Did you waste your life ?

georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's time again to quote Stephen Leather's character Jack Nightingale:

Nightingale blew smoke up at the sky. ‘Everybody dies,’ he said. ‘Life is a zero sum game. The best you can do is to enjoy yourself as you go along.’
‘But smoking shortens your life.’
‘Maybe. But it only takes the years from the end of your life. Not the beginning or the middle.’
Jenny looked at him, confused. ‘I have absolutely no idea what you mean.’
Nightingale took another drag on his cigarette before continuing. ‘Say I live until I’m seventy-five without smoking. And say I die at seventy if I do smoke. I lose five years. But really, Jenny, what am I going to be doing during those five years? Sitting in a bedsit somewhere watching the football, assuming I’ve enough of a pension to be able to afford Sky Sport?’

I gave up smoking in 1983.

Before Jack Nightingale dies at age 70, he will most likely have a year or two of emphysema or lung cancer. If he's lucky, he'll go out quickly with a heart attack or stroke.

I agree one should enjoy oneself as they go along. It's possible to do that if one keeps in shape, even at an advanced age. Having enough money helps as well.

I see quite a few foreigners here following the Nightingale philosophy, drinking and smoking themselves to death. IMO it's pitiful their lives are so empty alcohol and nicotine are employed to fill them.

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

It is the middle class wasting their life, working every month hand to mouth, incredibly time poor, and in the end would probably get less pension than your nephew.

Dropped in to visit old high school friends (I did not graduate) who did this. Get the white picket fence, 2-1/4 kids, work at the same place for 30 years getting 2 weeks off a year.

They all look 20 years older than me, and act even older. P and M all the time. Forgot what it means to be happy.

Me - at 17 - bought a Harley

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

I wasted mine by not having kids. 41 now and i wish i could travel back in time to correct this. I have friends and their kids are about to go to university. This must be one of the most satisfying experiences ever. So jealous of them. Yes i have money but what's the use of hoarding it in the absence of a family and loved ones who are of greater value than any amount of material wealth.

Thinking of having kids at this age asap or adopting. 

Good unless wife is bad

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I gave up smoking in 1983.

Before Jack Nightingale dies at age 70, he will most likely have a year or two of emphysema or lung cancer. If he's lucky, he'll go out quickly with a heart attack or stroke.

I agree one should enjoy oneself as they go along. It's possible to do that if one keeps in shape, even at an advanced age. Having enough money helps as well.

I see quite a few foreigners here following the Nightingale philosophy, drinking and smoking themselves to death. IMO it's pitiful their lives are so empty alcohol and nicotine are employed to fill them.

Obviously it's sad when some people are only happy if they are drunk.

But on the other hand, there are also some "I live very healthy" guys who don't drink and don't smoke and maybe they are vegan. And it seems many are miserable because they don't allow themselves to i.e. have a drink from time to time.

main-qimg-7df618923305c86fc725a586191e02

45 minutes ago, curtklay said:

I wasted the most time reading this post.

Answering it is just another waste of time. Is being productive and making money the greatest thing we can do in live? To Learn about life you must come close to death or see death all around you. If you did, you wouldn't be asking such a stupid question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas KH said:

I wasted mine by not having kids. 41 now and i wish i could travel back in time to correct this. I have friends and their kids are about to go to university. This must be one of the most satisfying experiences ever. So jealous of them. Yes i have money but what's the use of hoarding it in the absence of a family and loved ones who are of greater value than any amount of material wealth.

Thinking of having kids at this age asap or adopting. 

After my 1st marriage ended, with an 18 month daughter, now 25, I swore never again.

A few years later and a trip to Thailand, well what do you know, remarried, very happily this time around, 15 years and going strong, two kids, 8 and 13, I was 49 when the 1st one came along, and 54 when the 2nd one came along, now 62, your never too old to enjoy life with kids. 

We travel a lot, outside of school hours we catch up on weekends and do lots of stuff, do I feel old, nope, I feel reborn, don't know about the young wife though...LOL.

To the original poster, do I have any regrets in life or did I waste my life, nope, life is a journey, the better you plan it, the harder you work, invest and enjoy it while going along the planned route, the better retirement has worked out for me.

