don’t pretend to know the reasons, they crumble away, an example are the Festool sanding pads (not local, not built down to a price, certainly with normal amounts of plasticisers) they have a remarkably short lifespan. The same pads used in the U.K. or stored in Japan will ware out before breaking down.

While I agree many things made in Thailand or "For Thai market" in China is very low quality I do not limit this condition to just those things.

I have had high quality leather dress shoes made in Europe just fall apart in a shoe cupboard after a year or two in Thailand. I mean I went to pick them up & the uppers just came off the soles

I think it is just the insane heat & humidity that destroys many things things in Thailand

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Things like bolts which are stainless steel all the same but one will rust, or even expensive bicycle fittings designed for outside use so shouldn't rust but they do sometimes, that's why I'm suspicious it's poor quality Chinese steel

By definition rust can only occur where there is an Iron(ferritic) content.

Type 430 stainless steel, wherever it is produced has always been regarded as a poor quality stainless steel and cannot be used in certain environments such as medical and food.

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Items bought outside of Thailand deteriorate in just the same way as those bought here. My computer, various containers, bags, suitcases, pairs of trainers etc that we have brought from outside Thailand have all suffered the same sort of deterioration mentioned by others above.

What are you trying to say?

That the Thais use the same amount of plasticizer as other countries.

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

While that is an interesting idea and there may be some degree of truth there I have items that when in use in other countries with a different climate to Thailand have an extremely long lifespan, however in Thailand, and I don’t pretend to know the reasons, they crumble away, an example are the Festool sanding pads (not local, not built down to a price, certainly with normal amounts of plasticisers) they have a remarkably short lifespan. The same pads used in the U.K. or stored in Japan will ware out before breaking down.

What did you find difficult about this statement in my post?

"Where the material is made to a standard, degradation may well be down to some other cause."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

What did you find difficult about this statement in my post?

"Where the material is made to a standard, degradation may well be down to some other cause."

What do you find difficult about the specific quotation used and my response to that specific quotation, pointing out that high quality items rot in Thailand but not in more temperate climates 

I did not use the part of your post that you are now using. 

I try to make things as airtight as possible, shoes are double bagged, golf clubs similar if not in use, things that are left out and not used go very quickly, I too had a good quality motorcycle helmet, boots and jackets when I first got here which I wasn't using and all the liners and softer bits decayed very quickly. Had the leathers all wrapped up and they were fine so I sold them after they'd been here 10 years.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Quite, you truncated the post and went off at a tangent.

No tangent. The post topic is Breakdown and deterioration of materials. The post gives examples of items that breakdown here that do not breakdown in other climates.

I replied to a quoted part of your post. There is no obligation to quote and reply to all of a post. Though I didn’t “go of on a tangent” going of on tangents are  common features of fora like these.