US Embassy in Russia tells Americans to leave the country

Scott

Some context on the border situation that Americans if they go soon will be competing with.

People (mostly Russian men) that left over a few days: Estimated 250,000!

Cost of an air ticket from Siberia out of Russia: 9,000 Euros!

Which continues to beg the question, will they close the borders soon?

4 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Ah, another propaganda piece from the collective west. All the videos I’ve seen shows how happy the people in Xinjiang are and how their lives have benefited from the central government.

In any case, this thread is not about human rights. Try to stay on topic.

Are you serious?  Those wouldn't be Chinese made videos, would they?

9 hours ago, vandeventer said:

There's always women and young boys left to help fight his war. He won't give up until his Generals or anyone close to him takes him out.

That is an option which might be under consideration.

Many Russians have a reasonable lifestyle which they enjoy, the last thing they want is to go fight in a war.

Many Russians businesses are being destroyed by Putin..

taking him out might be a solution.

• Like 1

Information for U.S. Citizens in Russia – Travel Options Out of Russia

We are providing the information below to assist U.S. Citizens planning to depart Russia given the uncertainty surrounding circumstances there following recent Russian military actions in Ukraine. This page is updated once monthly.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/informationforuscitizeninrussia.html

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Information for U.S. Citizens in Russia – Travel Options Out of Russia

We are providing the information below to assist U.S. Citizens planning to depart Russia given the uncertainty surrounding circumstances there following recent Russian military actions in Ukraine. This page is updated once monthly.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/informationforuscitizeninrussia.html

Once monthly?

That's very inadequate during this current situation.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK, I know the topic here is about Americans in Russia, but I'm wondering what happens to the Russians that fled who run out of money. So they get deported back to Russia. Imagine that if you think you've had a bad day!

image.png.7588a8b76332598ae2121e03e465de98.png

image.png.bf4851fccd693e49a87423df5d32f1e3.png

source:https://www.yahoo.com/news/georgians-protest-russians-fleeing-across-033739018.html

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Yeah, not pleasant.

The Georgians have a point. They could easily decide to tighten their visa rules on a dime as any country has the right to.

I have an idea that might help a little bit.

I'd like to see the US offer expedited emergency immigration to highly skilled Russian draft dodgers. Many of the fleeing Russians would make highly desirable migrants and it would be a kick in Putin's nuts for the US to benefit from the brain drain he created. The US already will to some degree but I'd love to see it formalized and expanded.

The program could even be very picky. We need these skills but not some other skills.

That on top of taking in real refugees from Ukraine of course.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I think it's from Midnight tonight Finland is blocking all Russians from entering at all border crossings.

Not surprising but a real blow to those that have Schengen visas who had a reasonable right to expect to be able to cross into the EU that way.

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Why not? Russians have an abundance of highly skilled IT workers.

Wouldn't it be great to take in some Russians who have inside knowledge of the Russian troll farms and are willing to share it in return for safety from Putin's war and draft?

33 minutes ago, steven100 said:

You can't be serious ....  I don't think that idea would go down to well with most of the West.  imo

I'm definitely serious but I agree there would be political problems. The US has a shortage of citizens with higher education in the sciences. As someone who has worked with highly skilled Russian immigrants I've been very impressed. I think not just IT but a wide variety of fields. Grabbing Russia's best and brightest might just pay for the war effort and Russia will be weaker with such elites gone away for good 

Surely for most Russians in Georgia that isn't their last stop in life. They need a more permanent landing spot.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I think it's from Midnight tonight Finland is blocking all Russians from entering at all border crossings.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Not surprising but a real blow to those that have Schengen visas who had a reasonable right to expect to be able to cross into the EU that way.

From a tactical point of view, it may make sense to refuse entry. If they can flee rather than being trapped in Russia, it somehow reduces the potential pressure on Putin, 

Russia sends 20,000 troops to Belarus border :  

image.png.76c644d66f7d9b00b45a19fcf8af759f.png

source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/belarus-prepares-airfields-railways-receive-175236777.html

Measures are underway to inspect and prepare the Belarusian railway for the transportation of troops. Also, according to the available information, training of employees of the private security company Gart-Service (Belarus) is underway under the leadership of people from the Wagner PMC (Russia)

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 7:17 PM, Jingthing said:

Another thing.

The timing of this dire warning is probably related to the  mobilization.

Males are being questioned trying to leave Russia. All are being asked when they bought their ticket if by air before or after mobilization.

As of a few days ago some are not being let out because of assumption of evading the draft.

The air and land  border exit option might be closed soon to all males 18 to 65 or even a full closure.

Dual citizens might get their draft order before they even try to leave with the US embassy powerless to help.

I've been following multiple youtubers in Russia. They all recently escaped and one so recently that he witnessed several rejections. Some others were smarter and left further back.

I don't think this warning is about a US first strike. It's about what's happening in Russia already.

It's getting worse and worse very quickly.

image.png.cbb0c53f95be7844d3e1de0654574ac2.png

source:https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-americans-russias-khl-face-084549558.html

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Also Italy, probably an alert for all countries to leave would be good!

The Italian Embassy in the Russian capital issued an alert on Thursday urging all its citizens in the country to leave if their stay is not necessary.

image.png.e3c5e173f150e17f3c2a035f03926fce.png

source:https://www.yahoo.com/news/presidents-nine-nato-member-states-131200901.html

A welcome gesture ....  however I think they need them now ,  not next year    !! 

image.png.31f176e1cdf76feae96dca10be557917.png

BERLIN (AP) — German Defense Minister Christine Lambrecht on Sunday announced the delivery of 16 wheeled armored howitzers produced in Slovakia to Ukraine next year.

The Zuzana systems would be produced in Slovakia and financed jointly with Denmark, Norway and Germany, the German minister told public broadcaster ARD after returning from her first trip to Ukraine since the start of the war there.

The Zuzana howitzer is the flagship product of the Slovak defense industry and the only heavy weapon system produced in the country, dpa reported. According to the manufacturer, it can fire all types of NATO 155 millimeter caliber ammunition.

Edited by steven100