Coming from a poor family, life here is very rich so to speak, take me back to the old country and life would be miserable because of a lot of things, cost of living for one, you can work out the rest.

Actually I do have some regrets, i.e. letting the ones that got away, get away, but to be honest, at the time, I wasn't interested, besides, here has made up for it, and no need to chase them ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I took in the 'village orphan', sort of, @ 48 yrs old, and she was shy of 3 yrs old, graduated Uni last year, and yea ... one of the most satisfying (long term) things I've done in life.

I never thought I had either the time or money to do it right in the past.  Was nice when I had both.  I'd take in another, but not sure how long I'll be around.  Plus getting a bit selfish in old age, and it's 'me time' as enjoy being O&A.  

Never too late ... 

Great stuff KhunLA and not dissimilar to my situation, whereby when my girlfriend moved in with me here, she bought down her six-year-old daughter to live with us and we got on famously.

Unfortunately the relationship ended after about six years, but I was keen on "unofficially adopting" the daughter and taking care of her for her future; so I gave them money to live on and put the daughter through high school, and now she is at university north of Bangkok and doing very well, training to be a teacher, and we speak almost daily and whenever she has free time she comes down to see me here in Phuket.

She is wonderful young lady, almost 22 now, and like you, this was one of the most satisfying things I have done in my life and I wouldn't change it for the world. In addition, she is set up for life when I decide to visit the great vineyard in the sky.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Wasted or victim of circumstance, or even by choice.

Everyone has a "story" and all anyone can do is whats seems right to them at the time.

Hindsight is always very clear and easy, at the time, not so much.

Just think that that could easily have been you if you hadnt made the choices you made. Appreciate what you have, while you have it, no one is perfect and we ALL make mistakes.

I think if I started saying things like there is no such thing as free choice, I would get a lot of angry people... but then that will only be because of their past circumstances over which they had no control.. I had better shut up now...

Edited by milesinnz

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously it's sad when some people are only happy if they are drunk.

But on the other hand, there are also some "I live very healthy" guys who don't drink and don't smoke and maybe they are vegan. And it seems many are miserable because they don't allow themselves to i.e. have a drink from time to time.

main-qimg-7df618923305c86fc725a586191e02

I'm not teetotal, I enjoy a glass of red wine or a couple of Sangsom's once or twice a week. Or a cookie with some THC.

I'd say I am quite healthy for my age. Having any substance control me would be anathema.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Wasn't that on the T-Shirt from Vegas Bar, or what was the name of that bar in Pattaya? 

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

~ George Best

"I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted."

~ WC Fields

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Great stuff KhunLA and not dissimilar to my situation, whereby when my girlfriend moved in with me here, she bought down her six-year-old daughter to live with us and we got on famously.

Unfortunately the relationship ended after about six years, but I was keen on "unofficially adopting" the daughter and taking care of her for her future; so I gave them money to live on and put the daughter through high school, and now she is at university north of Bangkok and doing very well, training to be a teacher, and we speak almost daily and whenever she has free time she comes down to see me here in Phuket.

She is wonderful young lady, almost 22 now, and like you, this was one of the most satisfying things I have done in my life and I wouldn't change it for the world. In addition, she is set up for life when I decide to visit the great vineyard in the sky.

After the short relationship with the mother ended, she left without her daughter, and it was bliss from there on.  Her grandparents lived nearby, and knew she was better off with me than the family, so nobody objected.  Unconventional taking in of the 'village orphan' ... and has really kept me grounded.

Protected me from myself ... idle mind & hands and all that ????

• Like 2

I would say to the OP, and I quote - "Don't judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes"!

For some people, work is a means to an end. For others, it's an end in itself.

Work is only work if there is something else you would rather be doing.

• Thumbs Up 1

I stroll around the estate park,and they all go for morning walks sine look like ex druggies ,old hippies,some driving those mobility scooters and many in their 60's on walking sticks looking very old.

I think <deleted> where the F did these people go wrong to live in this awful government housing block ?

They must of wasted their life .

From the original post.

They should all move to Thailand with their government pensions. Many people say Thailand is the best country in the worl to waste your life away.

• Like 1